A Very Charleston Christmas Weekend

Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone’s having a great Christmas weekend Smile. Clay and I both have a long weekend with four days off, and it’s super nice to not work in a retail job where we’d be putting in the long hours this weekend (we’ve both had those days and don’t wish to go back). We’re planning to just enjoy ourselves this weekend before we head to Hartsville to celebrate with Clay’s family on Christmas day.

I haven’t written as much because we’re pretty consumed with holiday celebrations. Last Saturday, we went to my hometown to celebrate at my extended family’s annual barbeque, which was a lot of fun. That’s our official Christmas celebration for that side of the family, and it was pretty nice that it was the weekend before the Christmas weekend. We exchanged gifts with my parents and got to see a lot of family members we don’t get to see as much, plus pigged out on tons of great barbeque, sides, and desserts (banana pudding and chocolate éclair are our favorites). The barbeque is always one of the highlights of my holiday season, so I wouldn’t miss it.

We also went out with some friends to Bushido for sushi last weekend. Japanese food is pretty tasty and we had a great time, met some new people as well.

After our sushi feast, David, Nadine, Siriana, Clay and I came back to our place, where the guys played video games and we ladies built a gingerbread house. Actually, it was a chocolate and peppermint house, but the same concept. I wanted to build one the entire holiday season and they were just as excited as I was to build it.

We bought it at World Market and drank eggnog and built it… trying not to eat all the candy until it was on the house. Once the house was built, it stood for about 30 seconds before toppling over, but at least we got pictures.

We also got a picture of Clay and I in front of our Christmas tree. This is one picture we have to take each year.

Merry Christmas Weekend!

This entry was posted in Avondale/West Ashley, Holidays, Weekend Fun. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Very Charleston Christmas Weekend

1. I love the idea of making a chocolate and peppermint house instead of gingerbread! I don’t really care that much for gingerbread but peppermint + chocolate are my favorite holiday flavors.

Hope you enjoy your weekend before Christmas 😀

I don’t care much for gingerbread either, which is why I opted for this house. Plus, it was on sale at World Market (half price- score!). Some of the stores here do sell them for like $20 already built but where’s the fun in that?

2. Cori H. says:

Our family always has barbeque on Christmas Eve. It’s a fun Christmas tradition! I’m so excited to have a long weekend Christmas weekend. I definitely don’t miss my time in retail. It always made the holidays more stresssful. I’ve never made a gingerbread house. Yours looked good! I’m sorry it fell 😦 Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Ah, it’s okay. Once it fell, I sent a few “walls” home with my friends so we all got to eat a little of it. I don’t miss retail and grocery store work at all during the holidays, or any time really. Clay worked at a pharmacy one holiday season though and I think that was even worse.

3. Sarah @pickyrunner says:

Aww gingerbread making is so fun! Yours came out great! Looks like you’ve been having an awesome time!

4. Loving the gingerbread house. I bet it must be weird to be in such a warm place for this winter season. Glad you are enjoying it though!

Nah, I’ve only lived in warm areas so I don’t know what it’s like to experience snowfalls and actual cold temperatures. It does get chilly here, but rarely snows, just not the climate for it I guess. It was in the 30s this morning but warmed up to be quite a nice day.

5. allieksmith says:

Marry Christmas weekend!! Looks like lots of fun! I’m jealous of you going to a BBQ!! I’d love that 🙂

Yeah it was definitely fun. Barbeques are pretty much a way of life down south during the holidays, at least in the country parts hehe. Even as a vegetarian it’s a lot of fun.

6. Liz DeLoach says:

Love the pics – and I really love Rudolph in front of the gingerbread house! Merry Christmas, Amy!

7. I have never made a gingerbread house. Sounds like so much fun. I hope you have a great holiday.

8. I like making gingerbread houses because then I won’t be tempted to eat them LOL. I’m not into hard crusty gingerbread but this looks like a ton of fun. I see you said it wasn’t too tasty so perhaps I would enjoy this too. LOL, I agree though. Fun and social is just as important.

Those Hollie, yeah I’m not into that hard gingerbread either so I was glad to find chocolate. It’s more fun making it than eating it. I’ve eaten maybe one wall and will probably throw the rest out after Christmas, but it’s safe to say from the pics we got our $6 worth. House was half priced!

9. Steph says:

Looks like fun =) Love the gingerbread house. Have a great Christmas!!

10. Totally fine to be consumed with the season and not blog as much… I totally get that one as you know 🙂 I am loving that gingerbread house, rather perfect and obviously delicious looking. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend as well love!

The house tastes okay. I really like the candy on it, peppermint and little runt things. I’ve been eating the chocolate pieces with my coffee each morning too. It’s definitely more fun to make than to eat, especially with the really good homemade desserts around for Christmas.

11. Sarah says:

This post is so happy, and many great pictures from your Christmas! I love it 🙂 The gingerbread house is cute, I’ve actually never ever made one and this makes me want to soooo bad. Heck I’ve never really had gingerbread – I think once maybe twice #holidayseasonfail.

12. merry belated christmas! i haven’t made a gingerbread house in forever – always a good time 🙂 i’ve never had eggnog — the “egg” makes me leary to try it! lol