Training for a 26.2 mile fun run (June 23-29)

Hey guys! Today’s another training log for my journey toward the 26.2 Mile Fun Run. Last week was the first week I started these- if you want to follow along.

I am signed up for the Darlington Marathon on September 28. It’s an inaugural race and my in-laws live close by, so I’ll have a place to stay (for free) and breakfast (for free) and lots of family to support me (Not free, I’ll have to bribe Clay if it involves waking up early).

June 23: I attended a workshop and talk about yoga teacher training at Yoga House of Charleston. I have no plans of teaching yoga now or even in the distant future, but the workshop was great- the instructor gave lots of tips on when to help someone with poses and exercises and how to help them, as well as helped me get into a handstand against the wall, which was really fun. It’s definitely empowering to get into a pose like a handstand.

June 24: 7.7 mile treadmill run at East Shore. I ended up doing the same 4 hard, 1 easy workout as last Monday (oops) and watching Food Network again. Story of my Mondays.

Food Network is pretty serious about the Paula Deen boycott as her show no longer comes on during my lunch break treadmill runs.

food_network

June 25: 4.39 miles (8:04 average pace) at morning run club. 75 degrees, 94% humidity, 0 wind make for a muggy Tuesday morning. I went to BodyPump that evening.

June 26: Three 15-minute rounds on the East Shore treadmill (5 mins @ 7 mph, 4 mins @ 7.5 mph, 3 mins @ 8.0 mph, 2 mins @ 8.5 mph, 1 min @ 9 mph), then a little cool down for 6 miles total. Watched an interesting show on fast food in other countries while on the treadmill, haha.

June 27: 3.5 miles around the neighborhood to log some miles and shake out before Saturday’s Isle of Palms Beach Run 10k.

June 28: Rest day Friday! I went couponing/shopping at Harris Teeter since it’s Super Double Coupons week- meaning they double coupons up to and including $2. I spent $8.04 and saved a ton… like $50-60. Got all those hot dogs for our July 4 cookout/party!

June 29: I ran the Isle of Palms Beach Run 10K that morning, with a warmup cooldown (7.5 miles total). My 10K time was 50:46.

That night, I ran the “Idiotic Greenway Night Run” which was hosted by my friend Noah and the MooreOnRunning.com training group. Everyone ran at their own pace but with headlamps and with other people, so I ended up running 7 miles that night.

Since it was late, no one was around so Steve went into Starbucks and got a random coffee drinker to take this group pic of us. It was really, really, fun and everyone hit TCBY for frozen yogurt afterwards. Good times.

Greenway_night_run

Weekly totals: 36 miles, 1 BodyPump class, 1 yoga workshop.

I’m feeling more confident about the 26.2 mile fun run. Saturday was the first time I’ve ever run double mileage like that, but I think it helped… it was 14.5 very strong, speedy miles, even if it wasn’t in a single run. My friend Rich is a legit coach for a cross country team and said he encourages it to help increase mileage, so I gave it a shot. Let’s see how it goes…

Happy Workouts!

This entry was posted in 26.2 Mile Fun Run, Saving Money, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Training for a 26.2 mile fun run (June 23-29)

1. Sounds like you had a hectic-crazy-yet awesome week 🙂
    Your coupon haul was very nice 🙂
    Well I hope you have a great July 4th!

-Mel

My weeks are usually hectic but awesome. I did get a good coupon haul this time! Super doubles coupon events are pretty much the best. I’ve made three trips and all have been really good this time.

2. Sounds like you are well on your way to rocking that fun run! Have a great holiday!

3. Random – there are a bunch of military musicians here from Charleston and I thought of you haha

Random is good! That’s really awesome that you’re meeting people from my city. You should come visit sometime, we do have a huge military presence here but it’s a very beautiful place to visit (or live).

4. I have no doubt you got this! You have a lot of endurance and are super smart with training.

Thanks Alex! You’re right, I am trying to train smart and not increase mileage too much, plus I will keep cross training. That’s why I didn’t like most of those traditional plans out there- they didn’t account for yoga, BodyPump, or any class I may do.

5. Great week of marathon training, you are going to do great, keep it up! Jealous of your mad couponing skills!

Thanks :). Yeah, couponing takes awhile to learn but it’s worth it. It also takes work clipping and organizing coupons, but I still think it’s worth it, hehe. I’ve kinda streamlined the process now.

Thanks for the compliments on my training as well.

6. That is so funny and so true about the Food Network. I have had to stop watching them. They are enablers!!

7. spectacuLAUR says:

You look like you had a great week! And it’s definitely different to see a night run with a group of people! I’m sure it was pretty cool to run at night though and get frozen yogurt afterwards! 😀

I feel SO bad for Paula Dean… Seriously, it’s just ridiculous at this point. The media takes so many things and just runs with it until someone loses everything they’ve worked so hard for… Plus, she’s a grandmother and they’re smothering her. They’re going to end up killing her because her heart is probably broken. I watch food network every Saturday morning and since she hasn’t been on… I’ve totally lost interest. 😦

I agree the media is making it ridiculous. Now, no one wants to carry her products or anything, because no company or business wants to be the one that still seems to support her (not that the companies “support” her- they just wanna make a buck too). I’m sure another controversy will come along soon for them to blow out of the water, though. I don’t agree with what Paula said or did, but the restaurant business is pretty ugly (I think Chef Ramsey’s show is the worst for how the people are treated… but that’s considered entertainment).

8. You said “cupcake.” You said, “cupcake!”
    Cupcake! Cupcake! Cupcake! Cupcake! Cupcake! Haha…. okay, I’m back now. 😀

You are awesome at your training! I wish you well as we get closer to September. It’s crazy to think that it’s almost around the corner.
    It looks like you’re well stocked up for your 4th of July party. Hopefully it doesn’t rain on you all.

Ahhh, the infamous Clay facedown in bed picture. 😀

Thanks- we hope it doesn’t rain too. It’s rained constantly here lately- every single day. And it’s not like the little popup afternoon storms we usually have- it rains off and on, all day long. Sometimes there’s like a 30 minute break of sunshine and then you see everyone out walking their dog or running or doing things outside!

We have some good cupcakes in this city… I love some cupcakes. I think Food Network makes them so popular though!

9. LilMysNinja says:

I just love how you’re calling it your 26.2 “fun” run. 🙂 You had a great week of training!!!

If only I can figure a way to make couponing work for me…
    That picture of Clay cracks me up. But I know what you mean…PJ is a night owl so getting him up early is very rare. But I’m proud of him for making the effort to get up early sometimes to support me on some of my races.