House Poor Summer Tour: Green Thumbs

In the spirit of “staycationing” in our new home, I’m writing a new series of posts about ways to save money and live frugally without being extreme or insane. I used these methods to save for my down payment, and I continue to use them to survive being a new, yet thrifty, homeowner.

Let’s embark on the House Poor Summer Tour 2013!

One of the best things about home ownership has been our tomato plants and our herb garden. Clay and I were excited to buy a home at the beginning of the summer because we knew we could grow a few things despite the heat here.

Nothing beats a John’s Island tomato! I don’t know what kind of drug is in the soil of John’s Island, but the tomatoes here are better than any other I’ve had- and I’m a tomato lover. We’re only about 2 miles away from the island, too.

Today at lunch, I had some broccoli and cheese soup and a tomato sandwich. Talk about eating local, it was grown on our porch.

Our herb garden is doing great too. We’ve already shared our fresh basil with some friends and used some ourselves, on pizza.

Growing your own plants is a great way to save money, eat locally, and feel proud of something you did- you grew it! Plus, it even saves gas since you don’t have to drive to the grocery store to pick them up.

This entry was posted in House Poor Summer Tour and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to House Poor Summer Tour: Green Thumbs

1. Yay! Having a full garden is what I look forward to most about having a home and a yard one day (we are aiming at buying a house this winter, but we’ll see. In any case, I plan to do a lot of yard work and gardening!).

We don’t have a full garden yet, but I think we’re doing pretty good considering we’ve only lived here 2 months- at least we have something. Hopefully next year, we will have a full garden with lots more veggies.

2. Reyna says:

I’m impressed!

3. 🙂
    My mother-in-law has veggies and herbs EVERYWHERE! We’ve been eating cucumbers, strawberries, and blueberries lately! Our sweet potatoes are growing nicely as well! Vegetable, fruit, and herb gardens are so awesome & you’re right— what’s more local then in your own backyard?

Have a great weekend!
    -Mel

4. Amanda says:

I love tomatoes! we tried to grow some a few years ago and it didn’t work out. I grew up in the country and we always had a HUGE garden. My dad raises and shows rabbits, so we had home grown fertilizer. This may be a silly question…what is on a tomato sandwich?

Oh wow! I didn’t realize you didn’t know, but here goes.

Tomato sandwich is a sliced up tomato, home grown or the best thing you can get at a store or produce stand. So, none of those pre-packaged tomatoes at Bi-Lo ;). You toast two pieces of bread, the better quality bread the better, spread mayo on them, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use a decent amount of salt and pepper, as the tomato seems to just soak up the salt!

Occasionally i put the spinach and kale spread from Trader Joe’s on mine, too, if I have it (I usually don’t). It’s particularly good on the sprouted grain breads like Ezekial, too.

5. spectacuLAUR says:

We’ve been trying to grow tomatoes at our house but it’s hard since we live in the woods. We do have basil and thyme growing on our deck, though, and we use it often! Also, I think the tomatoes and produce taste SO much better knowing you put your own blood, sweat, and tears into growing them. 😉 haha!

And I totally agree with a tomato sandwich being the best thing ever. It’s SO good!

6. Madison says:

I just had my basil on Caprese skewers for my sister’s baby shower today and it was soooo good!