Daniel Island Mom’s Run 5K Recap and Mother’s Day

First, I want to say Happy Mother’s Day to the readers here who are moms, to their moms, and to my Mommy, mother-in-law, and grandma. I hope they all have an amazing day!

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure. All are from our wedding, so it’s a throwback for those of you who haven’t been reading for the past two years, hehe.

1207074172_2rmP9-XL

1207071068_AD7Cq-XL

1209968429_Y53yS-XL

I spent Saturday morning with my neighbor and friend from East Shore Athletic Club, Liz, running the Mom’s Run 5K on Daniel Island.

The Mom’s Run 5K is held at Blackbaud Stadium on Mother’s Day Weekend, with the proceeds benefiting Postpartum Support Charleston. This was the 10th year of the run, so it’s pretty established in the community and a large-but-not-too-large race (about 400 people). In addition, there’s a post-race festival for families, a stroller division, and a stroller decorating competition.

Moms_run6

Liz, Melanie, and some other friends from East Shore were a part of a team called Chasing the Blues Away. The team aspect was pretty cool, as we got a reduced cost registration (score for those of us who are newly house poor). Even at cost, this race was a steal- for what we paid, we got a very nice ladies cut shirt, a reusable bag with coupons and pens inside, and a personalized race bib.

I was happy to actually have a shirt that fit and a bib that says Tiny Terror. The shirt was great, but no way would I run in it on race morning! Gotta love the runner’s superstition that it’s bad luck.

Moms_run1

The race started at 8 AM, and Liz and I got there early to take some pre-race pictures and talk to people, and of course find the start and finish line, etc. I did a quick warm up- it’s hard to warm up when there’s things going on, but I got about 1/2 mile in, along with a few drills (I only saw a couple other people warming up).

I also saw a pink fire truck. How cool is that?

The race had lots of beginners, walkers, and newbies- and this was a really great race for a first-timer. It was Liz’s first 5K and she had fun, ran the whole thing, and finished in under 35 minutes, which is pretty amazing- not that she wasn’t already incredibly fit from teaching BodyPump and CXWORX (Liz is also a great photographer, as she took most of these pics- thanks Liz!).

Along with Liz, the Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant had a big group of first-time 5Kers and the Black Girls Run showed up in style. Everyone from Black Girls Run was so supportive of their runners and cheering for them- they even ran to the finish with the last BGR lady who finished. Makes me want to join, hehe. Really, that’s how *everyone* in this sport should be, but they set a great example.

Moms_run7

The race course was through Daniel Island neighborhoods, so people stood outside their homes and cheered. Along with two much-needed water stops (holy humidity…), there was police presence, lots of helpful volunteers, and the course was closed to traffic.

I went out toward the front and got passed pretty early on by a lady with a stroller, who won first overall for ladies (technically her child was the first female finisher, right?). I stayed close in a pack with a few others but just couldn’t hang for too long. My Garmin GPS *never* found signal so I didn’t get pace splits. I looked at the watch trying to figure things out, but I think that’s more stress than it’s worth, and I won’t race with my Garmin if it stresses me. I may just use it for training…

I finished in 23:07, beating my last two 5Ks by over 30 seconds and only 7 seconds slower than my goal time.

After I finished and got a little water, I ran about a mile back down the course to cheer for people and cool down. I also got a post-race treat, a Chocolate Tuxedo cupcake from Cupcake Charleston. It is a dark chocolate cupcake with cream cheese icing, chocolate ganache, and white chocolate chips. It was really delicious- probably one of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had.

I also got a free Chic-Fil-A chicken biscuit to take home to Clay and some fruit. The post-race party had lots of little family activities for kids to do too, like make cards and crafts for mom, a silent auction, and some vendors selling some neat stuff (I didn’t buy anything. I’m house poor.).

I did, however, get a pretty amazing post-run massage from the Southeastern Massage Institute in North Charleston. This wasn’t your typical post-race stretch- this was a legit, 20 minute massage that made me feel like a new person after my 3.1 miles on the pain train of a 5K. They also offer 50 minute massages for $25 on Saturday and Sunday, so I may check this out during Darlington Marathon training…

Moms_run2

Despite being slightly off my goal time and pace, my 23:07 was good enough to win my age group and a pretty cool medal.

Moms_run5

Everyone had a great team and a couple people from our team won awards for our age groups.

The Mom’s Run 5K was one of the best 5Ks I’ve done here since moving down to Charleston- and I’m thankful Leigh Ann, Stacy, and Liz told me about it so I could get in on the fun. To me, the race was perfect for first-time 5Kers or walkers and a great event for families to participate (no post-race beer or partying, lots for kids to do, even a stroller division). It would also be a great “first 5K back” for any lady who’s had a baby, because you can run or walk it with the stroller and the baby gets a cute “Future Runner” bib and onsie.

Instead of promoting competitiveness, the race was more about completing the event (walking or running) and having a good time while raising money for the cause. And of course, the post-race amenities were nothing short of amazing- how many 5Ks give you a FREE massage and a FREE cupcake at the end? A good massage and a good cupcake too!

I had a great time and will definitely be back next year.

You might like…

This entry was posted in 5Ks, Couch to 5K, Daniel Island, Holidays, Race Recaps and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Daniel Island Mom’s Run 5K Recap and Mother’s Day

1. spectacuLAUR says:

This does look like a great race! I would love to finish any race with a massage and a cupcake. YUM! Sounds perfect to me, too 😉 Holy moly, 23:07 is a really great time! Especially since the humidity was bad. I know whenever it’s humid outside, it’s definitely harder for me to run because you don’t get the same air quality as a normal day! Have a great Mother’s Day 🙂

It’s always humid here. Even in the winter it’s humid, but it’s not as hot so it’s not as bad. At least this race was at 8. I can’t imagine a 9 AM start after like, April, here. But we do have the water and that makes it more bearable if you’re on the coast (we aren’t… LOL). I hope you have a great day too and all is going well with the knee!

2. HeatherD says:

Great race! The shirts are really cute! I love how you are the only one in the group photo not wearing the race shirt. I never do either. I’m convinced that something bad will happen to me during the race if I wear it before I finish. Congratulations on your age group award!

I’m super paranoid about it! I have only done it once, and that’s because it was really cold that morning so I had to put on the shirt just to stay warm for the race (that was also a fundraiser type race… just like this one- so a lot of people wore the shirts just to support).

Awhile back, my friend who runs ultras told me it’s also bad luck to wear it until you’ve completed the race… made me think of the Charleston Half marathon, where I wore the shirt the night before… and it was my slowest timed half in awhile! Even Friday night, I tried on the shirt and took it off immediately. I need all the help I can to get faster, not willing to risk it over a shirt!

3. Post-Race Massages are the best. Congrats on your win and nice cupcake! I need to start doing more short local races so I can feel like a winner!

I like short races because I can race a lot, and I use them to help me prepare for other races. I’m running a 10K next weekend, so I just used this as one of the 3 mile workouts on my training plan. So, I don’t specifically “train” for all the races I run, obviously.

I should do more longer races if I want to do a full… but honestly, I like 5Ks *shrugs*. I like the race atmosphere…

4. Sounds like it was a wonderful experience, and that’s an awesome time! Also, that cupcake looks like it belongs in my mouth hahah.

That was one good cupcake. It was one of the best I’ve had in my life… I think it helps that I just completed the race and cooled down, hydrated… and that it was warm out, so the cupcake was a little warm, which is how I like them.

5. LilMysNinja says:

I love the thumbs up picture!! 🙂 Congrats on your time! You are fast! How tall are you?

I’m 5’0″.

Unless you ask my last doctor in Florence, then i’m 4’11 and 3/4 of an inch. Bah, what does she know…

• LilMysNinja says:

Lol…I’m 4’11”. Well, that’s what I’ve been saying all these years. I should measure myself. So we’re close in height…that means my shortness shouldn’t hinder my speed! 🙂

There are slow tall people and fast short people.

Ultimately what matters most in determining your speed is how you train.

Regardless of how long your legs are… you just have to work. I’m working hard to get fast, and I’ll get there long before someone who’s blessed with genetics and not working hard.

6. Nice job Amy! Sorry to hear the pace wasn’t exactly what you wanted but it sounds like a good time regardless…plus having fun names on bibs are my absolute favorite. I can’t even fathom that heat considering I raced in gloves today!

Well, it’s heat. We are definitely more used to it here. I was really hoping for a 7:19 pace but mine was 7:27… so still not bad, just 8 seconds off.

It’ll take me a few more 10Ks and more speedwork to get where I want to be for the 10K but oh well. A PR next weekend would be nice and hopefully I’m on track for that, but we’ll see…

7. Liz DeLoach says:

Love the pictures from your wedding and thanks for the Mother’s Day wishes! Great recap of an awesome race and a wonderful morning, Amy! I trained for the last three weeks to do this and was so grateful to meet my two goals of running the entire time and finishing in under 35 minutes. I could not have special ordered a better first 5K; this one has definitely whetted my appetite for more! Now I need to find one to do in June – maybe one of the Race the Landing races. Thanks for your kind words and support, Amy. My new Mother’s Day tradition – I plan to do this one every year!

Yes! This was an amazing run, I’m glad your first one went well, you met your goals, and it was just a good day over all. I mean regardless of a finish time, this race would be fun for anybody.

I hope I can do a Race the Landing too, I’m also thinking about a 14K Trail Race in June so we’ll see how it goes (I mostly only want to do a 14K because I’ve never heard of a race that distance before so it would be an insta-PR. Haha). I have only heard good things about Race the Landing though!

8. jenereesa says:

So awesome! I love that you have Tiny Terror on your bib. Congrats on placing first! (And I’m right there with you – did a 5k today where nearly everyone was wearing the shirts. I just couldn’t do it!)

Thanks- yeah, this was a fundraiser race, so a lot of people will wear the shirts for something like that. But, normally you don’t want to wear anything new on race day, and a new shirt is a new shirt. So even without the superstition, it’s just not something I do.

But… we have some crazy superstitions in this sport… LOL.

9. Looks amazing!!!!! 🙂 I love the colors too (lol) I am glad you had fun. Hoping your mom had a great mothers day! 🙂

Thanks- yeah I think my mom had a good weekend. I saw her yesterday (and totally forgot to post the pic of us in here, but it’s on facebook). I also liked the colors of the run :).

10. Dang, 23:07! What a great time!!! And I love the Tiny Terror on your bib..too funny! I need a running nickname! Probably something like, “I’m trying to find that bird! (pointing off into the distance).” LOL

My friend Buddy Miles gave me the nickname after the Hot Dam 5K back in the summer of 2011, and it’s stuck! So, he’s the one I have to credit/thank for it. The organizers also thought it was neat it was on the bib, I guess most people just picked their first name. They announced your name from your bib when you were finishing and for mine they kinda paused when they saw tiny terror, lol.

11. Kate says:

I love your 5km recaps!

And please, please mail me your cupcake?

You can’t have it, sorry. If I ever get my hands on another one, it will go from my hands to my mouth and belly stat. It’s offered at a cupcake store that is 25 minutes away from me, requires paying for parking, and only has it 2x a week… so it’s definitely a treat!!

12. Courtney says:

What a fun race! Congrats on the first place finish and the PR 🙂

13. I was part of that pack you were running with for a little while. You did an amazing job and continue to run strong. I am a part of Black Girls Run! and we like to uplift all women. The group was started to help break down the obesity in the African American community. You are more than welcome to join us anytime you like. We have over 50,000 members across the United States and several ethnicities who run with us, because we are so supportive of everyone.

Congrats on an awesome weekend and you looked beautiful on your wedding day!! Hope to see you on the pavement again soon.

14. Same here, I don’t wear race shirts to races. I believe in those superstitions too!
    Congratulations on winning 🙂 I love your race recaps. This looks like another fun and unique race like your previous one. 🙂 CUPCAKE + Massage = love!

Yup, I did wear my shirt once I finished the race- gotta have that extra shirt to put on when it’s super hot out. But I won’t wear it until the race is done hehe.

15. Amanda says:

I love the pictures and I want to eat the cupcake! Cupcake is a great shop. I have to say that I like their cupcakes more than Sweet’s.

I wish that I would have kept my numbers from all of my races. I guess it’s not too late to start…running 15K on Sunday at Biltmore Estate.

I bet the Biltmore race would be a good one to start collecting bibs :). I have like 40 by now, LOL. I like the ones that are custom designed the best!

That was my first time having Cupcake but I will definitely have another the next time I’m near the store. I miss Sweet because they had good cupcakes and it’s convenient. Here I would have to drive forever for a cupcake and i won’t do that.

16. Great job! Sounds like a great race! I kept contemplating doing it but waited too long, boo. I’ll be running the Riverdogs race next weekend though, are you?

I don’t think I’m doing that one… I haven’t registered and am thinking I may take a few days off then focus on marathon stuff this summer. But I’ll still do the occasional 5K. I’m also thinking about that 14K trail race in Awendaw.

17. what a great race! and I love seeing your wedding pictures (love your dress~!!)

18. I don’t know how you find all these awesome races. Most of the ones you run I have never heard of, but I am pretty sure I’d run this one for that cupcake alone.

I found this one through Liz, who found it through the Center for Women. Typically you can find all the local races on the Charleston Running Club website (I am not a member of the club… but they have a long list of races… there are multiple races here most weekends).