House happenings and busy weekends

Hey everyone! I hope you’ve all had a good week. Mine’s been really busy- we’ve had something going on most nights this week, and it’s not letting up anytime soon.

amy_work

Wednesday was National Walk at Work Day, but my coworkers totally abandoned me and did not meet me behind the building to walk like the email said. I guess I’ll forgive them, since they’re nice people and they do live 2 hours away Winking smile. It’s still neat my job celebrated that, since it’s a software company and not exactly an industry known for being active. Nadine and I went for an almost three mile run around Summerville that morning, and since she doesn’t work outside the house either, that was our little celebration.

Tonight, I went to the Cooper River Bridge Run expo to help out at the TrySports Mt. Pleasant tent/booth. Basically, I just talked to runners and invited them to the run club, running store, and to register for a bike we’re giving away. The expo was super fun- it was only my second race expo ever, and I didn’t take any pictures, but I did enjoy two free samples of ice cream and managed to leave without buying anything. Expo success!

Tomorrow night, I’m hosting a Pre-Race dinner for the Fitness World Run Club, which is my run club from Florence/Darlington/Hartsville before I moved down here. We’re having dinner at a restaurant here and just hanging out. I’m excited about seeing so many friends from Florence and also others who I’ve met through the run club Facebook group and haven’t even had the chance to run with yet.

BTS5K1

Hopefully next year I can actually host something at our home because there will be places for people to sit unlike this tiny apartment.

Speaking of the house, we went to the bank to actually apply for our mortgage. I had to sign tons of papers and I know I’ll have to sign even more when we actually sign the contract. We found a lawyer for our closing, have insurance quotes, and have to get copies of bank statements and other stuff for the mortgage loan officer this weekend. It’s stressful, but fortunately we have good credit and got a really good rate at least.

amy_bank

When we left the bank, we headed to Triangle Char and Bar in West Ashley for some yummy dinner. I had a Groupon and it was perfect for a date night, we ended up spending less than $10 (after tip) on our meal. I have a feeling with buying a home, we’ll pretty much only be eating out when we have things like Groupons for awhile Winking smile. Fortunately, it’s one of our favorite restaurants.

Picture 109

I got the black bean burger (so yummy!) and sweet potato fries, and Clay got the steak tacos. It’s an open air restaurant, but it got super chilly and we had to move around tables so I’d be warm. The weather’s been nice here, but it feels like Spring, not Summer… not warm enough to have the doors and windows open all the time.

I guess signing all those papers and eating the delicious food made us tired, because I came home and took a 2 hour nap and Clay slept for about a half hour. And yeah, we still went to bed before 11.

amy_clay_tired

Things with the house are going well. Provided the mortgage goes through, we’ll be closing and moving in early May, and if it doesn’t go through… well, we’ll just be here awhile longer (and obviously pretty sad).

amy_clay_apt

If you plan to buy a house… don’t wait until you’re a few years out to start living frugally and saving money- start *now*. Down payments are not easy to come by, and despite all my saving, we still weren’t able to put a huge down payment due to home prices. Plus, banks want copies of bank statements and things, so you want them to see that you have assets, and whatever you do, don’t get into credit card debt! If you have a card, pay it off ASAP each month- supposedly people with credit scores in the 600s are being turned down for home loans right now. Scary stuff Ghost.

Another tip, if you’re like us and have lived a few different places, keep a document that has the addresses where you’ve lived. We just moved here last year but still struggle to remember our old address sometimes- you forget these things. Read over everything closely too- several applications have still listed us at the Florence address Eye rolling smile.

Anyway, that’s it for now. I have a busy weekend with the fun dinner tomorrow night and staying away from the Cooper River Bridge Run downtown on Saturday- I plan to run 8-10 miles on my own, far far away from downtown. Clay’s heading to a Chemistry Conference back in Florence (even though he’s not in that job anymore and doesn’t use that degree, he still loves it), so I may try to get some spring cleaning in too.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

This entry was posted in Buying a Home, Fitness World Run Club, Running Clubs, TrySports Ambassador and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to House happenings and busy weekends

1. spectacuLAUR says:

I could never leave an expo without SOMETHING. In my opinion, that is an expo success for anyone! Stupid sport beans… Get me every time! Also, I’m glad I have a good credit card statement and have built my credit over college with the help of my mother (what else is new?). At least I have better chances of getting a house in the very distant future! Aww, well at least someone walked around with you! How could people not want to celebrate a holiday!? Boring co-workers!

Well… I did get two free samples of ice cream at the expo ;). That was some good ice cream too! One was red velvet and the other was mint chocolate chip, so two new-to-me ice creams as well.

I’m also glad you have credit and it’s good. I have good credit, but it’s limited because I always heard the cards were “bad”.

I think a lot of my coworkers celebrated, actually. At least at the home office- it was a pretty day so I’m sure they all went for walks. At least I hope most of them did! I go for a run almost every day so I guess a holiday about getting active is kind of a moot point for me, but at least I ran with another person who is at home. Those of us who don’t have coworkers with us gotta stick together!

2. christina says:

aw, i would have walked with you!

Haha, well I am in West Ashley but we could always get together for a run or something sometime! I actually come to MTP a lot to run on the bridge/Patriot’s Point/old village/iop.

3. Never heard of National Walk Day. That’s pretty cool. What a way to promote active lifestyle 🙂 *love your 13.1 headband by the way. 🙂

Nice to know all things are doing well with your new house. 🙂 So exciting. Thanks for the tips. We’ll definitely keep them in mind since we are in the process of house hunting 🙂

Have fun on your pre race dinner tom. 🙂

Thanks- it’s a bondi band headband. I guess I should have looked for a 26.2 one when I was at the expo, but I didn’t. That would’ve broken my no spending resolution, though.

I’m super excited about the pre-race dinner too!

4. KrisLawrence says:

The house paperwork is insane but it sounds like you two really have your act together and should be moving in May! Excited for you!

Have a great run Saturday!

Thanks Kris! It will be my first long run alone in awhile, which might prove to be tough, with most people at that race and all. But, I might do even better and push myself more? Who knows!

5. ladycoop says:

Crossing my fingers for you on all the house/mortgage stuff. It’s crazy all the papers you have to sign and turn in.

6. sounds like a very busy week for you! I hope everything goes well with the house. That is a very exciting part (even though it can be stressful)
    I hope you have a great friday!

7. for expos I never buy anything but I make sure to get lots of free stuff and I mean stuff my pockets lots!

8. Zaneta says:

How exciting about the house!! I can’t wait until me and the hubs can buy our own house!! (hopefully another year or so is it!) 🙂 Sounds stressful going through the process but once the contract is signed I’m sure it’s really exciting! 🙂

9. Kara says:

That’s sooo exciting you’re buying a house!! I can’t wait to do that someday 🙂 Hope it all goes well and works out perfectly. Can’t wait to hear all about it and see pics!! 🙂 Good luck!

Thanks Kara, yeah it’s definitely an adventure! I will post some pics when everything happens and we actually move, but that’s a few months off still.

10. Good luck on all the house stuff. I hope it goes well.
    I love Triangle’s sweet potato fries, heck, I love all sweet potato fries:)

11. Steph says:

Did you do all those drawings?

12. Sounds like a great weekend so far! Love that you’re part of a runners group, thats so motivating and helps with accountability.

We own our condo right now but it’s definitely not the long term plan and we have been talking for quite a while on the next step. It won’t happen for quite a while as we have dealt with real estate for a while and learned our lessons along the way. But where we are is great for us but not for a family… so all the hard decisions aren’t too far off!

Keep me posted on upcoming 10K+ races you know of in the future. Especially May-June!

My friend Gary and I were running tonight and he said he’s doing Bohicket Marina 10K to hopefully break 45 to get seeded next year. I’m not sure when it is but I’m sure google could help find out.

BTW if you ever want to come out to run club let me know, they’re totally open to newcomers and you would fit right in with everyone. It’s through the TrySports store and it’s really nice bc when you’re training for a long race you have people to long run with.

• I def plan on coming to a saturday run when my races are over. 2 more! I can’t do the weekdays because I train bootcamps until 8:30 and don’t get home until after 9. Boo.

I understand, you are one busy lady with training and driving to teach/lead all the boot camps. It amazes me that you still have the energy to do your own workouts with all that.

I’m there every Saturday unless I’m doing a race myself, it would be neat to run with you because we’d probably run about the same pace for a long run. We do have some fast girls and guys too!

13. allieksmith says:

How cool that your company participates in a walking day! Also, yay for free samples. Those are the best.

I can totally understand that house-related things would make you tired. I would want a nap, too after signing papers and taking all the information in, you know?! Thanks for all the info about future home buying as well! I hope all goes well with your closing in May! That is so soon! I’m sure everything will work out… and if not, it isn’t meant to be!

Yeah, it’s stressful. Stress makes me sleepy!

Yup, my company does the walking day. I’m not sure how many people actually participated, since I’m not there or anything. But I do know that I live a healthy lifestyle here and that some people I work with also do.

14. i can’t wait to see pics of the house! i hope the closing goes well. signing all that paperwork sucks!!

15. Kate says:

Happy weekend – again (I know I’m a bit behind here). I’m loving the pictures, and I’m going to have to go back and check out the back story. I hope everything with the house is going well.