Friends, Froyo, Freaking out over snakes, and Five Question Friday

Hey guys! I hope you’ve all had a great week so far.

One of my articles got published in the ACS Technologies E-News this week. It’s about creating an e-mail newsletter for your church. It might not be that interesting to the blogger crowd, but I really hope it warms the heart of a church secretary or administrator somewhere. Shameless self promotion, guys.

Besides I missed work on Wednesday due to crappy sleep/anxiety issues, but things seem to have worked themselves out now- rest does a body good. I’m thankful my job gives things like sick time so that I don’t feel guilty about taking a day off when my body and emotions need it. My last job didn’t give sick time, so people usually went to work sick (The last place I worked, I actually worked for two days with the flu until I threw up at the job and they forced me to go home).

I caught up on rest and felt MUCH better on Thursday. I slept in, took a very nice bath with my girly Victoria’s Secret body wash products, and ate frozen yogurt.

I heard some rumors that a frozen yogurt pay-per-ounce chain called SweetFrog is going to open in my town this summer so I’m really hoping that’s true and excited if it is true (I’ll be super disappointed if it doesn’t happen, and I don’t believe *any* rumors around here until the rumored business actually opens). I would really love that- SweetFrog is good!

Thursday, my new-ish friend Shayna and I went to lunch at Red Bowl Asian Bistro. It’s a new restaurant here in town and we both really liked it (she’s eaten at the one in Columbia before, but this was my first time). I had the pineapple shrimp, brown rice, and spring roll, and she had the curry tofu, fried rice, and spring roll. Red Bowl has a HUGE menu for lunch and they’ll customize your dish for you.

Shayna and I had a really great time chatting and hanging out, too. We met at a Young Professionals of Florence social last month and we have a lot in common- it’s nice to meet new people!

I also went running with our little Thursday afternoon ACSers and friends running group. None of us have a GPS/Heart Rate monitor watch, but I think if we did you’d see a HUGE spike at the beginning, because Nick and Elizabeth saw a black snake maybe 10 feet into our three mile run.

Not sure what kind of snake it was (obviously NOT a paper chain snake), but Florence is in the middle of a swamp so we weren’t too surprised.

Now, here’s Five Question Friday.

Five Question FridayFive Question Friday

1. Will you run to the store or to pick up a kid looking a mess?

If I *ran* to the store, I’d look a mess from running there (yeah, I had to read this question twice to get it). I don’t really mind going to the store in my pajamas or even after I leave the gym. I’m pretty small and I look young enough to pull the college kid card.

Obviously once I have kids, I’ll no longer look super young, so I may have to put on makeup or real girl clothes to pick them up, at least if I have to go inside a building. I was in band as a kid, and my mom frequently had to pick me up from late-night competition bus rides, so I really don’t blame her for wearing pajamas at 1 AM on Sunday morning.

2. Do you finish a book if it’s boring or you don’t like it?

I really don’t read much, but usually I figure out pretty quickly into a book if I’m going to like it or not. If not, I don’t finish it- I’m not in school anymore and no one’s making me read, so why waste time doing something I’m not enjoying?

3. Beach or mountain vacations?

Cruise vacations. I guess that qualifies as beach, but with cruises, I get to see 3-4 beaches (pretty beaches at that!) per trip instead of just one. I’d take a cruise over a mountain vacation, but I’d take a mountain vacation over a trip to Myrtle Beach.

To be nostalgic, here are some vacation pictures for you:

4. What thing/event says “winter will end and spring is right around the corner” to you?

What winter? We’re talking about South Carolina here. I still have tan lines from last Spring/Summer.

We didn’t have much of a winter this year, but a few things remind me of Spring. The time change- since the days are longer. Spring break, since it brings back memories of high school and college. Also, we have some seasonal ice cream shops and Hawaiian ice stands that open only when the weather is warm- it’s a sign of Spring when places that close for the winter begin reopening.

5. Would you prefer couples or family vacation?

I took family vacations growing up. I learned a lot travelling from historical attraction to historical attraction with my dad- I know how to read maps, I know a lot about travelling, and I probably should know a lot about the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. It was fun, but I was always sleep deprived when it was over because of how badly he snores.

Now, my parents are retired so they can just go places together- and they travel a ton. Can I just retire already?

My husband is my family now, and I don’t really care to do a big group family vacation. One of my friends’ families goes to a beach house in the Outer Banks for a week every year- the whole extended family and everything. More power to those families who can, but some of my family members would most likely go Jersey Shore and after a week, we’d all be signing divorce papers and arguing over who’d pay for damages to the house.

Once Clay and I have kids (someday), we plan to keep vacations couples only for awhile too. We don’t want to take kids to Disney or on a cruise until they’re at least old enough to understand and remember it. Why would they want to see scary cartoon characters anyway- they’ll have grandparents!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and a great St. Pat’s!

This entry was posted in Five Question Friday and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Friends, Froyo, Freaking out over snakes, and Five Question Friday

1. Kara says:

Hope you are feeling better!!

I allllways go to the store looking like a mess! Haha. When I actually wear real clothes I don’t think the employees even recognize me (I go a lot). And I don’t even have kids! Yikes.

I’ve never been on a cruise but I want to! I think I’d rather go to the beach but I’ve had some amazing mountain vacations too…but overall, I’m a sunshine-y beachy gal!

And I’m never taking young kids on vacation when I have them. Have you seen people with kids trying to travel? It looks brutal. They can wait til they are like 12 haha

Yeah, kids definitely shouldn’t vacation until they’re old enough to “get it”. Also cruises have kid’s clubs so I’m pretty sure that’s what we’ll be doing. We can leave them there for alone time. I’m actually jealous of the kids on cruises because I would’ve loved those kids club’s growing up! But we still have a few years of vacationing by ourselves anyway- no kids anytime soon!

2. I think it’s so cool that your article was published! It’s always nice to see your name in print. When I was on the yearbook staff in high school, my dad would always buy a yearbook just for himself because he wanted to read the stories that I wrote. So I think it’s great getting some recognition for writing things!

It is! I’ve been writing for years and having stuff published, but it never gets old seeing other people read something you wrote, and seeing it help them or somehow affect them. Hopefully someone takes the article to heart and uses it to improve a newsletter :).

3. Shayna says:

Lunch was wonderful!!!! Next time….Indian 😀 Have a great weekend!

4. I am glad you are starting to feel better Amy! And that is nice your work let you take a bit of time off… not throwing up at work please, that is no fun for your lovely self! Or anyone else haha
    Awesome job on your article being published as well! How exciting 🙂
    Oh and I read quite often but will not finish a book if I think it’s boring…like you said, no one is forcing you too and we are not in school anymore soooo… nope won’t do it!
    I hope you are having a nice weekend 😀

Well, you’re almost not in school anymore, that is :). Only a few more weeks for you and my husband until graduation.

Yeah, if I came to work sick, my job would send me home. I work with a lot of parental figures, haha.

5. Cori Howell says:

I’m glad you were able to take the day off to rest and recharge. I find myself having to do that sometimes too. Our vacation and sick days are all rolled into one, so I really don’t like to use my days unless I’m really sick or if I feel that I won’t be productive at all. I’m excited to hit the 5 year mark in September, so I can gain more vacation/sick days! I’ve heard of Sweet Frog, but we don’t have one around here. I love any kind of Fro-Yo though. I still want to try the new Fro-Yo at Cold Stone. Red Bowl sounds like a restaurant that I’d really like! Hope you’ve had a great weekend!

Yeah, the combined vacation/sick was one of the reasons I always worked when sick at my last job- that combined with how even if you were sick, unless you had one foot in the grave, you could have still come to work, in their mindset…. anyway.

I haven’t had the Cold Stone FroYo yet. I’ve just been buying the cartons at the store. I had a buy one get one free coupon for Cold Stone, but that involves dragging someone with me or getting two.

6. CubicleViews says:

5 questions…5 answers.
    #1 – No problem whatsoever. Did both today!
    #2 – Generally no, but if it was a top seller than probably.
    #3 – Mountains are my preference, but beach is close second.
    #4 – Daylight savings time. Love when it stays light late.
    #5 – Tough call. Gonna say it’s a push.

7. Rebecca says:

Hehe. I smiled and laughed when I saw the snake and how you said that it’s obviously not a paper chain snake. Haha! Well, I hope it’s not poisonous, and I hope it won’t give me papercuts. ahhhhhh!

I’ve enjoyed reading about the new restaurants you’ve been trying. And that ice cream looks great! Yeah, rumors actually draw me towards somewhere. When someone gets mad at me for trying something that has a bad reputation, I’m usually like, “well, sorry, but don’t plant the idea in my head.” 😉

Aww, I still hope to go on a cruise someday, even though my biggest dream right now is to go out west. 🙂

Happy Monday!