Cooper River Bridge Run 2013 and running lately

Happy Monday everyone Smile. Or, as happy as a Monday can be if you went back to work. Things here in Charleston have been really busy. This past weekend was the biggest tourist weekend so far this year (not surprised after it took me 2 hours to go to a grocery store and bank on Friday- traffic was pretty bad) since the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K was taking place.

I didn’t run the Cooper River Bridge Run this year. I’m not a huge fan of large crowded races, and since this is the 3rd largest 10K in the US, it definitely qualifies as a big race. This year they limited registration, but it was still really big… and I thought the Charleston Marathon race weekend was a bit big…

crbr_logo

Even though I didn’t participate in the actual race, I went to the expo at the North Charleston Coliseum to promote TrySports Mt. Pleasant and talk to local runners and runners visiting from out of town. At the expo, I handed out coupons, talked about run club, registered people to win giveaways and receive our e-mails, and best of all, hung out and had a crazy time eating the tasty samples.

The expo had free samples of ice cream- clearly they know what this runner likes to eat Flirt female.

tumblr_lt2j9uBKxt1qa6q7so1_500

On Friday night, I welcomed the Fitness World Run Club to Charleston by organizing a pre-race dinner at Parson Jack’s Café here in West Ashley. The restaurant doesn’t have a view, isn’t downtown, and doesn’t have a famous named chef, but it does have tasty food, a friendly staff, and great prices Money. I tried to keep everyone’s budget in mind (everyone was traveling from out of town, and gas and hotels aren’t cheap), as well as eating preferences and locations. Plus, lots of great Charleston restaurants are located off the beaten path and this is definitely one of them Party smile.

I also baked peanut butter caramel cookies and ordered this awesome cookie cake from the Harris Teeter bakery, since my baking skills aren’t up to par to actually make one of these Winking smile. Harris Teeter did a great job.

We had 23 people at our pre-race dinner and everyone had a great time. Since this run club formed two months before I moved to Charleston, I was only able to physically be a part of it for a short amount of time. However, we have an active Facebook group that keeps me motivated as well as a few others who’ve moved or live in other places that are active- so I feel like a part of the run club, even though I haven’t run a race in Florence since November.

Of course, a lot of new people have joined the run club since I moved (it’s only been oh, 10 months!), so this was my first time meeting some people who I’ve only talked to online. I love that running lets us have bonds like that. We even took a big group picture- I’m in the front wearing the Running to Heaven shirt from last year’s Race for Taylor.

CRBR_group_pic
On race day, I ended up running 8 miles in my neighborhood and didn’t even time it, but everyone who ran the race had lots of fun. It was most people’s first time running this race and a few people’s first 10K ever, so instant personal or course record Bunny.

Congratulations to everyone who participated- it is *not* an easy run over that bridge… and yes, that’s my painting and Clay’s perler bead art.

As for me, I am training pretty hard for this year’s Race for Taylor. I’ve been running a speed workout once a week and doing three really hard runs per week, usually on my own. The days I’m not running, I rest *a lot*- meaning I do yoga or run very easy with friends and run club Left hugRight hug.

When I started running with the TrySports run club, most of us were training for a half marathon or full marathon. Now, most of us are just running for fun, not training for anything specifically, and I kind of like that better. I run with other people and encourage them more, then get my actual workouts in another time.

comparison_quote

It’s actually quite enjoyable not chasing after the speedy run clubbers. Plus, it keeps me from falling into the comparison trap that sometimes happens in group settings or feeling bad because I couldn’t keep up with someone else- which sometimes happened when I did boot camp and CrossFit classes before moving down here. The group I run with is amazing, with tons of paces (everything from Boston Marathon qualifiers to Couch to 5Kers), and I’m lucky enough to be able to run with most of them, so why not?

I hope everyone has a great week. I’ll be back later this week with more fun stuff and hopefully more house stuff. Still keeping our fingers crossed on everything… Fingers crossed.

This entry was posted in 10Ks, Avondale/West Ashley, Fitness World Run Club, TrySports Ambassador and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Cooper River Bridge Run 2013 and running lately

1. Great you were able to hang out with runners when you weren’t running. You’re running communities inspire me to want to run in groups and meet awesome runners. I am a very occasional group runner, but I should do it more often, so I do not have to blog so much to connect with runners!

I love connecting with the blog too, but one thing about a run group is you have a community there. If you’re interested in a certain workout, diet, fuel (gel, jelly bean, gu, etc), shoe, chances are someone in the group has tried it and can offer their input…. which is always nice.

I got the best deal out of the Cooper River Bridge run… went to the expo, had a great pre-race meal and dessert… didn’t even have to run the race!

2. That’s awesome you helped at the expo! And ice cream? What a great bonus. 🙂

3. that sounds like one killer expo. I kept hearing my sister talk about the crowds for the race, it is a big deal there. I don’t know if I would like such a crowded race, I guess for the experience though people love it.

If I can get a sub-45 10K to qualify for the “competition” corral, I will do it that year just for the experience, I think (my 10K is like 3 minutes off, but I don’t race that distance often).

I don’t think I’d want to do it every single year, but living here *everyone* asks you if you’ve run this race when they find out you run. So maybe I’ll do it one day just so I can say yes…

… Or maybe I’ll *never* do it just so I can tell them that you can be a real Charleston runner without having participated in the Cooper River Bridge Run ;).

We’ll see.

• Now I am intrigued, may have to try to do it next year seeing it is my sister’s senior year at Charleston

Yeah, there were some students doing it, I talked to a few people who are here for law school that ran it when I was at the expo. For a lot of people, it’s a bucket list type thing, and also it’s the only race some people ever really do.

We do have a couple half marathons and a few fulls down here too if you wanna opt for that! But you should come visit so we can finally meet IRL.

• It is my goal to run a race down there, it will happen. I promise.

4. Sounds like you enjoyed just hanging out with the runners and helping out…blessings and thanks for sharing!

Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run

5. pkeenan1292 says:

That is awesome you’ve found another way to connect with runners! Good luck with your upcoming run

6. Oh my gosh that bridge run cookie is too cute. I wouldn’t want to be the first one to break into it. I’d let someone else go first and ruin it then I’d break off my own huge chunk.

Yeah, it was tasty but you’re right, it was weird cutting into the cuteness! I didn’t cut it though.

Harris Teeter does a great job if you are ever in need of a cookie cake. They are $12.99 there but twice that at the mall and HT will do a custom design for you (that’s what this was).

• It is only 12.99 for the design? That is awesome. Do you have to draw it out or do they do it all?

I called to place the order. I just told the lady on the phone what I wanted the cake to say, the run club colors (blue and red) and asked if she could draw either a running shoe or a bridge. She said she’d done a bridge before, so I said go with that and make it say “Beat the Bridge” ;).

7. spectacuLAUR says:

Omg, I love the bead art! I want one so bad with Mario/Yoshi! My brother would go crazy if he saw this! Haha! I always read about your running group and it makes me extremely jealous! I wish so bad I would have found a group when I used to run because I think it would have saved me an arm and a leg (literally). I think the support you have from others who just love what you love means ten times more than anything else.

And I definitely would steal all of those free samples with you. Lol

8. Stacy Legg says:

You are such a vital part of Fitness World Run Club! Thank you SO MUCH for planning the dinner. Everyone had a blast and the food was delish!!! The painting is beautiful 🙂

Thanks Stacy :). I love that I’m a part of it even living here. You’re welcome for the whole dinner thing, honestly it was the least I could do for you guys because y’all encourage me so much too- especially you! You looked amazing Saturday night :).

I’m going to do a few more paintings soon. It’s a great stress reliever which is helpful if running (my usual stress reliever) ever starts to stress me out!

9. Nerri says:

That race IS crazy big! I think I missed the expo when I ran it – I had them mail me my packet before the race. I must have been a racing n00b because I swear I would never miss an expo these days – too much awesome free stuff 🙂 However, I do agree that the race has way too many people to run properly at all. Such a great experience running over that bridge (and around Charleston) though!

I know some people who went to the expo but also had theirs mailed, just because I guess they weren’t sure they’d make it or not. Better safe than sorry, especially if you’re traveling in. Even there, you could still bypass all the expo stuff if you *just* wanted to pick up your packet.

But I agree… I would never miss an expo. I’ll go to this expo each year even if I don’t run the race, haha.

10. Sarah says:

“I run for ice cream, there I said it”. EPICNESS. Screw the whole will run for beer thing, ice cream trumps beer. Wine however… eh, can I say equal 😉 I love your painting, very nice and very skillful! I’m just really happy that you had a great experience with this event! Can’t wait to hear from you soon.

I agree, I don’t like beer and honestly, if I never had another alcoholic beverage, I would not care at all. I don’t like free beer after races either, I wish they would have an ice cream truck or something, now that would make me happy! And if I ever organize a race that is what we will heave :).

That’s an older painting actually… I’m hoping to do a few more soon. It’s very stress relieving.