Class reunions, cookouts, and cheerleading at races

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a fun-filled Father’s Day weekend and a non-stressful Monday back at school or work.

This weekend, we went to Hartsville for my husband’s high school reunion. I met a lot of his friends and former football teammates, and it was really well attended. About 100 people attended, including some travelling from as far off as Boston or Alaska. We also met a few people who live in Charleston now. The people with the most children and those who travelled the farthest got special awards or recognition, and they had a slideshow of high school photos of everyone. The DJ tried to play hits from 2003 (or at least the early 2000s) too, which was kinda cool.

I can’t believe both of us have been out of high school for 10 years. It seems like yesterday, but back then, we didn’t have Smartphones or Twitter, and Facebook was only for college students (as it was when I joined). In honor of the Class of 2003, I found some fun facts about 2003 to post and make all of us feel old.

• The new United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
  • United States plans for an invasion of Iraq due to an imminent threat from weapons of mass destruction.
  • Saddam Hussein, former President of Iraq, is captured by the U.S. 4th Infantry Division.
  • Do Not Call List starts providing consumers with an opportunity to limit telemarketing calls.
  • Americans rename “French Fries” to “Freedom Fries” in protest to France’s stand on Iraq.
  • Apple launches Itunes which becomes a major success selling 10 million songs within 4 months of launch.
  • A white tiger attacks Roy Horn of the duo “Siegfried & Roy” leaving him partially paralyzed.
  • Michael Jackson is booked on suspicion of multiple counts of child molestation (later acquitted).
  • The Recording Industry Association of America (or RIAA) files copyright lawsuits against Internet users for trading songs online.
  • JK Rowling‘s fifth Harry Potter book “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” is released.

While in town, we also celebrated Father’s Day with a cookout and pool time. We had steaks, grilled veggies, veggie burgers, hot dogs, and salad- it was also really tasty. I didn’t take many pictures at all this weekend, so here’s one of us with Clay’s dad at our wedding (along with one of the kids Clay’s mom keeps). We all look better in this picture than we do in bathing suits, I insist.

1207074884_Nknoq-XL

Happy Father’s Day to my father-in-law, Danny. Even though he is not biologically Clay’s father, he stepped up to the plate and did an awesome job raising my husband- which is what a real dad does.

I also ran 7 miles this weekend when in Hartsville. A local race called the Lickity Split 5K was going on, so I hit the road early (the race started at 8, so I got there just before 7) and ran the course plus some more to get in a run.

I didn’t race, so I decided to cheerlead, and it was worth it to see a lot of friends, many of whom PRed or won age group awards. Sometimes it’s actually more fun to cheerlead and see other people succeed at a race, it takes the pressure to perform off. I enjoyed running on my own, then cheering for my friends, more than my race last weekend (big surprise… err, NOT).

I also saw fellow running blogger, Alex (Tour de Blue Shoes) and we took this picture together so he’d look like a giant. Not only does he have quite a few inches on me, but his 5K time is about 3-4 minutes faster… speedy! Thanks for the picture Alex!

Amy_and_Alex

That’s it for now. I started training for a 26.2 mile fun run today, so I’ll be back later to keep everyone updated on how that goes. Bye guys!

This entry was posted in Family, Holidays, Traveling and Trips, Weekend Fun and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Class reunions, cookouts, and cheerleading at races

1. Looks like a great weekend… love that you were cheering at the 5k, it’s fun to do that. As much as I love racing I have tried to make an effort to cheer or volunteer at a few as well. It’s good inspiration and motivation!

Thanks Laura! It was really motivating to just cheer there instead of racing. Plus, you just can’t race every weekend anyway, financially and it’s hard on your body. So may as well spectate, hehe!

2. Wow, Order of the Phoenix was released 10 years ago? I feel old.

3. What a fun and busy weekend! I love cheering for races and I love that I feel I can try to say what people need to hear since I have been there myself so many times. I am so curious about the details of this 26.2 mile fun run 🙂

I agree- since I race so much I kinda know what motivates me and just hope that whatever I’m yelling motivates them too :). It was a great morning to race and great that so many people PRed. Beautiful weather (for June in SC).

4. I agree about cheering, often times I enjoy seeing my friends succeed more! I was just thinking about that Harry Potter and it being released ten years ago…oh my stars. And itunes was launched? WOW. Anywho glad you had a good time this weekend.

Yeah- I can’t believe it… now we all use Itunes like every single day and it’s been forever since a Harry Potter book came out. I do remember how everyone read them the night they came out though!

5. LilMysNinja says:

Wow…now I really feel old! I’ve got a couple more years before my 20 year is here! I should look up fun facts for 1996. I’m curious.

Sounds like a great weekend for you. I can’t wait to get back to longer runs after this streak. And I love the dress!!

Yeah, the fun facts make me feel old too. Also there’s that survey that comes out every Fall that talks about the incoming college freshman class- that has started to make me feel old too.

Not being able to run as long is one reason why I’ve never done a streak like that. I like my longer runs and feel like if I ran every day, it would be harder to do them.

6. spectacuLAUR says:

I really want to volunteer for a race so I can see the other side of things. I know during my half marathon, the crowd and supporters definitely helped me push through the hardest miles. It would be great to return the favor to other people! And I absolutely LOVE the dress you wore to the class reunion! The color looks awesome on you and I just love the design of the dress!

Thanks girly! I do like the color of the dress, I’ve had it forever too! I got it like 3 years ago on sale at Dillard’s (Southern version of Nordstrom/Macy’s) and I’ve worn it a few times. It’s pretty unique!

7. Sarah says:

Oh man the facts from 2003. Some of those seem like just yesterday and some actually do seem like a decade ago. It’s great you decided to cheerlead at the race, and I completely agree that sometimes it’s better to be the cheerleader vs actually running in the race. Much less pressure. Oooooh can’t wait to hear about your 26.2 fun run!!!!

8. You are definitely so tiny lol! Love the dresses in both pictures, you look great! And aw, memories of 2003 lol! 🙂

9. You have such jam-packed weekends Amy, it’s great! My brother graduated in 2003 as well and he is going to his 10-year reunion later this fall… he feels the same way about the passage of time! Craziness. Thanks for providing the facts too, those were fun to read.
    Now that my running is on the back burner (temporarily I hope) I should volunteer more at races… it would be nice to be on the other side of things and helping out others! Especially because I have been cheered on during past races and it’s so helpful

10. I just went to my ten year reunion as well! It was awesome to go and have so much fun, after not seeing some people for that long. Also, love that you had a blogger meet up! (he is huge! haha)

11. I’m sorry I haven’t responded in awhile, but because its been so nice and sunny, I have spent most of my days outside.
    I LOVED LOVED LOVED your dress that you wore to Clay’s reunion!!!! 🙂
    I also LOVED your list. OMG! Although I did not graduate in 2003, I wasn’t far behind, so that list really hit home. I can’t wait till we have our highschool reunion. It’ll be easier for Chris and I because we graduated from the same high school. We had a “all classes reunion” a year ago, but we didn’t attend because the expense was HUGE and we didn’t have it at the time. (also there was supposedly 450+ in attendance… but then again it was an “all classes reunion”)

I hope you have a great weekend!

-Mel