Easter Weekend, Weddings, and Sunday Run Day

Hey girlies :). I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend with your families and friends and at your place of worship, if you’re into that.

I enjoyed my long weekend starting Thursday afternoon with a 3 mile run with my friend Colea. The weather was kind of “iffy”, and normally a big group of us run on Thursday afternoon, but the crowd was off due to the holidays and iffy weather.

I wanted to run 4-5 miles, but we got a 3-miler in before we stopped so Colea could drive home (she commutes about 35-45 minutes away for work) before it rained. 3 miles is better than no miles, and we had a pretty fast time, too! I walked the ACS Trail earlier that day, and Colea and I walked a cooldown lap, so at least my total mileage for the day met the 4-5 mile goal.

Colea also gave me this awesome Bondi Band she got at the Cooper River Bridge Run expo- pretty sweet, huh? I tried it out this weekend and can’t wait to wear it for a race.

Speaking of races, I signed up for the Run for Better Days 5K/10K on April 21. Putting up those race bibs in my new, warmer, cubicle gave me the “fever” to run another race since I didn’t do one in March. The proceeds go toward teens who suffer from depression and other psychological disorders too, so it’s a really great cause.

I went to the gym Friday to lift, did some things around the apartment, and worked on a restaurant review and blog post (I posted Part 3 of the Technical Writing Journey, if you missed it and want to read…). Clay worked at Rebel Pie, his very part-time weekend job where he helps the owner make pizzas when the owner’s other help can’t come in, and I went to my friend Tiffany’s 27th birthday dinner at Red Bowl Asian Bistro. In college, Tiffany and I were in Student Government and Honors College together, and we were roommates for two years and pretty much best friends.

It was my second time at Red Bowl, and the food was good, once they got our orders right (My rice and side were mixed up with another girl’s, but the waiter brought us the right items a few minutes later). Our waiter dropped and spilled a whole pitcher of water at our table, then he misunderstood about the checks for our big party and accidentally gave Nick the check for the entire table… let’s just say Nick’s face was priceless! We felt bad for him because he had a bad night and everything was out of control. Poor guy. We still all had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves- I enjoyed meeting a bunch of Tiffany’s lawyer friends, too.

I got up bright and early on Saturday and headed home to see my mom and attend my cousin’s wedding. My mom was actually in the wedding lighting a candle in honor of my aunt (the cousin’s mom) who passed away from brain cancer back when I was in high school. I’m proud of my mom for holding up well at the wedding, without crying or getting too emotional– she is recovering from having a malignant melanoma skin cancer removed herself, but the doctors got it all (thank goodness!) and she has a clean bill of health again.

The wedding was quite nice; it was outside, but the weather was beautiful and we enjoyed it. I got to spend time with family members who I hadn’t seen since Christmas, too- always love seeing the extended family. Especially my Uncle Larry- his plate at the reception was full of meat, while mine was all fruits and veggies, so we had to take a crazy pic of it.

Easter morning, Clay and I exchanged gifts. The Easter Bunny filled his basket with his favorite things- Peanut M&Ms, gum, Mio water mix, meat seasonings (hey, the bunny knows this man loves his meat!), and I got a mani/pedi gift card.

Once Clay went to sleep, I went on my long run- 6.42 miles in a little over an hour. My pace was pretty fast, but I had to stop and walk a few times since I waited until almost 11 to start running and it’s been unseasonably warm here lately. I was still super proud because this was my longest run in awhile- two months! I haven’t had any hip pain so far, and I think my weekly yoga sessions have done a great job of keeping it away. The run pretty much *made* my morning :).

And… that’s about it. I hope everyone else had a great long weekend! Back to the grind for me this week, with work, two track practices to coach, a computer programming honor society (Clay’s getting inducted), getting ready for my race in less than two weeks, and whatever other fun stuff comes up. Later peeps!

Q1.) What kinds of fun stuff did you do for Easter Sunday? Did the Easter Bunny bring you anything cool?

Q2.) Do you go to tanning beds or lay out to get a tan? I will admit, I do enjoy laying in the sun and reading by the pool. But definitely not that often or for long, and a big N-O to the tanning beds.

Q3.) Do you cancel outdoor plans if it might rain, or do you take a chance? We didn’t cancel our run Thursday, but we altered our course to run a circular path so that we were never more than .3 miles away from a car at any given point. However, if it looked like an impending downpour, we probably would’ve headed to treadmills.

Q4.) What’s your favorite Easter Candy? I really like the robin eggs and the peanut butter eggs. Not a fan of Cadbury Cream eggs though…

This entry was posted in Family, Holidays, Weekend Fun. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Easter Weekend, Weddings, and Sunday Run Day

1. Kara says:

hahahaha to the “peep show” picture!! Sooo cute! And a big YAY for your long run with no pain!! woohoo!

As for question #4…loveee Reeses Eggs and Peeps. I ate way too much candy this weekend!

Haha, I just ate way too much this weekend! If it’s not candy then it’s holiday food. But oh well, it’s just a weekend, not like we runners don’t work it off.

2. ladycoop says:

We didn’t do much on Easter. The kiddos got baskets and we had an egg hunt Friday with our playgroup.

Tanning…well I used to go to tanning beds back in the day. I am SUPER white and don’t really tan in the sun. I just go for a straight burn. With the tanning beds I actually tan but I am too scared to go to them anymore. I have been trying to go outside for 15-20 mins every other day just to get some vitamin D.

For the most part, if the weather man says rain unless I see clouds I still go.

Fave Easter candy…..*sigh* so sad I can’t eat it anymore but my fave are the Mini Eggs in the purple bags. MMMMM Even if I cheated and ate it, I would regret it. I have a dairy allergy. :/

YES! I love those eggs in the purple bags… they’re Cadbury mini eggs, I believe, and they melt in your mouth. I was thinking they were actually called Robin Eggs, but I guess not.

Glad you had a great Easter! I hope the kids enjoyed baskets and egg hunting, too.

3. Your mom is a tough lady, and of course I am so glad the skin cancer is all gone! That ceremony sounds nice as well… sad yes, but a lovely tribute
    I definitely love to lay outside… I feel like I look so much better with color on my skin, but gosh it’s so not good for you in anyway at all. I have gotten much better about “needing” to have a tan though!

Yeah, now that I don’t have immediate access to a pool all the time, it is easier (trust me, I was more likely to “need” a tan when you walk past a pool that tempts you every single day, as it did in college).

4. Awe I’m so glad for your mom! She is seriously incredable and awesome! My only tan comes from running outside or working. I don’t purposefully lay outside anymore because I get so dark by other methods.

I also keep a fairly decent color year round from just running outside in shorts (love the South!). I’m by no means tan but I’m not super pale either, I just look kinda normal colored but healthy :).

5. Rebecca says:

Wow!!! Looks like you DID enjoy your long weekend. 🙂

I’ve never been to an outdoor wedding. Looks beautiful though! I actually want to get married in December someday, so an outdoor wedding wouldn’t work for me (I dream of carrying Poinsettias down the aisle!). Hehe.

And that is VERY, VERY wonderful about your mom’s cancer removal! And I’m glad that she’s healthy and had the opportunity to be in the wedding. That’s awesome! I know I’m at the age now where I need to lose weight, eat better, and be healthier for age/height. Too many health problems run in my family. 😦

1. I actually celebrated Easter on Saturday. Went to my parents’ house, and we ate and talked a lot. Well, I did most of the talking, but I guess that’s to be expected when you don’t have a roommate or boyfriend. 😛
    2. Neither. I burn if I lay out or go swimming in direct hot sunlight, and I’ve never gone to a tanning bed, but I give the big N0 on that too. Just the thought of tanning bed makes me claustrophobic, and uhh, they look like caskets. 😦
    3. To be honest, in Ohio, you make plans, but then you have a back-up plan… or at least I and my friends usually do. Like in the winter, for example, if it’s good weather and warmer, we’ll drive father and go more places. But if we know that snow is coming, then we stay local.
    4. Reese’s Peanut Butter eggs. Yum. 🙂

A ton of people here do outdoor! We thought about it, since we got married in March, but decided on indoor instead which worked out better (it was still a beautiful day).

I do agree on tanning beds looking sorta like caskets. They always freaked me out a little bit like that, scared I’d get stuck in one and it would be like a scene from a really bad horror movie!

6. chasingthekenyans says:

Happy belated Easter! I love that you did Easter baskets for each other. I would love to get a Mani/pedi GC. Though I did just take myself anyway, haha.

I used to go to tanning beds in college but I do NOT now. I kind of avoid laying out too… Just not worth it to me at all. I love the beach though.

M&M’s, always and forever!!

I haven’t been in awhile, but I’m looking forward to going to the spa, when I go. I’m trying to save it to closer to summer and maybe after I do a few races but my feet certainly need it NOW. Pretty sure my hubs (oops, I mean, the Easter Bunny) saw my nasty feet with me wearing flip flops so much lately and decided I needed it :).

7. Tiffany G. says:

^echoing this. i just treated myself mani for my bday sans gift card tho lol. i dont care for peeps but that picture made me lol. i do ❤ star burst jelly beans tho (and reeses are always awesome). Pass my congrats to clay for the honor society induction. thanks so much for coming to dinner i had a good night with having dinner with you all 🙂 ❤ Good luck in the upcoming race (that head band is cute 🙂 )

I don’t like Peeps either. I have never thought they tasted good, and my grandma loved them but they remind me of her so I don’t like to eat them much. And we both know how I am about eating food with faces, right?

Yeah dinner was super fun! We gotta do it again sometime, but maybe somewhere different… and hopefully fewer mishaps.

8. Pingback: It’s Okay Thursday- April 12 |

9. You had a very eventful weekend! I used to go to my grandmas house, but not anymore since she has passed away. Now we try to spend time with my parents! NO Tanning beds for me at all! I can not stand them! My friend used to tan with them everyday and she did not look very good at all, almost unhealthy! My favorite easter candy is the recess peanut butter eggs and cadbury eggs. YUMMMMMM!!!

10. shannonjoe says:

Seeing as I will be the new track coach next year at my school and have never coached track or watched it, I am hoping to read future posts from you about this subject! 🙂 I just started running back in January with the Couch25k program and am loving it! 🙂

Here’s to future knowledge!

Shannon

Thanks for the response! I don’t know much about coaching track either, honestly, but I work with an awesome lady who coaches and I more or less help her, so I’m learning a lot too! I knew next to nothing when I started (more experienced in cross country personally).

I have a few blog posts about coaching, but more will be coming soon based on my experiences!