Believing, achieving, and big announcements

So, I have a pretty big announcement today.

I found out last week, but didn’t want to tease everyone about it (which happens when bloggers have “big announcements”- they tease for page views) or make people think we’re expecting (which happens when 27-year-olds who’ve been married two years have “big announcements”).

I recently became a member of the TrySports Mt. Pleasant Ambassador Team. TrySports Mt. Pleasant is a sporting goods store here where you can get fitted for running shoes, purchase a bike, rent a wetsuit for a try, or buy a foam roller torture device.

TrySports also hosts run clubs, bike rides, and training programs for every experience level and distance, from newbies completing their first 5K races to those racing marathons hoping to qualify for Boston!

The ambassador team consists of 16 individuals who participate in and promote various sports (running, triathlon, biking, swimming, yoga),  health and fitness, and TrySports programs in the Charleston, SC, area. Some things I will do with the team include volunteering at health and fitness events, welcoming newbies to run club, talk to people at races, and use social media to get the word out about the store and its programs.

I also get to wear a pretty awesome Believe Achieve team shirt when I race, so I get to promote it to everyone I pass. Especially those with legs longer than mine (i.e., almost everyone- short people problems).

I’m very honored but also humbled to be on the ambassador team. I’ve only lived in Charleston for 9 months and only been running for a few years. Some of our team members have been running, swimming, biking, etc since before I was born. Pretty amazing, huh Party smile.

Despite all athletic endeavors, I still think of myself as the bookish nerd who was always picked last in gym class- when I couldn’t fake sick or conveniently forget my shoes. Some things never change.

Until then, here’s my TrySports story for everyone:

As soon as I moved to Charleston, I searched online for running groups and ways to get involved in the running community. I was excited to find Try Sports Mt. Pleasant and the run club. I was involved in the Fitness World Run Club in Florence and know it’s a great way to meet new people, stay motivated, and have someone cheering for you at your next 5K or 10K.

Ten days after moving to Charleston, I joined the TrySports run club for a Sunday morning run at Park West, and I haven’t looked back. After the first two runs, I immediately felt at home with the group and signed up for the half marathon training program. I initially just signed up to meet people in town- living here less than a month and working from home, I didn’t know many people. I registered for the Run Like a Nut half marathon in Florence, and this would be the first race I officially followed a training plan for.

Even as a seasoned runner, the training program helped me take running to the next level. The run club leaders and educational talks taught me a lot about hydration, fueling my body for my workouts, recovering from tough runs, and sports psychology. The group runs were motivating and fun, and I immediately made lots of friends.

Long runs soon became one of the highlights of my week, and my confidence increased with the distances we ran. I’ll never forget how accomplished we felt after tackling 13 miles on the Cooper River Bridge and through downtown!

The confidence and knowledge I gained from running with the group powered me to run the Georgetown Bridge to Bridge and Run Like a Nut half marathons, setting a personal record. It was the best fitness decision I made in 2012.

If you live in the Charleston area, come run with us– let me know and I’ll make sure I’m there (of course, I usually am there anyway)! Walkers and newcomers are always welcome, and we appreciate your presence more than your pace Thumbs up.

Believe Achieve!

This entry was posted in Believe Achieve Run Club, Charleston SC, Fitness World Run Club, Moving, Running, TrySports Ambassador and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Believing, achieving, and big announcements

1. KrisLawrence says:

Congrats!! You are already a great ambassador for running in the Charleston area but now it’s “official”. Nice work!

Thanks girly! Yeah I’m really excited about promoting the run club and the store that sponsors it in the community. It’s really affected me since moving here so I’m pumped and hoping it positively affects others.

2. I am so pumped for you and you deserve that. I know what a role model you are here and in your community. It’s actually so hard for me to believe you have lived in Charleston that long…I remember when you were just moving!

I also died laughing with how you opened it up…so true. Normally when people have big announcements and say wait a week…I forget about them.

Thanks girly, I try to be. The area I’m from isn’t exactly known for being the pinnacle of health and fitness- rather the opposite, it’s the heart disease capital of the South! A lot of people from “home” kinda consider being a vegetarian, distance running, a little weird and crazy but I do try to be a good role model :). Charleston is a healthier living city, I guess.

I also remember just moving, it seems like I’ve lived here longer than a few months… but then sometimes I still get lost driving around and that reminds me that I’ve really only been here a few months, haha.

3. Noah says:

Congrats and welcome to the team! What a small world, we knew each other from the “Blog World” and now we’re on the same running team!

4. chasingthekenyans says:

I thought it was that you’d put an offer in on a house 🙂

Still just as exciting! Congrats!!

Oh we are SOOO not there yet. Heck, we don’t even have a realtor. But… hopefully that will be the next big announcement. Pretty sure that will happen before any “expecting” announcements.

5. Congrats! I, too, thought it was going to be a house announcement. How fun! Your story is inspiring me to be better connected with my local running club. I know when and where they run, but my training schedule has been so crazy that I needed to get out and do my runs on my time. But soon I can go back to fun runs!

I hope the next one will be a house announcement! We are still looking around at places right now. Yeah, it’s really fun to train with others, we have several running groups here in town, I’ve been to a few but I always liked this one the best because no one is left behind and really, *everyone* is welcome! Sometimes other groups have paces that are too fast to really include everyone :(.

6. pickyrunner says:

This is so awesome! I especially like that you’ve been running with them for a long time so it’s not just like you became an ambassador for personal gains. I’m really excited for you 🙂

Yeah, I’ve been running with them since I moved here… literally, 2 weeks after moving here! As far as benefits go, being on the team does have some, such as discounts on races and also team socials. But, obviously work involved like volunteering at races and things like that.

7. Alan Cooke says:

WooHoo!! You Rock!! Congratulations 🙂

8. congrats, well now if i come down to SC I will need to hit you up for a run cause you are the expert! so cool and right up your alley.

9. Meg says:

Congrats! That’s amazing. It (almost) makes me want to try running again. Okay, more like walking briskly. Okay… I’d at least cheer from the sideline. The way you talk about running is infectious. 🙂

Aww, thanks. At least it’s a good infection, right ;). Always thankful for people cheering others on. Running is awesome but it sure rocks to have people waiting for you at the finish too!

10. Susan says:

Way to go, Amy Lauren. I know from experience that you are a great ambassador. You will be a great asset to them.

11. Steph says:

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun! Congrats!

12. Oh my gosh so amazing. That is beyond awesome.
    I actually have a friend who just started running and was complaining about pain and I suggested he go there and get fitted for some real shoes. They are such a cool store and I am so glad that you are now a part of their team. Woohoo!

13. HOW EXCITING!!! that is so cool- CONGRATS!

14. Kara says:

Congratulations Amy!! That’s so exciting to be able to represent an awesome program like that…especially something that you really love and that changed your life! Woohoo! Someday when I make it to Charleston I want to come on a run with you guys 🙂 you’re a great role model and you should be so proud that you’re making a positive difference in your life and the lives of others. Enjoy and again, congrats!! Yay!!!

PS I love that this was a running announcement and NOT a baby announcement 🙂 (I just like running more, hahaha!)

Yes Kara! If you are ever in the area definitely come run with us, there’s like 6 times per week so surely you can make one of them. It really is a great group.

Thanks for saying I’m a positive role model. That means a lot, I do try to be… I really can’t wait to get even more out there in the local community now with this :).

Also, I updated my blogroll and added ya- just wanted to let you know!

15. Oh wow Amy, what an exciting and honorable position you now have! You are certainly a person that will represent such a company in the best way possible, that is why you were chosen for it 🙂 Good luck with everything and I look forward to hearing your thoughts as time progresses with them!

Thanks Tessa :). You are so right about representing the company and brand. TrySports is a pretty well-known sporting goods store with 4 stores in North Carolina and one in South Carolina. It’s a local business that started here but far reaching around the south, so it really is an honor. I’ll definitely be blogging and sharing about how things go.

16. runwkate says:

Congratulations! Well-earned, and I love your bio to go with it all.

I also love the little snipe about people thinking you’re expecting ;-). There’s always some expectation! My chiro checks my hands every time I have an appointment to see if I’m engaged yet.

Thanks- yeah, it seems like a lot of my friends have gotten pregnant lately or have just announced to the world (err, Facebook) that they are expecting. I don’t feel left out or anything- we don’t want kids right now. But almost every day, someone new is expecting. I’m convinced there’s something in the water!