Crazy Valentine’s Date 2013- Waffle House

Since Valentine’s Day was on a Thursday this year and every single restaurant in town was super crowded, expensive, and required fighting traffic (including the infamous 526 beltway), Clay and I didn’t want to venture too far. Plus, if you’ve been reading very long, you’ll know we don’t celebrate like most couples. Heck, we went to Bruster’s in our pajamas for free ice cream on our wedding night (and did this on our first anniversary).

wafflehouse

In last week’s It’s Okay Thursday, I alluded to going to Waffle House for Valentine’s Day. Turns out, I saw a Facebook post about certain locations offering a special candlelit dinner Thursday night, and thanks to the magic of Google, found out the location just down the road from us offered the special dinner.

We planned to tour another subdivision close by, so that sold us (well, me. It was my idea, okay?) on Valentine’s Date Night at the Waffle House. Or as my friend Sam affectionately calls it… the Affle Waffle…

hashbrowns

Clay got off work a little early so we could go. He woke up at 5:30 to go in early so he’d get off in time for our house tour and 5:30 reservation at Waffle House. Yes, you had to make a reservation, and it was really funny because all of the servers asked every couple who walked in if they had a reservation, then had to explain what was going on because I guess people weren’t well informed about the special.

The awesome staff at Waffle House #1677 in John’s Island rolled out the red carpet for us. They decorated the restaurant with tablecloths, flowers, crepe paper, and window clings, and when we sat down, lit candles for us and played 90s slow jams on the jukebox.

They also treated us to this strawberry flavored creation with a whipped topping heart.

After our cute little waffle (it was almost like an appetizer, hehe), our food came out. I had an omelet with hash browns and raisin bread toast, and Clay had steak and eggs with whole wheat toast and hashbrowns. The waitress talked to us for a long time about buying homes, Valentine’s Day, and all sorts of stuff and took our picture. All of the staff members were really nice, you could tell they were making the most out of working rather than spending the day with their own significant others.

Italian food is on the menu for this weekend, but the Italian restaurant will have to work pretty hard to beat the fun of Waffle House. we munched on our food and talked about the homes we looked at (which we really liked- no goofy pictures this time). The food was typical Waffle House flair- carb central served up on signature WH plates and kitschy holiday napkins, but Clay and I had a cheap, fun, and memorable Valentine’s Date. We left the waitstaff a very generous tip and made their day, because the date really made ours.

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Married Life, The Handsome Husband, Things that make me smile and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Crazy Valentine’s Date 2013- Waffle House

1. ja_ml says:

We dont celebrate Valentine’s Day too as much as other couples do coz for us everyday is supposed to be like v-day. 🙂

That waffle looks good!!! 🙂

Yeah we don’t do anything big either for most holidays. Even our anniversary, we will probably just go out to dinner or something, rather than taking a trip or spending a lot of money on dinner. We do fun stuff throughout the year to celebrate our relationship so no need to save it all for 1 or 2 days!

2. Morgana says:

I love Waffle House! That’s Kyle and my date night place. We go every year on our anniversary and tip the waitstaff one dollar for each year we’ve been together.

That’s a really neat idea, tip the waitstaff $1 for each year you’ve been together. I like that. Maybe next year we will do something like that, thanks for the suggestion!

3. drooling over those hashbrowns. when I think of waffle house I think 3 am in the morning drunk college kids… at least that wasn’t you! haha

Oh no, but you’re right, WH is where drunken college kids go, haha. Actually, one of them here is close to Charleston Southern and my aunt used to tell me the CSU kids hung out there. That college is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Church so I’m sure it was packed at 3 AM with what you mentioned ;).

4. pickyrunner says:

Italian food and waffles is pretty much the best foods to celebrate. I would totally go to Waffle House for my Valentines Day date (if I had a boy in my life…). The waffle with whipped cream looks delicious!

Haha, it was okay. Not exactly “delicious”, but more like a fun thing to eat. We do love Italian food too and really most ethnic foods but don’t go out for breakfast often, so this was a nice change.

5. Cori H. says:

Sounds like a good Valentine’s Day to me! Joel and I stayed home, ate heart shaped pizza with a heart shaped cake for dessert, and watched basketball. It was nice just to be able to spend time together since our work schedules and living farther away from each other prevent us from spending a lot of time together. I didn’t know Waffle House was doing that. Such a good idea though! Hope you’re having a good weekend!

It was certain WH’s, so not all of them but a nice selection of them in SC and GA were doing it. It was also different at each WH, they basically had to decorate and plan for it themselves. I’m glad you and Joel had a great time- if V-day was during football season we would’ve done the same thing, watched the game and ate at home!

6. allieksmith says:

How cute that Waffle House went all out for Valentine’s Day! I just love that. I also low how humble you and Clay are. It’s awesome that you don’t feel like you have to do fancy things for dates. I feel like if I knew you guys in “real life” we’d be bff’s!! I want to hear about the houses!! Are you going to buy one, or are you still looking?! So exciting 😀

We’re still looking at homes. We take things slowly, our lease here isn’t up until June anyway and then it’s month to month so we can’t exactly rush into anything.

I guess we are pretty humble. We splurge on certain things (running shoes for me, video games for him, and vacations for both of us), but neither of us have ever felt like we had to spend a lot of $$$ to be happy. In fact, we went out for Italian tonight with coupons and it was about the same as the WH meal!

7. runwkate says:

That’s adorable as a valentines day date! Love the hearts 😉

8. Nerri says:

i LOVE waffle house!!! how fun does that look? now i am dying to have some heart shaped hash browns 🙂

Hehe, they actually did not do a heart shaped hash brown at the WH I went to. I think all of them did different little things for Valentine’s Day, which made it fun because there was a certain mystery to it.

9. Steph says:

Haha, you guys are funny. Oh Waffle House…