LifePoint Gift of Life 5K and Saturday Fun

Hey peeps! How is everyone doing on this Sunday Fun-Day? Hopefully well Party smile.

Our weekend has been pretty eventful and exciting so far. Clay and I both got off work a little early on Friday to go to the bank regarding buying a home. We both have great credit scores, so getting pre-approved shouldn’t be a problem, and we will be doing that next week, hopefully.

We headed to Olive Garden for lunch. I hadn’t been there in *years*, so it was neat to try it here. I had the Capellini Pomodoro and it was really good. Our grandparents sent us a gift card for Christmas so it turned out to be a super cheap lunch. One of the servers dropped a plate when we were there and it burst into pieces all over the floor. It startled everyone in the restaurant, but I felt really, really bad for her. I’m too klutzy to ever be a server- I would spill everything. I hope she doesn’t get in trouble, she was a nice girl and having such a rough day Embarrassed smile

Saturday morning, I got up at 6 AM (this felt early because I’m *weird*) to eat, dress, stretch, and head to the LifePoint Gift of Life 5K race on James Island. It was pouring rain when I got up, but I checked Facebook and saw this super cool radar post on my friend and fellow runner Noah. I *really* wish that heart-shaped patch of clear weather over North Charleston would’ve hit us at 9:00 AM- it would’ve been appropriate since the race benefits organ transplants Red heart.

heart_shaped_patch

No such luck. I left the house a bit late, and by the time I got to James Island County Park, parked, and talked to the race organizer (Noah and I helped out with awards on behalf of TrySports Mt. Pleasant), I didn’t have time to warm up. Not that it would’ve helped much, since I would have been even wetter and colder running. My shoes were water logged before I even got to the start, and they felt super heavy Snail.

I wasn’t in peak condition due to working out *hard* this past week, and with the weather, I wasn’t looking for a personal record or anything close. It was still a super fun race. The race course winds through James Island County Park, where the Festival of Lights is held each year. This course has a *lot* of turns, and 2 inches of water sat on the ground of most of the course. Some parts were grass, which slowed everyone’s times down even more. Even the start and finish were grass, making it hard to get out fast (important in a very narrow “bike path” course like this one) and finish fast.

I have to say, running was pretty fun. I ran without my ipod and listening to other runners was quite the experience. If you always run with an ipod, you’re missing out. I heard some high school runners discussing jumping into a pond on the course, and one guy did. The high school kids ran as a fun run to compete for a $1,000 prize for their teams, so I understand that not everyone was really “racing” it, but I’d hate to see the reaction of most cross country coaches if a runner just decided to jump into a pond mid-race. I guess he could take up triathlons; he is 2/3 of the way there Nyah-Nyah.

Other kids jumped in each puddle they saw (stopping in front of other runners to jump) or splashed water on their teammates. Oh well, it was more motivation when I finally got to pass….

It was my worst 5K time since July of last year, but considering how far back I was at the start, a hard training week, the rain, puddles, mud, grass, and course distractions, I really couldn’t complain with my time. I wasn’t looking for a personal record, but there was a record number of registrants, which was a *much* better record to break today. We also broke a record rainfall for the month of February, according to the local meteorologist who emceed.

Noah finished just in front of me (a bunch of those cross country guys managed a finish kick and passed me), but I did pass that local meteorologist, at least Flirt male.

At the awards ceremony, Noah and I handed out TrySports gift cards to the age group winners (I wish we’d gotten a good pic of the two of us. We didn’t. Next race, it has to happen!). We were all freezing, but I was surprised that so many people left after the race. The winners can pick them up, but I can’t imagine leaving before the awards ceremony, unless I had to go to work or something. Especially if there was any chance of winning something…

The teams who raised money for organ donation were also honored, along with participants who’d received or donated organs. The folks from LifePoint spoke about the importance of organ donation. I always heard thousands of people passed away while waiting on organs, but it really hit home today. Seeing so many transplant recipients or donors who were able to run or walk a 5K was also inspiring.

I finished the race in 24:22- here’s a soaking wet race picture for proof.

I placed 3rd in my very competitive age group (speedy 20-29 ladies) and got a neat medal. The shirt was great too, gotta love red instead of white! I got a youth large and it actually fits Thumbs up.

After awards, I dried off, changed clothes, and headed to meet my Florence running friend Colea and her husband Alan, who were visiting Charleston for the day. I miss running with Colea so much- we always ran together last Spring before my track practices and did a lot of the same races. She’s dealt with issues such as shin splints and plantar fasciitis in the past year, sidelining her from a few races and keeping her from PRs, and I’m hoping her new shoes will help with those issues.

colea_and_amy_tsmtp

Saturday night, Clay, David, Nadine, and I went on a little double date to Mex 1 Coastal Cantina. It was great hanging out with them, but Mex 1 was super crowded and loud Sad smile. Definitely not going back on a Saturday night, but we’ll be back soon because the chips and salsa are delicious- and of course the company was awesome too (although I forgot to take a picture). Then, Clay and I hit Chick-Fil-A because I wanted a mini sundae as a post-race treat. The mini sundaes are the perfect size for a dessert, satisfying, and not super bad for you either (apparently it’s only 170 calories? Who knew?).

Hope everyone has a restful Sunday before the grind of the week starts up. I plan to get some shopping done, clean a bit, and relax in my pajamas for the rest of the morning, hehe.

As an ambassador for TrySports Mt. Pleasant, I was compensated for my race entry fee- however, all opinions are my own.
This entry was posted in 5Ks, Charleston SC, James Island, Race Recaps, TrySports Ambassador and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to LifePoint Gift of Life 5K and Saturday Fun

1. well you put my favorite quote in there so boy did I love this post even more. congrats on a great race, you sure didn’t let the rain stop you

It wasn’t too shabby! A year ago I struggled to run that time in a road race in perfect conditions, and now I ran it in rain, mud, wet grass, puddles, etc. And I like that quote bc it was perfect for yesterday :).

2. Congratulations on your race and placing in your age division! That is awesome!

3. spectacuLAUR says:

I wish I would look HALF as good as you do in that picture after running in a rain storm. Hahaha. I would look like a drowned rat! Congrats on the 3rd place finish! I never ran in the rain and I don’t believe I ever would in fear of blisters!

I love how some places have mini sundaes because it satisfies your cravings without you feeling like someone needs to wheel you away from being so full! Ha!

I love it too :). Typically when I get ice cream I get a kiddie size anyway, it’s not like something you can eat part of and save for later so I go small. Plus the adult sizes are huge at most ice cream places.

As for the picture… that was the best picture. Someone took one of me that was a deer in headlights look! By the time I took that, I’d left the actual race course and went down to the road to Burger King to change, lol.

4. Congrats on placing even if you didn’t race it! Wow. It does sound like it would be both fun and miserable in those conditions. Running on grass in the rain is the worst feeling for me!
    And exciting developments about the house/loan pre-approval. I can’t wait to see how the process goes for you (and of course, the final home).

Yeah, it was a combination of both, but more fun. All racing is a bit miserable, but at least the rain and knowing everyone would be slower and it was fun, that was neat because there was no pressure. Nothing like running in the rain to make you feel like a kid again!

I’ll definitely let you know how things go on the home front! I just know i decided yesterday that we MUST have a porch because I hate to bring my muddy shoes inside- they’re still in my track bag!

5. Hey Amy!

Oh yes! In my years of food service so far, I’ve done just about everything…cry, feel overwhelemed, drop plates, drop trays, spill drinks, deliver to the wrong table, give the wrong restaurant check out, give the wrong change back, been cussed at, been made fun of, etc. But then I’ve also had good experiences… smiles, manners, good tips (well, for waitressing I did), hearing people request me for their visit, meeting good people, good survey results, and just appreciating the small things. 🙂

I haven’t been to Olive Garden for almost 2 years, come to think of it. 😦

Well, your 5K race didn’t sound too bad. I think it’s really good!! How many medals do you have?? I bet they’re building up.:D

And yes, I definitely agree with that quote on dancing in the rain. Story of my life right now!

I have no clue how many medals I have, but since you asked, I’m going to count them when I go into the office (it’s a home office, but I’m not making a trip upstairs to it unless I have to, since it’s the weekend!). I have them on a hanger but will need another hanger soon because this one is full… and I just got it for my birthday a few years ago!

6. Great job placing in your age division even through all of that.
    Mex 1 still sounds fabulous, but I guess if I go on a weekend I need to go super early or super late.

7. First, I honestly hate when age groups are 20-29. Being in the 20-24 age group is far less competitive then the 25-29 ha ha. I don’t want to even talk about the 30-39 age group…those ladies are nuts. Anyways, I know the feeling of waking up super early. My race was at 10 today and I woke up at 6:30 just to be safe.

I would be way to clumsy to be a waitress too. that is def not my thing at all. I’d feel super bad for her.

I mostly wake up super early to go to the bathroom before races. It takes about an hour for my oatmeal and coffee to take effect. I hate for people to think I’m an overachiever for getting up early. If I had it my way I wouldn’t… it’s just my crazy tummy (I will say I’ve found a LOT of relief lately though! Few diet changes are working).

Awards are 10% training and 90% who shows up. But to show how competitive age groups are here, the 2nd and 3rd place females today were both in their 20s. Good thing they did top 3 overall females/males and not just top. Had the race NOT done top 3 females, the girl ahead of me, who ran a 21 minute 5K in 2 inches of standing water, rain, and mud, wouldn’t have placed and neither would I.

Depending on the race, you have to be sub-20 down here to even be competitive. I’m working on getting there, it stinks bc my legs could’ve gone fast yesterday had it not been for the rain. Just waiting for some race day magic!

8. Nerri says:

congrats on placing even under those conditions!

9. Sounds like a great race considering all the nastiness we were dealing with! I would love to do a race with you soon, keep me posted on what’s next on the agenda. Every time we drive by Mex 1 it’s super crazy packed, we haven’t been yet. In fact, I just realized that the hot dog place closed down like 4 weeks ago… I’m slow with stuff like that. How was the food?

Mex 1 was great! Our first trip was the 2nd week it opened so I don’t think many people knew, but here is a little recap: https://thetinyterror.com/2013/02/01/date-night-fun-model-homes-and-mexican-food/ . It’s Chipotle style Mexican food but way better than Chipotle, the salsa is great and lots of different mix and match options and healthier things.

The next race I’m signed up for is in May and it’s the Race for Taylor 10K in Florence. I don’t tend to plan my races out, but this one is in memory of my friend’s son who passed away, so it’s been on the calendar ever since I found out when it was. My husband and I will probably do the i5K, and I may sign up for the Race the Landing series too.

10. Running in the rain can be either a fantastic and fun experience or a drag… this race sounds like the former of those two! Good job for getting out there despite the weather and also sticking to it even with the late start! I would say that is a great time considering all that you had to battle along the way. For the record, 6am is wayyy too early so again, all of these things going against and you still persevered nicely, I would say you have much to be proud of Amy 🙂
    And aww poor girl, I hope she was fine with her boss as well! I could never be a waitress for that very reason, I am super clumsy!

Thanks Tessa! Yeah, you can imagine the race day registration table was empty. I can’t imagine just not showing up for a race though if I was physically able to do it (sickness, injury, obviously I would not go). Just throw all hopes for a PR out of the window and think of it as a fun run :).

I don’t think I could be a server either. I’m clumsy and I’m really not super strong. Plus you’re under so much pressure to perform, and you’re never guaranteed to make good money. With an hourly job, you know how much you take home per week, but not so with waiting tables.

11. allieksmith says:

Every time you mention buying a house, I get super excited for you and Clay!! Also, I feel so bad when servers drop plates, etc as well! It’s like oh well! At least it wasn’t a baby, right?!

I think you did great in the race, despite the crazy weather!

Thanks girly! Would appreciate your thoughts and prayers tomorrow, we go to the bank to get pre-approved. We should be fine (we both have good credit, although mine is “limited”), but you know how it goes… *crosses fingers*.

I could never ever be a restaurant server. I admire anyone who can do it. *klutzy me*

12. Pingback: Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Nov 24-30) | The Tiny Terror