It’s Okay Thursday- May 16

Hey everyone! Today, I’m linking up with Brunch with Amber and A Complete Waste of Makeup for It’s Okay Thursday.

The linkup is going away after next week, so I wanted to do it one last time while I still can. It reminds me of the feature in Glamour magazine. I read that magazine all the time when I worked at the public library during the summers in college (I worked with the Summer Reading Program, back in the day).

Makes me miss college and having a summer vacation. There are no vacations in the world (or at least, the first year) of being house poor.

To love greasy diner food. That blueberry waffle at Waffle House hit the spot today at lunch. It helps that I had a coupon that made it free- I did purchase an order of eggs and leave a tip, of course. The picture is from mine and Clay’s Valentine’s Date.

To have a soft spot in your heart for sick kids in the hospital. I greatly admire the nurses, doctors, and other medical professionals who take care of sick children. I don’t have the mental strength to do that- I would fall apart.

To make an amazing salad and eat off of it all week long for lunch. Spinach, fresh strawberries, blueberry craisins, feta, and granola make for a tasty salad- don’t forget the mango viniagrette dressing. I was buying salads from the grocery store pre-made, but this provides a week’s worth of salad at almost the same price.

To look at the Cards Against Humanity board game my husband just ordered for us from Amazon and think it’s hilarious. Can’t wait to play it at our next house party or get together.

To feel victorious when you find your glasses. After losing them for almost two weeks. Due to moving. Here’s a rare picture of me stirring something that Clay is cooking, back from when I wore glasses full-time.

Picture 059

To find the whole Abercrombie and Fitch plus sizing and CEO comment controversy annoying. I actually like Abercrombie and Hollister‘s stores- it helps that they have classic, stylish, fairly well-made clothes made for tiny people. Our mall has Hollister, although Abercrombie closed last year. Truthfully, I’m ready for it to blow over and something else to make the news.

To go downtown for a WordPress Usergroup meeting a few hours early just so you can walk around downtown Charleston and enjoy it.

To secretly like the Florida/Georgia Line “Cruise” remix with Nelly better than the original version- sorry I’m not sorry, country music fans.

To feel super stoked about a mini road trip to Florence this weekend for Race for Taylor, especially since Nadine is coming too. Yay for running, family, friends, and Greek food!

This entry was posted in It's Okay Thursday and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to It’s Okay Thursday- May 16

1. I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Abercrombie story. I think what the CEO said to be completely rude, disrespectful…ect but I do know many other companies not only think like that but they are like that. I don’t know-both sides really bother me to tell you the truth because I know that other companies are thinking the same thing.

I hinted at it on Facebook, but I have no bad feelings toward the brand. Obviously his comments were bad from a PR standpoint, but this is something all brands and stores do- it’s called having a clientele and a market for your product. I’d be discriminated against if I tried to work at a Big and Tall Men’s store, or at Lane Bryant- heck, I’d be laughed out of there.

A&F is a teen brand, and clothes are a status symbol for teens- but bullying went on long before A&F, Facebook, etc… and it’ll be around when A&F and Facebook are gone.

2. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on the whole Abercrombie business. I think there’s a huge difference between having a specific clientele and bullying young, vulnerable teens into thinking they have to look a certain way to be “cool.” That’s a breeding ground for eating disorders right there.

Also, I’m all about the greasy diner food! Waffles? Amazing.

That was one delicious waffle. I like blueberry anything, and I like waffles. I think the fact that it was free made it taste even better. Free’s my favorite type of cuisine.

Yeah, it’s not cool for teens to believe they have to look a certain way to be cool, but I don’t think it’s just an A&F clothes thing. In a middle to upper class, mostly white, suburban high school… yes. In other high schools… not so much.

3. I love Waffle House! I remember going a couple of hours after we got married! (It was like 2am and I was starving!)
    Working in retail I have seen some interesting things within a company (and how a company is viewed) and although I do not by far wear a size 0, I can still fit into a size 9 jean from those kinds of stores. I agree that what he said was WRONG. But that company is not the only company to have done so.

Hope you had a great Thursday!

WH is the place to be at 2 AM. I’ve been at some Cola area locations pretty late thanks to high school band, and needless to say, it’s interesting.

What he said was definitely wrong, as a brand representative. But you’re right- retail is interesting, as you put it. Companies put A LOT into marketing, and whether or not people really realize it, they are always being sold to.

4. Freeeeeee blueberry waffles?? I’m in! I totally agree with you on the pediatric workers (nurses, doctors, etc) I would fall apart seeing those sweet faces in the hospital.

5. I haven’t read much about the whole Abercrombie deal but it sounds like it’s really crappy and immature situation going on. But, I don’t know how the whole story! Anyhow, free blueberry waffles is always a plus and I hope you have a fun road trip!

Yeah, the whole controversy is kinda dumb. It’s blown over now though, I think the media just blows everything like that up too.

I love blueberry waffles. And we had a great road trip, recap and pics coming soon!

6. primal quilting says:

I love cards against humanity!!

7. I have never heard of Card Against Humanity, but now want to check it out.

8. LilMysNinja says:

Love your It’s okay list. 🙂 I’m always craving greasy food and I think I eat it more than I really should but I’m not fretting over it. And YAY for finding your glasses. 🙂 I’m so blind but I wear contacts. I only wear my glasses around the house.

Me too, but I needed my backup glasses for when I do want to wear them around the house, like before bed, right when I get up, etc. It’s not fun trying to make coffee without your contacts in!

9. OMG! I love blueberry waffle at Waffle House! And for you to get for free, – awesome! I would usually have a coupon sent to my email for a free pancake – sweet treat! 🙂

Pediatrics was my first choice for my practice, but after my internship in Brooklyn, I realized I had a weak heart. My emotions get in the way when I see children sick. I realized I wouldn’t be successful in that field. That lead me to a decision of applying for Psychiatry instead. 🙂

Your salad looks good! I haven’t tried your dressing. Love the sound of that! 🙂

They don’t have pancakes at Waffle House, so it would have to be a blueberry waffle (or a chocolate chip, strawberry, or PB waffle). The dressing is really good, I like it, it was buy one get one free at the grocery store so I just picked it up, but I’d definitely buy it again. It doesn’t take that much of it either, i like that.

• Oh sorry, I forgot to say the pancake coupons I get are from a local breakfast place (Bob Evan’s). Getting free waffles & pancakes are definitely awesome! 🙂

I’ll definitely look for that dressing the next time I go grocery shopping. I hope our grocery has it. 🙂 Thanks Lauren!

You know I should see if we have a Bob Evans here… I love pancakes too!

10. allieksmith says:

Yes to greasy diner food! It just hits the spot sometimes!

It definitely hit the spot the other day. Now I want to go back to Waffle House soon, lol. Hoping for another coupon so I can (the joys of being house poor).

11. Kara says:

I love all of these things! Especially waffles!! haha 🙂 I haven’t played Cards Against Humanity but I keep hearing about it. I want to play it – let us know how it goes! Oh and I also love walking around my town too. I’ll go on a walk for hours sometimes, just wandering around!