Spirit of the Marathon II, Starbucks, and Sweating it out in the summer heat

Hey everyone and happy Friday! I hope you’re all well.

Wednesday night, my Charleston bestie Nadine and I went to see Spirit of the Marathon 2 in North Charleston. We were joined by lots of local runners- maybe 40 people or so. I think most people in the theater knew each other, but I don’t think any movies playing on Wednesday night had a huge turnout.

Spirit-II-Poster-small

Spirit of the Marathon II centers around 7 runners participating in the Rome Marathon. Two of the runners (Epiphanie and Vasyl) are elites trying to qualify for the 2012 Olympics, and five of the runners (Mimmo, Domenico, Julie, Ylenia, and Cliff) are recreational runners pursuing 26.2 for various reasons. The movie was very inspiring- of course, I am a runner and so is Nadine, so we are going to be a little biased in it, but it definitely motivated us with our own goals in running and racing.

I liked that the movie featured athletes from around the world and a variety of backgrounds. It was a little difficult reading the subtitles for those athletes whose words were subtitled, but worth it. I don’t think we always realize that when we train for a race, people from all over the country and maybe even all over the world are also out there training for it, putting in the miles when it’s difficult, waking up early, foam rolling, and nursing injuries. I love my local running community, but this made me think of runners as as worldwide community- so many different languages, ethnicities, and cultures are united by our sport. How cool is that?

distances_runner

The characters in the movie were relatable too- balancing running with work, children, families, loss, and the other aspects of life. I did notice that none of the characters in the movie were running for weight loss or had lost a lot of weight, which surprised me as weight loss and marathons seemed to be a theme for awhile (Remember the Biggest Loser Marathon?). That was a bit surprising, but I kinda liked that the movie didn’t potray our sport as some way to lose weight (not that you can’t lose weight running, just that the goals behind running a marathon and the goal of just losing weight aren’t always related).

Anyway- if you’re into running (or not), I’d recommend seeing the movie. I’m sure it will be out on Netflix or Hulu soon as well.

run_movies_ticket

Feeling inspired by Spirit of the Marathon II, I headed out Thursday morning for a 10 miler. Thursday was the hottest day so far here in South Carolina, topping out at 97 degrees. It wasn’t the best run I’ve had, but that’s okay- it’s a training run and didn’t have to be. I started at 6 AM with the TrySports Run Clubbers and by 8 AM, I was on the interstate headed back to Rural West Ashley.

It felt good to have accomplished 10 miles before many people even woke up- but that was about all I did all day physically!

image

The evening after my run, I hit Earth Fare for some grocery shopping and went by Starbucks for a skinny mocha. Nadine just started working at Starbucks so I’ll definitely be stopping by to see her and let her make me some tasty drinks. I love the iced skinny mochas there and this one was just right- super cold and super strong.

starbucks_skinny_mocha

Always a nice treat on long run day.

That’s it for now. I hope everyone has a great weekend and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there- Clay and I are celebrating with his dad and family, which should be pretty fun. We’re heading to Hartsville to grill out, so I’ll update everyone on that as well. Have a good one!

I received two free tickets to Spirit of the Marathon II from Fathom Events, in exchange for promoting the event on Facebook and writing this review. However, all opinions are my own.

This entry was posted in Running and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Spirit of the Marathon II, Starbucks, and Sweating it out in the summer heat

1. I wanted to go watch the movie but sadly I had to work that night. From the sounds of everyones reviews, it was equally as good as the first.

Part of the reason I enjoy running so much in the AM is because I feel more accomplished and awake when I do because everyone has just woken up by the time that I’m done LOL.

2. I LOVED the movie… definitely agree with you about seeing runners as a worldwide community! I left feeling inspired to run more too.

3. Caroline Thomas says:

I haven’t seen the movie yet! Hope to soon though.

4. spectacuLAUR says:

I didn’t even hear of this movie until I read your blog! I’m glad to hear it was good and not centered around weight loss. Personally, I think running should never be associated with losing weight although it does happen most times. I realized it meant a lot more to me the time I spent not able to run. I’m really glad you had a great time and now have a friend who works at Starbucks! I loooove when I know someone who makes food/drinks because they will make it EXACTLY how you like it! 🙂 Have a great weekend!

Yeah, mostly it bugs me when people think of running as only a way to lose weight. Obviously it can help, but it’s so much more than that too. Starbucks is so tasty and i’m going back today hehe.

5. Ima Mosier says:

I love your ecard graphic. It is sooooo true.

6. allieksmithe says:

I’m glad you and Nadine enjoyed the movie! It sounds so inspiring! Way to get in 10 miles, too! And I am with you on coffee… Ice cold and strong just hits the spot sometimes!

7. Your run sounds like the run I had yesterday. These hot summer runs have me looking forward to fall already. Thanks for the tip about finding the first Spirit of the Marathon movie on Hulu (in a previous post)!

8. I haven’t seen it. I don’t think any local theaters played it 😦 I wonder when Netflix will get it… That mocha iced coffee looks delicious!

Not every area seemed to play the movie… it was in two theatres in the Charleston area which was pretty good, although my small town theatre in Florence showed it as well. Hopefully it’ll be on Netflix soon, they usually get a lot of documentaries pretty quickly…

9. Pam Robbins says:

I was hoping to see the movie but something came up. My daughter graduates from high school next week and we have been crazy busy! Love the e-card and LOVE Charleston! I am originally from Atlanta–lived in SC for a few years–now living and running in Connecticut!

10. Oh! Spirit of the Marathon is a movie!! On your last post, I thought that SOTM2 was another race you were running in, but I guess I read that wrong. Well, I’m glad you enjoyed the movie, and I do love inspiring annd motivating movies. Maybe I’ll check it out for a matinee showing sometime. I do love a good movie!
    The last inspiring movie I saw was Soul Surfer… I personally don’t know how to surf, but that movie challenged me to think about my relationship with God and to not give up on Him when things get rough in my life. 🙂

That’s cool that Nadine works at Starbucks now. I thought about applying to Starbucks when I first graduated, but I think Panera’s a better fit for me for now. I do like how Starbucks doesn’t get their drinks as hot as Panera’s though. I’m a wimp when it comes to hot drinks! And I like to down my coffee right away. My favorite Starbucks drink would probably be the Caffe Mocha. I’m boring. I like 2% milk, espresso, and chocolate. 😀

Oh yes! I remember when The Biggest Loser was “the hype” in America! You heard about it everywhere. Is it still going on??

Have a good Weekend!

I think the Biggest Loser still comes on. I don’t know that it’s coming on right now, but I know that they just had a season of it maybe in the Spring? I don’t really watch those shows (they don’t exactly promote healthy weight loss, and I’ve also seen then really mess up form when the participants lifted weights).

I get the skinny cafe mocha at Starbucks which is the same thing but skim milk (wonky stomach + fewer calories). Either that or the frappuchino.

I watched Soul Surfer last summer and it was a great movie, I really liked it. I like the inspirational films like that too.

11. Amy says:

I want to see that movie! I loved the first one!

12. I cannot wait until the movie is released onto dvd or netflix!

13. Pingback: Movie Motivation | The Blonde Designer