It’s Okay Thursday- March 28

Hey everyone! I hope you’ve all had a great week- ours has been pretty busy and exciting. We went downtown last night for a Yelp Elite event (more about that later), then tonight, I went to the Charleston M+Arty in Mt. Pleasant.

I’m glad I got there when I did, because I heard traffic was really bad since Joe Biden was in town. Apparently he spends every Easter weekend on Kiawah Island? I had no clue.

Plus, it’s a holiday weekend and I’m off for Good Friday tomorrow, so Nadine and I are heading downtown to sightsee and chill- fun stuff. But today I’m linking up with Brunch with Amber for It’s Okay Thursday.

• To enjoy getting out of the house at night and especially enjoy going to downtown Charleston. I guess the downside is you have to pay to park, but at least parking is fairly cheap (if you find a decent garage that isn’t crazy scary!)

• To refuse to look at future weeks of your 10K training plan because you know looking ahead in the workouts will scare you. My friend sent me a list of weekly workouts to help me PR in the Race for Taylor. Her last plan resulting in me *PRing* a half marathon, so she has the magic training plan touch in my opinion. Speedwork is scary!

• To feel incredibly overwhelmed in the home buying process. Guys… there’s so much you have to do to buy a home. I’ve decided once we buy this one, we’re staying put for *years*. At least our inspection went well, and this was *not* found in the home!

• To feel hurt by comments telling me we should save and put more cash down for a home. We’re not sacrificing a home we like for something cheaper, and we’re not saving to pay cash. If we did that, we’d be renting forever. Most of those saying this follow the Dave Ramsey philosophy, and while Clay and I went through the Dave Ramsey FPU class, we don’t subscribe to everything he teaches (or rather, preaches, since it is mostly taught in churches). I’m all for saving money and budgeting- we do, but everyone’s situation is different. If I owned a company like Dave Ramsey, I’d pay cash too- heck, I’d own a company!

• To laugh at all the Facebook profile pictures that have resulted from the equal rights movement. First it was the equal sign, but now there’s this one. Gotta love picking on Paula, y’all. I watched her today when I ran on the treadmill, and the show really is all butter- even down to buttermilk and butter pecans… yep!

• To watch Myrtle Manor and think it’s hilarious. A lot of people who live in Myrtle Beach hate how the show portrays their town, but everyone realizes reality TV is made up, right? Now, the trailer park is getting a souvenir shop. Hey, I’d take a Myrtle Manor keychain or bumper sticker, and I’d love to take a dip in their pool.

That’s it for tonight- hope everyone has a great Easter/long weekend!

This entry was posted in Buying a Home, It's Okay Thursday, Saving Money and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to It’s Okay Thursday- March 28

1. Oh no, I am SO SORRY people are making you feel bad about getting your dream house. You have been so excited about it all year and you just found one you like. I hate it when people give unsolicited advice about things that do not concern them 😦 If it at all matters, I fully support your endeavor 🙂

Yeah, I think some people will be hidden on FB for awhile. A lot of people from where I moved from went through the FPU/Dave Ramsey class, and we did too. We learned a lot and it was interesting, but it’s not applicable to every situation. Someone actually told me that we should save and try to pay cash, but homes where they live are A LOT cheaper, and that person definitely makes more money than Clay and I.

Where we moved from, it would actually be possible to save and pay cash, or put down a hefty down payment- I have friends selling condominiums for under 100K there. I wouldn’t even look at anything below 200K here in Charleston- just due to safety (there are some sketchy neighborhoods), school quality, or it would be badly in need of repairs.

2. Uhhh those people are… dumb butts, those that are attempting to advise you differently with the house business! Oh and I know I am so mature with my insults 😉 seriously though, that is obnoxious and when the whole process is already quite stressful, why do people feel the need to make it even more difficult? Gahh well I hope this whole thing goes well Amy, just think how much better you will feel (in so many ways!) when a house is chosen and you are settled. Hold onto that thought and image!
    Hahaha I hadn’t seen that Paula Deen one, love it. There are other hilarious ones out there, that is for sure 🙂

Ultimately… it is our down payment, which is sitting in a CD because I was investing before investing became cool back when CDs had decent interest rates. If we make a huge money mistake buying a home (that’s within our budget, with good credit, with a decent down payment, instead of paying sky high rent)… well, it’s our mistake. It won’t be the first or last money mistake we ever make, and we’d learn from it. It’s a risk I’m willing to take.

We actually have the house picked out :). It’s pictured in my last blog post.

I’ve seen so many crazy pictures on Facebook lately. I would never think an equal sign looks like two sticks of butter, but then again… I buy the little tubs of butter. Oh well…

3. pickyrunner says:

Speedwork IS scary! But it’s the #1 way to get faster. My coach always tells us to trust the training… it’s pretty good advice!

Yup, I am. I do notice when I’m doing speedwork my races tend to be a lot faster even if I’m running LESS. I do think you can increase speed just by volume alone, but with working full time I really can’t put in 40+ miles a week to do that.

The hardest time to trust training is the taper!

4. I hate speedwork too…that’s why I don’t do a lot. I’m very particular with it. Though when it gets warmer (and de-ices) in Oswego, I def plan to get some of it done.

Your money picture reminds me that I’m doing a 30 day detox in April with work and I chose to detox my wallet and spending…we will see how that goes.

Finally, Myrtle Manor is one of my new favorite shows. I can’t stop laughing at nearly every episode LOL.

You should blog about your 30 day money/spending detox in April. Do a challenge or something, I would surely join in… maybe others would too.

You are pretty speedy without speedwork, I guess you can build speed just by building volume of miles (you do run a LOT) and it’s really helping you. I bet you could do just a little speedwork and see big gains from it just because you’re already fast.

5. Steph says:

Honestly, you’re better off going ahead and buying the house if you can put down a decent amount and can afford the mortgage! Rent is expensive, and it only goes up every year, so it’s hard to get out from under that.

Also, I guess I need to get out of here soon if Joe Biden is here! I’m on Seabrook right now, and I don’t want a bunch of crazy people to come over here!

Hmm… I’m not sure they’d try to lock down the island or anything with him being there, but there may be some extra security so watch out while you’re down.

Rent IS expensive, especially here. Especially if you want to live anywhere fairly nice and safe. At least owning a home, you build equity, you own it. Renting, after awhile you are just throwing your money away each month.

6. I bet house hunting is stressful! You guys should cut yourself some slack, I think the process you are going about it is exactly how your should be looking. Not easy but it is something you both really want

Oh, we’ve found the house (picture in last blog is the house). It’s tough, but really… *others* should cut us some slack. It’s great that some people have put 80% down on a home and paid one off in 5 years, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t have to deal with buying a home in Charleston, which is much more expensive.

Mostly the paperwork and stuff is crazy!

7. Fun post! And forget all those people trying to tell you the right way about home buying, you can Clay know what’s right and if you’re comfortable with the house choice right now then its a sign to go for it! You’ll be in a home soon, and not a “house” that’s what matters. Have a great weekend! Happy Easter!

8. I loved all the pictures you included! Brightened my evening! See you in the morning!

9. I have never seen Myrtle Manor, what channel is it on?
    Oh and that Paula Deen had me cracking up!

10. allieksmith says:

The Paula Deen equal rights picture… OMG hahahahaha. That made me laugh so hard!

Don’t worry about what people say with your housing situation (I’m sure you’re not worrying anyways.. but), it’s YOUR life and your money and decisions! You’re educated about finances and housing and know what’s best for yourself.

Thanks girly! Buying a house, the least of our worries right now is what someone else thinks of us. We’re not trying to impress here, just want to get the best our money (and loan) can buy.

Paula Deen is so crazy. But she kinda reminds me of my mom in a weird way, except more over the top and obviously less healthy!

11. Sarah says:

Bahah “did speedwork straight after breakfast… didn’t throw up.” Actually always a huge concern. I’m loving the it’s ok Thursday post, really really loving it. Plus all the funny pictures 🙂 Best wishes regarding the house “situation”, I hope all clears up and you can figure out a solid plan of action…. I can offer no advice here other than go with your gut as I’m 19 and live at home paying through the roof for college! You will figure it out though, that I know!

College is kinda like home-buying prep… it gets you used to thinking about money in terms of thousands of dollars instead of hundreds of dollars like you did in high school. Except then when you go to buy a home, it’s more like tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Eek…

Yeah, I can’t ever run after eating! I do eat before my Saturday morning long runs sometimes, or a race maybe… but I eat like 2.5 hours before so it’s digested by the time I start, fortunately!

12. i haven’t seen myrtle manor!!! i need to get on that asap.