Fun Fridays in Downtown Charleston

Since I was off work for Good Friday (hooray for working for a software company that serves churches- we get Good Friday off), Nadine and I headed downtown to explore and cross off a few places on my Charleston bucket list. Yes- I have an actual list of places to eat, see, or visit here in Charleston, and it grows all the time.

We even met a new guy downtown- he was just hanging out at the Custom House when we walked by.

Too bad he’s wearing a red coat for the British, hehe.

We headed down Broad street to the Fast and French restaurant. Fast and French is also known as Gaulart and Malicet, and even though I took four semesters of French in college, don’t ask me to pronounce that! It’s super small and doesn’t have traditional tables or booths like other restaurants; instead, you’re seated with other complete strangers at bar type tables to eat your meal. There are only about 3-4 communal tables, so it’s a little cramped, but the service was super fast and the food was very French (if you wanted French- they also had other dishes), living up to its name.

I had the vegetarian pizza baguette. It was really tasty, basically like a grilled cheese with broccoli, green peppers, and tomatoes. I was expecting marinara sauce with it or something to make it a little more like pizza, though. The side salad was really good too, especially the dressing.

Nadine had the special of the day, which was French Onion soup and some sort of sandwich. I forgot what it was, but the servers bring out a cooked version of the dish, which entices you to actually order the special (most people were ordering it). You also get your choice of drink with it- she had iced coffee, but apparently you can get anything from a soft drink to coffee to wine. Interesting.

After eating, we walked around King Street for awhile and stopped in some shops like Forever 21, Carolina on King, and University Books (the College of Charleston student bookstore). It was a beautiful day and downtown was packed, but it was still great for walking around- I’m not sure how many miles we walked, but it was a LOT.

We also went to the cemetery at the Charleston Unitarian Universalist church. It’s one of the oldest churches in the US and the second oldest church in Charleston. Even if you’re not into churches or cemeteries (honestly… we really aren’t either), this one is beautiful to visit if you’re around. Lots of flowers were blooming in the warm Spring weather.

If Clay and I were living here and not already married, I think this would be a great place to tie the knot in a spring wedding, or it would be really nice to take senior pictures.

I didn’t take any pictures of the actual graves, but some of the headstones were so old- from the 1700s and 1800s- you could barely read them. The ones we could read, it seemed like everyone died super young. Most people buried there were only slightly older than us. We felt like tourists but definitely snagged an out-of-towner to take a picture of us; It turned out pretty cute too.

Of course, after walking around downtown and taking pictures, we had to grab dessert. I thought about getting frozen yogurt, but we spotted Belgian Gelato across the street, and since I’ve never had a legit cone of gelato, I decided on that. I got a chocolate chip and vanilla one in a waffle cone with chocolate inside. It was almost like a fresh Nutty Buddy without the freezer burn. N got a chocolate flavored gelato with a chocolate cone. Good stuff.

The gelato shop girls were super sweet and let us sample the flavors (especially me, I wanted samples since this was my first time actually getting it) and taking this picture in front of the giant cone of gelato outside. It’s slightly pricey, but hey- it’s an indulgence, a treat only for when you’re downtown. Really, you can’t miss this place if you come to Downtown Charleston- and you shouldn’t miss it!

We had a pretty awesome Good Friday downtown. Saturday morning, I went to a group run at the West Ashley Greenway and ran 12 miles again (just like last week), but felt super strong at the end of this 12. Then, I went to Earth Fare and Clay and I had lunch at Triangle Char-N-Bar and went grocery shopping. Our dates almost always include a trip to a grocery store- gotta love married life.

As for Sunday, the Easter Bunny visited and left a few goodies for Clay, like a University of South Carolina car sticker, gum, Endangered Species chocolate, and all-natural milk chocolate eggs from Earth Fare. These are the richest, most delicious, chocolate eggs I’ve had- they blow all the conventional Easter candy at the drugstore out of the water. Really. Of course, I’ll definitely get a few of those chocolate eggs and have also been dying to read Grill This, Not That too. I misplaced the actual basket when we moved, so the Easter Bunny just laid everything out- works for me.

I thought about going to church but woke up a bit late to go downtown for it. Parking is hard enough there and I figured all the other holiday goers would be out, so I passed. We spent the afternoon together, grilling out, went to the gym, and just hung out around the house like most Sundays.

And now, back to the usual grind… I hope you all had a great holiday weekend!

You might like…

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Downtown, Holidays and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Fun Fridays in Downtown Charleston

1. I’ve never been to Fast and French, but now both you and my mom have suggested it so I really want to go.

It’s a neat place, although I’d get something else when I go back- probably something more French (they have a vegetarian escargot which is like mushrooms, actually). Basically it’s fun to experience it.

Also, the coffee there is French press so keep that in mind if you order coffee. Very strong, and you’ll actually need cream (this is coming from someone who typically puts a few DROPS of creamer in her very strong Keurig coffee, so that says a lot about its strength).

2. Sounds like a great holiday weekend! Glad that run went well. We’ve always wanted to go to the French Cafe, just haven’t done it yet (we’re Charleston slackers), gotta get on it!

You should try it out, it’s a fun experience. The menu is online too, it’s fairly reasonably priced but just a neat place in general… and how many restaurants have good, cheap, French food anyway?

3. spectacuLAUR says:

I’ve never had gelato either but I think it’s so funny when I go somewhere new and ask for flavors of everything. I always want to go to Rita’s and ask to sample everything just to see what the kids say hahah. The cemetery is probably the prettiest cemetery I’ve ever seen! Definitely one you shouldn’t be scared or creeped out to walk through! You’re such a good easter bunny 😉 Happy Easter!

I guess it’s that if I’m going to get something like a gelato, I want to make sure I get one I like. It’s definitely not cheap- it would stink to spend $6 on a cone of something that was slightly disappointing.

Yeah, we have some neat little places here, like the cemetery, little alley areas that have gardens, etc. It’s fun to explore.

4. Happy Easter! That cemetery looks amazing! I love being a tourist in my town. How do you develop a list of things you want to do and see? My boyfriend is a Yelp-fanatic and always finds the greatest places on Yelp. I also hear about a lot of places by word of mouth, but I have found myself going ahead and checking into them on Yelp or other internet reviews before I go. The internet…it’s a crazy place!

Well, I’ve found some neat places on yelp, but also through reading the City Paper (it’s a local free paper we have here that’s a bit more artsy, creative, and well… local), Facebook, TV, just hearing people talk about places, etc. Apparently you can yelp anything now (I yelped a race. No lie) so that’s definitely a good place to find things to do too!

5. silkandtofu says:

I love gelato, it’s the best! So creamy and delish

6. silkandtofu says:

Also never been to Charleston but if I ever go, I’ll have to check those places out – sounds like fun! I love forever 21

You should come visit someday, you would really like it. It’s a neat city to visit or to live in. There is something going on every weekend- a festival, race, food truck event, fundraiser, concert, etc.

7. allieksmith says:

Woo hoo for having the day off and exploring around Charleston! I am so jealous of your eats. YUM.

Thanks Allie! Yes, the gelato was super yummy. The French food was tasty too, but I would get something else if I go back, something a bit more French. It tasted like a fancier grilled cheese (not that grilled cheese isn’t tasty…)

8. I took french in highschool and only know a few sayings. I wish I would have taken spanish instead. Looks like a great Easter weekend

I liked taking French, but at a small school I really only took it in high school because it fit into my schedule better than Spanish did. Spanish definitely would’ve been more useful in real life, but I enjoyed my French classes. I especially enjoyed them in college even though I didn’t think I would. They were some of my faves, in fact.

9. Hey you! It looks like you are having a lot of fun in Charleston. I’ve been reading your posts lately, but I do apologize for not responding. Congrats on the home inspection, by the way! 😀 That’s really awesome. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your homeowning adventures and tutorials.

Yum. That vegetarian pizza baguette looks amazing, even though I don’t like tomatoes all that much.
    Hey! The Fast and French seating reminds me of when I rode back on the train with my summer class from NYC. In the dining car, they seat you with other people. Now, I ate with three other students, so we had our own table, as I did post pictures of in my old blog. But my professor was sat with another train passenger. It was awesome.

Too bad our nearest Forever 21 is an hour away. Oh well. I’ll just have to plan a road trip out there again, soon. I’ve gotten some nice accessories from F21 before. Do you know if they still put John 3:16 on the bottom of their shopping bags? 🙂

Mmmm. Ice cream!

I really didn’t pay attention to the bag and can’t check for you bc I threw it away already, as I wore both headbands this week. It’s pretty far from me too just because I have to go downtown and get there, so I just go a lot of places when I’m near them rather than making trips.

I took a train to Va. once and really liked it. I didn’t eat on the train (it wasn’t a super long ride so I just ate brunch before then dinner once I got there) but yeah, it was neat sitting near other people and just chatting. I can see why it’s like that, Fast and French was super small too. It reminded me of eating in a cruise ship dining room, actually.

10. I hear a lot of good things about Charleston! Seems like a very nice place to put in my bucket list of places to visit! 🙂 I think I just read a blog post other than yours with awesome pictures of Charleston! I would love to visit the place someday. 🙂

* I love your long sleeves top BTW – “i’m a ski nut” 🙂 So cute! 🙂

Thanks. The shirt was a Goodwill special, $4. Fun times- it’s an American Eagle Outfitters shirt, though. I love goofy shirts and finding them on the cheap.

There are a few running/workout bloggers here in CHS and we love taking pictures of our city. It’s a great place to visit and to run, lots of runs worth visiting for too.

11. LilMysNinja says:

Ah, I LOVE Charleston!! Can’t wait to hit the Market this weekend. I always have to go every single time I visit. 🙂

12. Sarah says:

LOL “I’m a ski nut” I absolutely adore this shirt, Amy! Your entire weekend sounds like a good one, especially exploring downtown Charleston. Awesome news about your 12 mile run Saturday and feeling strong, I’m so happy for you! Yay! Oh that Easter bunny 😉 your stash looks nice though and the Endangered Species chocolate is my personal favorite – sooooo tasty!

Have a great day lady! xo

Thanks. I love the shirt too, it’s quirky and for $4 I couldn’t beat it at the GW Boutique (Goodwill Boutique… get it).

I love actually feeling good after a hard workout. I think if you feel like crap after them there may be something up with your training, you know?

That candy bar won’t last too much longer… Clay hasn’t opened it but I’m dying to try it so I may break off a little piece tonight as a treat.

13. Zaneta says:

Looks like lots of fun!! AND all the food looks delicious!! 🙂

14. Sigh. I LOVE Charleston. My list of things to do and see would be never ending too. Glad you got to visit and do some of them. All looks so fun! Makes me want to go back soon!