Pecan Festival and Run Like a Nut Half Marathon!

This weekend, my handsome husband Clay and I travelled back home to the Pee Dee to spend a night with his family and go to the South Carolina Pecan Festival, one of my favorite events when I lived in Florence.

285188_360930287333861_582897883_n

We left Charleston at around 4 on Friday afternoon once Clay and I got off work. I was so glad he could come with me because it was iffy until Friday afternoon because of his job working overtime the last few weeks (Clay is a computer programmer who works on electronic Veteran’s benefits programs). I was so relieved when I heard him unlock the door and come in at 1:30ish Friday afternoon because I really wasn’t feeling a solo trip and run.

After driving on the super boring stretch of I-26 and I-95, we met Clay’s parents at Rebel Pie for a delicious pizza meal and the best cheesecake Clay and I have ever had. Clay used to work at Rebel Pie on the weekends helping our friend Alan made wood-fired pizzas.

Picture 001

Ahh… carb loading at Rebel Pie

I love Rebel Pie as a pre-race meal because the pizza uses local ingredients when possible and is light, so it’s like carb-loading without the heaviness- plus we love seeing our friends because it’s a family owned restaurant. After we ate, we went to Clay’s parents’ house and just watched TV and talked before going to bed.

Saturday morning, I got up early at 5:30 AM to eat my oatmeal and drink coffee- I would say bright and early, but it was pretty dark since the time hadn’t changed yet. I saw a nice sunrise on my 25 minute drive to Florence for the run. It was super cold so I kept my pajamas on over my running clothes until the very last minute!

Pecan_fest_pajamas

Warm and cozy until the start…

I got to the start and saw some familiar faces- Belinda and Greg and Karen and Steve from Carolina Running Company, a few Fitness World Run Club friends (Sarah and Sean), and my Believe Achieve run club buddy Krystal and her sister who came from Myrtle Beach to run. I also saw my friend Philip, who is the official photographer for the Pecan Festival. PJ took mine and Clay’s engagement and wedding pictures and does great work.

Since the air horn broke, Greg sounded the almost dead horn and yelled Go for us to start, and we were on our way. It was fun running through the streets where I have so many memories of running when I lived in Florence. Parts of the half marathon course included streets I ran on when I did the Florence Museum 5K and the McLeod Sports Medicine 10K (my first 10K).

Post-race with the hubs, rockin’ the medal

Plus, Florence is pretty flat and knowing the course, I was able to get my speed up and hold it for most of the race. I also loved the parts where I could see who was ahead of and behind me because that’s good for strategy and passing- every runner loves turnarounds for that reason. There were lots of water stops (I do wish there was one around miles 8-9), and even a cute little lemonade stand with water! A few people were having yard/garage sales on the side streets of the course, which was really funny because I love yard sales but it’s not a cool thing to do on the day a race is occurring outside your house.

The miles flew by and I passed a few people in the last couple miles, which was big since it was a small race. I kicked it up at the end and heard Curtis, the fearless leader of Fitness World Run Club who is incredible and training for a marathon, yell that I was finishing in 1:42… WHAT?!?!?!

tiny_terror_pecan_fest

Gah my form is bad! But whose isn’t after 13 miles? Here comes the tiny terror!

I finished, got over the initial shock, and got my medal. The medal isn’t as nice as the one from Georgetown, but better than the medals some finishers got- at least it has the race name on it. I don’t think there were enough medals or that this many half marathoners were expected- they ran out of medals that had the race name on them and substituted some other medal. I guess there were 60 of us or so running the half, but I’m glad I finished when I did to get the nice-r medal.

Me with my running rockstar friend Susan!

I was third female overall and first in my age group (25-29), and I got a neat car magnet. Cool that it’s for age group and says first place instead of third place. I’m kinda weird about putting things on my car, so I’ll probably put it on my fridge since I see spend more time in front of my fridge. The awards ceremony itself was very informal and the prizes were just sort of out and we were told to get hats and books if we wanted them. A lot of people didn’t realize there were awards and just left.

I had fun seeing everyone and running, but it really wasn’t the best organized race in the world, and I do wish Florence would offer more perks like the Georgetown Bridge to Bridge half marathon does. It’s really time Florence had a nice half marathon to bring in people from other local areas such as Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Columbia, especially with the Florence Downtown Revitalization going on. I feel like the race should step it up a bit and it would grow tremendously from people training for other marathons and half marathons in the state who want to get a race in and enjoy a weekend trip.

After the race, Clay and I headed to the Pecan Festival and hung out with Nick, Karen, and Kelli, we all had a pretty fun time taking pictures and talking and catching up.

Then, Clay and I hit the downtown farmer’s market and bought some delicious pink lady apples and zucchini, along with these cake-in-a-jar desserts from SweetLeigh’s Cakes and Treats– I got cookies and cream and he got caramel.

SweetLeighs

Rich and delicious- these would be perfect office gifts if I still worked in an office.

We also saw our friends Kevin (Pee Dee Foodie!) and Melissa and their daughter and caught up with them for a bit.

Clay and I with Kevin, the Pee Dee Foodie. He and his family and some other friends are coming to visit in December so we can go to the James Island County Park light display.

Our post-race lunch at Thai House was quite yummy but took forever! The waiter was new and actually threw our order away. We waited almost 45 minutes and when I complained, I saw our order in the trash! People who’d ordered after us had already eaten and left! Fortunately they got our order out to us and after much complaining, I got us a small discount- had it been a chain restaurant, our food would’ve been free…

unkind_hunger_words

It’s sad I had to complain that much just to get a couple dollars off when the server was clearly in the wrong. Oh well… I didn’t mind sitting around waiting since my legs were dead post-race, but don’t mess with a hungry half marathoner!

On our way home, we visited our friends Frank and Jenny. They just bought a new house that’s gorgeous!

We snacked on leftover Halloween candy and took some pics before hitting the road back to Charleston. DSCN4816

We definitely had a great time! I really missed all my Florence friends, and it was great to see everyone again. I was happy about my PR, especially because I just planned to run this race as an excuse to visit for the weekend and never expected that kind of time. But, after running 13 miles and walking around the festival, I’m pretty sure my Sunday will be very, very low key with lots of time spent on the couch with blankets and my feet up Smile.

This entry was posted in Believe Achieve Run Club, Fitness World Run Club, Florence Fun, Half Marathon, Race Recaps, Weekend Fun and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Pecan Festival and Run Like a Nut Half Marathon!

1. pickyrunner says:

This looks like such a great weekend! Congrats on a speedy time! Love your pre-race pajamas outfit… so cute 🙂
    It’s always so wonderful spending time at home with family… glad you had a good time!

2. ladycoop says:

So glad your race went well!

3. Cori H. says:

Sounds like you had a fun weekend! Congrats on the race! That sucks that you had such bad service at the restaurant. Those cake-in-a-jar desserts look amazing! I’m glad you were able spend some time with friends and family. Have a good week!

4. kayleeoutlaw says:

Awesome time & wow what a great trip! Loved the blog post!

5. Looks like a great time overall, what an amazing speedy run it was too! Way to go

6. Holy crud that is such a ridiculously speedy time. I cannot even imagine.
    Those jar cakes look amazing I think after a race like that you deserved to buy one of each type.

They are really good cakes! Pretty sure I will be getting more next time I visit Florence or either convincing people from Florence to bring them when they come visit me, lol.

I think the course was short yesterday, but it was still at least a 5 minute PR. I heard it was only 13 instead of the full 13.1.

Oddly enough I was not hungry immediately after the half, it was about 4 hours later before I really wanted food. Then I was starving…

7. Steph says:

Awesome job! And that pizza looks amazing. I need some pizza

Aren’t you coming here to Charleston to do a race in a few weeks, you know we could make the pizza thing happen ;). Obviously not Rebel Pie since that’s in Florence but there are great pizza places here in Charleston!

8. Zenlizzie says:

Awww… sometimes I really miss Flo-town. Congrats on your race!! For some reason, seeing everyone doing these Half race recaps makes me want to try to walk 13.1. I really have no idea where that is coming from since I don’t like racing or .. walking really. 🙂
    Those cake jar things look like something I could support.

Thanks Lizzie, yeah those cakes are really good but they are definitely rich too. It’s a really cool concept though, better than a slice of cake :).

I read somewhere that the half marathon distance is the fastest growing race. It is a fun distance and the training is manageable too. But really, I think any race distance can be fun whether you run or walk it, it’s more about the atmosphere and just having a good time with it and not getting too caught up in times, placements, etc.

9. Wow, I am so happy for you. This is really awesome and congrats on that PR. When I saw on dailymile, I was so so so happy for you!

10. holy moly!~ what an amazing time!!!!! that is awesome- GREAT JOB!!! It looks like you had a great trip

11. Noah says:

Great job! That pizza just made me really hungry though…

It is delicious pizza, Noah :). If you are ever in the Florence or Darlington area, you should check it out. Nothing like having my former go-to pre race meal then getting a PR!

12. allieksmith says:

Wowza! You did so great and your time is FAST!!! I’m sorry about the restaurant food mishap. I hate waiting for food LOL! Overall, it seems like you had a really, really great weekend!

13. runwkate says:

The late food bothered me so much here! Don;t they know about the re-fuel window? ;-). I would have complained like no-one’s business.

BUT more importantly, congratulations! Great time, and a huge effort. Even in ‘bad form’ you still look happy and powerful. 1st in the age-group is excellent – I read somewhere that distance runners peak in their late 20s.

14. Pizza!!!! Linking over from Run with Kate’s site. 🙂 Just wanted to say CONGRATS on your 1/2 marathon accomplishment; a 1:42 is totally amazing! Sorry about the food snafu…It’s crazy that someone actually threw away your food! Congrats again and happy Wednesday to you!

15. Sarah says:

Holy crap such a fun filled weekend my lady. First off, cake-in-a-jar… is this legit because it sounds way to good to be true. Cookies n cream, solid choice. Awesome job on your race and I agree after 13 miles whose form isn’t a tad off… oh wait, nobody. If you find anyone with perfect form let me know, I’d like to see it 😉 It’s absolutely ridiculous that your order was in the trash, like who even does that? I hope that your all rested up and legs are feeling as good as new. Have a great day!

16. Rebecca says:

Amy!!!!

Congrats on running another race. I would say very kindly that you ran like a nut. 🙂

Good idea on keeping your PJ’s on until it’s time to race. It’s already getting pretty chilly up here.

I want some cake in a jar!!! My latest craving has been cupcakes. Hehe.

The front of that house looks amazing. 🙂

Some days, I miss working in a pizza place, even thoug I was in the front of the house, most of the time. Occasionally, I snuck in the back and worked with the kitchen people. 😉

Have a nice afternoon!

17. Pingback: It's about your feet | Run with Kate

18. That’s so great that you got to make a trip back to Florence and got to see some of your friends from there! Congrats on the PR too 🙂

The cake-in-a-jar looks to die for, I definitely would have gone with the cookies and cream too!

19. chasingthekenyans says:

wow! congrats on 1:42, 3rd & 1st ! 🙂 your face is awesome – you were working hard!

20. Kara says:

Love the bright colors of your shirts! PS YOU ARE SO FAST!!!! Way to go!!! I want to be like you 🙂

Thanks Kara! I really pushed it hard on Saturday, though. I just think I am a better endurance runner than short races. And I love my shirts, especially my Try Sports 13.1 one, one of my favorite shirts now!

21. Patty says:

Woo hoo!!! Way to get it girl! Go tiny terror 😀

22. spectacuLAUR says:

I look like an ostrich when I run so I understand hating race pictures hahah! Terrible. Congrats on the finish! 1:42 is awesome! Those cakes in a jar are so cute. I love farmer’s markets, you always find cute little hide-a-way things! Plus, they really do have the best selection of produce! I hope you have a nice, lazy, relaxing Sunday 🙂

You’re welcome! I ran this a long time ago, but edited the post today so I guess it showed up in your reader. I hope I can run a 1:42 again one day. I don’t know how short the course was but it had to be short or off or something for me to run that time because I haven’t come close since.

23. Wow, congrats on an awesome half marathon performance! Way to go!