Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (July 7-13)

Here’s this week’s training log for my journey toward the 26.2 Mile Fun Run. If you want to follow along, you can read weeks 12, and 3. I also log my training on DailyMile, which is a great online workout log.

Also… if any of you have actually trained for and completed a marathon, I’d love your feedback. I’m not following any “out-of-the-box plan”, and I’m not shooting for a time goal (yet), but I am up for trying new workouts and ideas.

1001868_162259750625968_785938917_n

July 7: Off. I wanted to fully recover from my 10 miler on the Cooper River Bridge and downtown the day before- and I think it rained.

Meanwhile, I left the shirt I wore for my 10 miles in the back of my car, so my car reeked of smelly runner. Great idea to change clothes before breakfast + driving home because it’s way more comfortable, bad idea to leave them in the car.

July 8: 7 mile treadmill runch (run at lunch). I ran for 58 minutes, 8:15 average pace- which I built up to. I don’t remember what I watched on TV but I’m sure it was really trashy to get me through 7 miles on the “dreadmill”. I went to yoga at East Shore that night.

July 9: 5 miles of speedwork with Katie and Kindal. After warming up, we ran 800 meters at 10K pace, then 200 meters at 5K pace, then recovered by walking 200 meters. We did this 4 times then cooled down.

I’m so glad I found other girls to do speedwork with- it makes it a lot easier to actually *do* speedwork.

My workout chart picture

We didn’t do the blogger thing and take pictures of our sweaty selves after a workout (why do people do this? I don’t get the appeal…), but definitely check out their blogs while you are at it.

July 10: 45 minute BodyPump class. I picked this particular class because it focuses more on upper body and I wanted to keep my legs fresh for Thursday night’s race.

July 11: 5 miles total, including the Race the Landing 5K, where I ran a 23:53. I ran the exact same time in the only other night race I’ve ever done, the i5K. So weird to run the same time! I enjoyed this race and will definitely do them next year Recap coming later this week.

July 12: Rest day! I ran some errands like shopping for groceries and getting gas, and I ate lunch and watched Big Brother 15. I worked, obviously, then took a really long nap to prepare for the 3rd Annual Midnight Half Marathon.

July 13: 13.1 miles at the 3rd Annual Midnight Half Marathon. Two local runners, Thomas and Kohut, host this every year at Folly Beach (I think one of them has a house there).

You don’t get many chances to run a half marathon in July, much less one that is at midnight and includes going to the beach and dipping your toes in the sand at the end. People said it was crazy that we got out to run at midnight, in drizzling rain- but I think they were crazy for sleeping. You can sleep the other 364 nights of the year, you only get one to run at midnight with friends.

Midnight_half_marathon

We also had a lot of people run shorter distances too- no one raced or tried to run fast, it was for fun. My finish time was 2:11:33- I ran with and talked to Paul, Steve, and Katy, a new running friend I met that night. As you can see, the event had a large participation and was the first half marathon for a few people.

I got home at 3, went to bed at 4, and slept a whopping 4.5 hours. I fail at sleeping in.

I did Yoga for Hamstrings, Hips, and Back that afternoon on DoYogaWithMe.com. We all need more yoga and these free online tutorials make it easy to get. I woke up Sunday morning feeling rested and recovered, so I think it helped.

Weekly totals: 30 miles, 1 BodyPump class, 2 yoga classes.

I *soooo* felt Thursday night’s 5K when I ran the Midnight half, and I admire anyone who races back to back! That’s really hard. Even though I didn’t run as many miles this week, I think I had a good training week since I did a race and speedwork, and I think the rest will help me attack next week’s workouts. Happy Running!

Other posts this week:

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (July 7-13)

1. Oh my goodness. I would LOVE to do a midnight half marathon if I lived in the south and it was drizzling. It seriously sounds like so much fun. And to take it at a nice, easy pace is even better 🙂 I, too, would have to take a nap and also would not be able to sleep in.

Yeah, I took a long nap the day before, but a lot of that was due to eating something for lunch that did not agree with me. I had a broccoli and cheese soup and it put me OUT on Friday afternoon! I need to be careful about foods lately, I don’t know what is up…

2. runner1313 says:

What marathon ate you training for? I just ran the Hilton Head Firecracker 5000 last week, currently training for marathon #6 in Asheville, NC.

I’m training for the Darlington Marathon. It’s Sept. 28, inaugural race. Clay’s parents live nearby so we can stay with them the night before and lots of my family and friends can see me finish- which is why I picked that particular race.

Good luck training for Asheville- that’s the same weekend as mine and I have some friends doing it.

3. The midnight half sounded so awesome. I was sad I am not up to that type of mileage yet post injury time off.
    And I admire your treadmill run. Anything more than 30 minutes on the treadmill and I am pulling my own hair out.

Hehe, that’s why I watch TV on it. And I watch *trashy* TV… like shows I’d never watch at home, I do watch them on the ‘mill.

I mostly just do intervals on the treadmill but sometimes I do a progressive run so that I’m running faster at the end. I could never just set it at 7 mph and go, I would die of boredom (and it wouldn’t be very effective use of a treadmill).

The midnight half was fun, we had a lot of people run less though… some just did a 5K or 10K. I love the low-key runs like this where everyone just does their own thing, it’s mostly a good way to log some training miles and make new friends, meet new running partners, etc.

4. silkandtofu says:

That’s so cool you got to run a half marathon at midnight! It must have been scary in the dark?! I totally agree with you on running back-to-back races two days in a row. I know so many people that do it and I don’t know how or why?! LOL

I think a lot of people do back to back races for the experience- but it’s so much wear and tear on the body, especially things like the Goofy Challenge. I have a friend who did a 5K then a half the next day because the races were in different states and they want to do one in each state.

From what I hear, most people who do them pick one race to do well in, and the other to just relax. So, I guess that’s kinda what I did, I tried hard for the 5K, and for the half, it was really just a fun run :).

5. That midnight half sounds like a lot of fun. My next two races are night runs, and I’m really looking forward to the different vibe and ambiance.

Love the TRex as motivation. I think that would probably help me sometimes 🙂

Haha, yeah you can’t beat t-rex for motivation! I’ve only done two night races but it is a different atmosphere, they both had pretty nice post-race parties and it was really fun. I’m just not good at fueling and running in the evenings!

6. LilMysNinja says:

Lol…I totally always do the blogger thing and take sweaty after photos. 🙂 My running buddies are used to it by now. One of them even runs to a brush to fix the hair before I pull out the camera. It’s an ongoing joke that we always laugh at. But when I miss a picture then I get called out for slacking. 😉

I wish I had a good running partner for speed work! I’ve lost my running partner from earlier this year. :/

Aww, I hate to hear you lost your speed partner :(. Hopefully you find someone new soon especially within your running group, I think you could find someone. It is hard to get out there without a partner for speedwork! Accountability is pretty great!

7. spectacuLAUR says:

Woah! I love the midnight half marathon! I love different races and it’s definitely not common to see a race run at midnight. And you’re absolutely right when you say you have 364 days to sleep haha! Might as well live it up every once and a while! 🙂

Thanks! Yeah, it was more of a group run than a race, but who cares- it was midnight, drizzling rain, and you’re surrounded by friends :). I actually like that it wasn’t super competitive and it was very fun. I went to bed super early Saturday night and slept in on Sunday though! Had to catch up on that rest!

8. runwkate says:

Some serious mileage! I don’t have any pro-tips. Everyone’s body reacts differently, and every new goal I have comes with a brand new plan.

Love the race at midnight idea! Maybe I should get one started locally…

9. I’m so glad I was able to see you and some of my Palmetto 200 running friends at the midnight run! I actually ended up “winning” the 5k — disregard the fact that there were about 8 runners doing that distance and half of them were teenage girls that ended up walking most of the way. I actually think you have a good marathon plan by not concentrating so much on the total mileage; as long as you get your long runs in you will do great.

Thanks Jessica! Yeah it was great seeing you there too, and it’s awesome you did the 5K even if it was just the 5K and not many participants.

I treat cross training as a part of my training and not an afterthought… my main thing is I don’t want to up the mileage to the point where I get hurt and somehow cannot do the marathon. Plus I really, really like the classes at my gym 🙂