Running to Heaven- Sandy Hook Elementary Memorial Half Marathon

In January, I participated in the Sandy Hook Elementary Memorial Half Marathon. A company from Florida, Mena Shaw races, coordinated this virtual race for those of us who like to run for causes and wanted to do something for the families of those killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre. The race proceeds went to the Sandy Hook United Way, and as a virtual race, runners could complete the half marathon all at once, or over the course of several runs.

Since I was training for the Charleston Half Marathon in January, I decided to count the 13 mile New Year’s Resolution Run that my friends and I did as my virtual half. We ran 13.6 miles in 1:57.

Today, I received my finisher’s medal in the mail. It’s a beautiful medal and will always have a special place in my heart.

My eyes still get teary when I think about the teachers and children who were killed that December day and those families whose Christmas and lives would never be the same. I pinned Taylor Elmore’s picture to the medal and hung it on my medal hanger in my home office/spare bedroom. I’m sure Taylor is watching over the angels that heaven gained.

DSCN5350 - Copy

This entry was posted in Half Marathon, Memories, Race Recaps and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Running to Heaven- Sandy Hook Elementary Memorial Half Marathon

1. Oh how sweet. And how very, very sad. That teddy bear is so innocent, just like all the lives lost. I still cannot imagine life for those families.

The teddy bear and all the green remind me a bit of Kappa Delta sorority, actually (that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the medal). I think those were the school colors and I’m not sure about the bear, maybe he was the mascot there?

2. Nerri says:

I definitely teared up reading this. Such a tragedy – I’m glad you were able to participate in this virtual run.

Me too, I’m glad I found it online. Runner’s World featured it on their website and it went viral with tons of people signing up too. But that’s not a bad thing!

3. pickyrunner says:

The virtual half is an amazing idea. I hope someday they do an actual half. I would definitely be interested in doing it. You must feel really proud of yourself for running for Sandy Hook.

It was neat, yeah I just used a training run, we run 13 miles pretty frequently around here so it’s neat to always find someone to run with, so a virtual half isn’t too bad.

You should do a half one day (an actual race not just a virtual one). I have done 4 and they are really fun!

4. What a great way to do something to raise money and awareness. Still makes me so saddened to think of that. I definitely hugged all my babies that next day.

Every time I saw the pictures of the kids and the news coverage, I thought about the kids I coached in track and field and how horrible it would be if something happened to them.

5. Wow, what a great cause for a half marathon! If I were a runner, I would love to do the memorial-type races because they are really meaningful and I’d feel like I was making some kind of difference while doing something fun and active.

Thanks girly :). Yeah, most races are for causes (minus the really big ones which are more like big events/parties). But the local, small races usually have the proceeds going toward a charity or benefit.

6. runwkate says:

Wow Amy. It’s great you got a medal to be able to look back and remember it all. x

7. Can I just say wow Amy… this truly brought tears to my eyes and goodness, what a great cause to be running for. Thinking that this entire situation is reality is still difficult to truly conceive, but awareness and support is what is needed right now

8. wow what an amazing run! and that made me tear up just thinking of receiving all those names. But a great way to make a little sunshine in a horrible situation

9. Pingback: Update On The Half-Marathon Half-wits | Notes for My Next Life