Spirit of the Marathon 2, Sip and Paint, and Rainy Day Rambles

Hey everyone. I hope you’re staying dry lately if you’re in South Carolina!

First, I want to thank everyone for your kind words about Saturday’s Floppin’ Flounder 5K. It’s nice that some people “get it” when you feel intimidated by “local elites”. I might be short and ab-less, but hopefully the next race will be a more positive experience, not just with the time on the finish clock, but more about what our bodies can do rather than what they look like. I’m certain I’ll have a breakout performance at a race this Fall, too.

afbd46cc8357b76d2e10acb0886d94a1

Clay and I are going to Hartsville this weekend for his class reunion, so hopefully I can get a long run in Thursday morning before we leave town that Friday (I’m missing *way* too many long runs lately for my own good if I want to run 26.2 this Fall). I’m also excited to grill out that Saturday afternoon and lay out by the pool at Clay’s parents’ house, before we head to the reunion that night. Let’s hope I can get a little tan too… because I haven’t been by a pool in awhile.

Today it started raining right before Clay went to cut the grass (he has to cut it every week because of how much it rains here). We also had a tropical storm the other day but I didn’t really notice and honestly didn’t know about it until it was approaching. Being a native of the South, I really don’t worry unless it’s a Category 2 hurricane or stronger. I’m just glad we haven’t had tornadoes or any severe weather, yikes!

tropical_storm_andrea

I went to another sip-and-paint (I sip on water… gotta stay hydrated) class Friday night. This time we painted a sunset over a marsh, and the scene is called “You are my sunshine”. The classes are pretty fun and I have a few coupons to take them for $20 each, so I’ll probably go back soon. All of the paintings are looking really nice in the house and it’s a good excuse to get out of the house in the evenings.

Tomorrow night, Nadine and I are going to see Spirit of the Marathon 2, which is playing for one night only in theatres. I actually saw a poster of it up at TrySports last week when I was there for the National Running Day group run, and it’s generated a lot of online buzz. Face it, it’s not often that a movie about running comes to theatres- at least not compared to other sports like baseball or football- so it’s definitely worth making the trip for. Plus, some of the proceeds go to One Fund Boston and it seems like a very inspirational movie.

d7455445df3bac723268b36ceb623841

Spirit of the Marathon 2 follows the journeys of seven runners who are running a marathon in Rome and also features interviews with other professional runners. If you’re not doing anything important tomorrow night, definitely check it out- You can read more about it and find participating theatres here. One of my run club friends told me the first Spirit of the Marathon movie is on Hulu now, so you can also watch it there, but I don’t think you have to watch that one to understand this movie.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful week, and I’ll be back with another update on the movie and our weekend trip.

This entry was posted in Randomness and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Spirit of the Marathon 2, Sip and Paint, and Rainy Day Rambles

1. Ian says:

Great shout out for Spirit of the Marathon 2. Few better stories for ‘Why’ we take on these challenges. Great blog!

2. Liz DeLoach says:

Wow! I have not heard of this movie. I don’t know if I’ll ever run a marathon, but I’d like to work up to running a 10K. In any event I think it would inspire me. And your painting is beautiful, Amy. Have fun at Clay’s reunion.

Thanks Liz! Yeah I think the movie will be inspiring to all runners even if you’re not running marathons or half marathons. I actually watched the first one back when I was a beginning runner and found it inspiring, but I didn’t go out and register for a half or full… just thought it was a good movie to motivate me at the level I was at. I know like 4-5 other people who are planning to go, hopefully it gets a nice turnout 🙂

Let me know if you want to paint this month :).

3. Just read your 5k recap from Sunday and I do understand feeling a sense of intimidation and just “smaller” than them. We have a local race i used to do each year (well I plan to continue again) and there were always those “elite” ones, and they usually stuck together and were all bad ass and such lol. Anyway, I do think you will have a better race next year, we always learn from our past experiences and we make the choice of how to react to them.
    Lovely painting again this week! I actually found out over the weekend that we have something similar in my town! Going to look into it 🙂
    And I haven’t heard of that movie, but sounds like an interesting one for sure! I feel it would inspire me more than anything… perhaps a video that would be more than helpful right now!

Yeah- even if you can’t go tomorrow night you should check out the first one on Hulu and maybe watch it. I saw it a few years ago, I think it came out in 2008 but maybe it was 2010 when I saw it. The fast people here all kinda stick together too… but even if I was a sub-20 minute 5Ker I’d prolly stick with my same friends just because they have been there for me since I moved down, and I run for social fun and not to really “win”.

Def. look into the painting classes- I bet you would love it and it’s a good stress relief that isn’t working out or running related.

4. Zaneta says:

I will definitely be going to watch Spirit of the Marathon II tomorrow! Like you said, it’s not very often a movie about running comes out! I hope you enjoy the movie!
    Love your painting! 🙂

5. I so want to see that movie! *loved* the first one! But I have plans tomorrow night 😦 I knew this was coming and I would love to see it, but my boyfriend’s sister and kids are in town, so I guess family trumps a movie. I watched the first one deep into marathon training so hopefully I can watch the second one this fall during my taper.

Yeah- definitely spend time with your family! The movie will come out on DVD or Netflix or Hulu or something, you will be able to see it even if you have to wait for awhile. I bet it would be inspiring to watch near the end of training for a marathon, when the doubts start to come in the taper (at least, for me when I trained for a half and tapered, I had doubts that whole week… until I PRed that Saturday- so tapering does indeed work!)

6. I know you will have some more good races Amy.

I really wanted to see Spirit of the Marathon myself, but I had to work sadly. Boo.

Sorry you gotta work. I’m sure it’ll be on Netflix or Hulu eventually though, you might just have to wait awhile to see it. I’m excited to go to the movies, it’s not something I do very often anyway much less seeing a running movie. Movies are expensive!

7. Steph says:

Haha, you’ll have to get back on those long runs! The weeks until that marathon you’d like to do will fly by!

Yeah, I know. I think I may go out tomorrow morning and run with my run club at 6, then just keep going until I get to 10-12 miles. The bridge is in there which will also be really good training!

8. Madison says:

I saw the Tropical Storm Andrea thing on FB, but I was really surprised when I was driving into the Lowe’s parking lot this weekend (in Mt. P) and a GIANT oak tree was uprooted. This was surprising considering I went running during this “tropical storm.”

I went running during the last one too!

That’s crazy about the uprooted tree though, I almost wonder if that was something else besides the storm? Weird things always happen in MTP (like that lady who drove her car through the Wendy’s… LOL). I just hope no one was hurt with the tree being uprooted… didn’t even realize there was that much damage from it.

9. I watched the first Spirit of the Marathon and really enjoyed it. It’s great to put on before a long run that you don’t want to do (sometimes you need that extra motivation!). It’s also on Netflix Streaming and I’m hoping the second one will eventually find its way there since I can’t make it to the theater tonight. Have fun at the class reunion. Hopefully the rain stops this weekend!

Oh yeah, I’m sure this one will end up on Netflix or Hulu or DVD or something soon… I think the event tonight is just to raise money for Boston and it’s like the “premier” of the movie. I hope the rain stops too! I have to long run before we leave town, eek!

10. Courtney says:

Nice work on the painting! 🙂 Also, I read your post about the FF 5k. We’ve all had races like that, and it’s hard to not let it stick with us sometimes. I’m glad that your post ended on a good note as you recognized the importance of those who love and cherish you even when you don’t do well. Now, if only we could unconditionally love ourselves!

Yeah, it is hard. I’m just chalking Saturday up to a rough day- honestly last week was just a very emotional, tough, week for a lot of people here, myself included. And as much as I don’t want to admit it, that stuff impacts races and workouts. I’m sure a breakthrough performance is coming soon, though.

11. lauren says:

I hope you have a great weekend and get to sit and relax in the sun! I love the painting classes! Too cute! And the picture of the “dreaded” Tropical Storm Andrea made me laugh pretty hard! I love sarcastic things!

I need some sun! It makes me tan and makes me happy- who can’t be happy when they’re tan and laying beside a pool, right?

Those pictures come out every time we have a tropical storm scare lol, it’s funny!

12. Hey Amy!

Good luck with keeping up with all of your runs. I hope that Clay’s class reunion goes well. Bahahaha. I love the Tropical Storm Andrea picture. It rocks… the chair over. 😀
    The painting looks phenomenal.
    Have a good afternoon.

13. Stephanie says:

What do you think of it – Spirit of the Marathon II…we went last night. i did not think it was as good as the first