Valentine’s Day and Shameless Self-Care

Happy Friday, Y’all.

I’ve had a good week, but it’s only been slightly blogworthy. Work is still a little slower, which is *really* nice because I was a crazy overtime-working chicka for about 3 months, so I deserve the slowdown. This means I get lots of social time with my coworkers, and I’m also going out to lunch occasionally and things like that. On Tuesday (Valentine’s Day), I took a long lunch with a bunch of other ladies, and we went to Local’s Grill to spend time together and so I could work on a special project (more to come on that in a future post 🙂 ).

And of course, Clay and I celebrated Valentine’s Day, which for us consisted of a chocolate pudding pie and two cards. Clay hates holidays like this because he says they only serve to keep greeting card companies in business, but I made him a pie anyway and put those conversation hearts on it.

I also went for a 7-mile run after work- my first longer run since the Miles for Missions 12K. Fun times!

On Wednesday, I worked a half day and left to go to the doctor. For those of you who don’t know, I had severe anemia back in the Spring of 2010 and my hemoglobin got *really* low (as in, blood transfusion low). I’m on high-powered iron supplements and have normal blood counts now, but I have to go to the doctor every few months to get it checked. The doc checked out my hip too, because it’s been hurting since I increased my mileage to train for the 12K. I can obviously run, but sometimes it hurts when I get out of the car or up from a chair. We’re hoping it goes away when I back off of my mileage some (I’m *especially* hoping that it does). My doctor knows I run and race and always asks me about it, which is pretty cool.

Unfortunately, I ended up staying at the doctor’s office for two hours to have him look at my hip and get a little blood taken. Since it was later, I went by the local cosmetology school for an eyebrow wax, and I started talking to the student waxing my brows and we had a nice little conversation. Well, I saw a sign with the other services on it (I normally *just* get my brows waxed because I figure that’s something I’m comfortable with a student doing), and spontaneously decided to get a facial.

Yes, that’s me after the facial. Makeup free- I’m not ashamed!

I’m usually not a spontaneous person and don’t do a lot of things for myself, so getting a facial out of the blue was actually a big step for me. Both the facial and the eyebrow wax together were less than $20 but made me feel and look like a million bucks. Beauty school facials (they were well supervised by instructors) are the way to go if you’re looking for an inexpensive way to treat yourself- and who doesn’t need a treat sometimes?

I also baked some amazing chocolate and white chocolate chip muffins when I got home Wednesday afternoon… so delish, and made with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt (instead of oil, yuck!). I definitely enjoyed a couple of these, still warm from the oven. They’re another variation of Amish Friendship Bread, so I’m waiting on one of my friends to give me another starter so I can make them again.

Then on Thursday, my parents took me out to Cici’s Pizza, and it was fun spending time with them because I don’t get to see my parents that often. One thing about growing up and going out on your own- when you only see your parents every few weeks, they’re MUCH easier to get along with :).

So… that’s my week in a nutshell. Tonight, we’re going out to dinner with Clay’s parents, and tomorrow, I’m meeting up with Tiffany to go to Homecoming out at Francis Marion. I’m sure we’ll have fun times reliving our college days and hanging out.

Hope you guys have a great weekend too!

Q1.) Have you ever had a facial? Of course :). But, I’ve had them before this week too. I’ll have to say this was definitely the least amount of money I’ve ever spent on one, and with how my skin looks, I’m pretty sure I’ll be going back every few months.

Q2.) Have you ever used a beauty school or student-run service? What did you think? I almost always go to beauty schools for eyebrow waxes and things like that, and I let my cousin cut my hair once when he was going to school for that. I don’t really mind students doing things as long as they’re well supervised. I was a student once and had to learn somehow- even if mine was interning in a Public Relations office rather than cutting hair, waxing brows, or doing facials.

Q3.) Did you do anything special for Valentine’s/Singles Awareness Day? If so, what? Besides making the pie, nope… maybe we’ll go out this weekend sometime.

Q4.) Do you see your parents or hang out with them much? I know a few of my readers still live with their parents, so I guess this is a moot point for them. I see mine maybe once or twice a month now, but we make the most of it when we do see each other.

This entry was posted in Anemia, Holidays and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Valentine’s Day and Shameless Self-Care

1. allieksmith says:

Happy Friday Amy! I’ve never had a facial but I have always wanted one. What a good idea to go to a beauty school since they do everything a lot cheaper there! You are one smart cookie 🙂

The beauty school is a good idea, especially if you have a reputable one in your area. The students have to know how to do the procedures before they can even practice on clients, so you do end up with someone who’s trained, even if they’re not licensed yet.

To me the students are more careful than people who already work in salons.

2. Happy Friday girl! I have actually never had a facial before and never even thought to go to a beauty school-you are full of fabulous ideas.

I love hanging out with my parents-when I’m not at school I think I’m forever hanging out with them. One day-I’ll grow up and have to “fly the coop”

Haha, it is nice to be independent and on your own, I’ll give it that :). I didn’t feel like an adult when I lived with my parents, even though I was supporting myself (I lived with them for about 3-4 months after college even though I was working full time).

3. Lindsay says:

Now that song is stuck in my head!! :-/ lol

I kind of think v-day is dumb BUT I do think it’s good to recognize those who love you and care for you. Josh and I made cards this year so we didn’t contribute to Hallmarks profits. 🙂

I’ve only heard that song a few times and haven’t heard it in forever! But when I searched for Friday in Pinterest (where I get most of my cool images from these days), this was the only thing that came up that wasn’t dealing with a Friday workout (days of the week workouts, what??).

That’s really sweet that you made your cards to each other :). I’m sure it means a lot more too!

4. Rebecca says:

Q1.) Have you ever had a facial?
    Not a professional one. Just those cheap do-it-yourself ones from Wal-Mart. But I would like to get a facial someday! 😀

Back in 10th grade, they took the entire class to the career center for the day (our last “official” field trip in school), and I chose cosmetology for one of the three fields I wanted to see. And I got my hair done for free. It was fun! And I just got an updo, or one of those “prom hairstyles,” and I thought the guy did very well — especially since I remember him telling me it was his first year in cosmetology! It was one of my favorite hairdo’s ever… and I had even told him to make it up as he went along. Too bad I didn’t get any pictures. 😦
    As far as eyebrows, I pluck them. Mwuahaha.

Well, thanks for reminding/making me aware that I’m single! 😉
    Actually, I was really busy on Valentine’s Day. Laundry all morning. Grocery shopping in the noontime. Work in the evening. I was thankful to have a full plate that day… because I’m not really a fan of V-day at this point in my life.

Q4.) Do you see your parents or hang out with them much?
    Well, I do… but I do only live about 35 minutes from them. Only a county line divides us. And sometimes now. Hehe. I drop by the house every now and then, or we’ll go out to eat, plan to watch a movie, etc.

Happy Friday, Amy! Enjoy your weekend. 🙂 🙂

I’ve plucked before (and I still do, when a loose brow just needs it), but waxing is so much easier- it’s less painful to me, anyway. You should totally get a professional facial, I think you’d love it. I’ve never had a do-it-yourself facial but I’m not good at doing-it-myself so I think I’ll just splurge at the beauty school and get them to do it :).

As far as being single goes, it’s better to be single than with a guy who doesn’t complete you- believe me, I know.

• Rebecca says:

Yes, unfortunately, throughout the past few years, I was foolish and I had given myself and poured my soul to guys who have emptied me instead of making me complete. So, I guess being single and not “looking” for him is the best path right now.

As far as they DIY facials, they’re those “masks” that you put on for 10 minutes and wash off. Lame, I know. Hehe. But they do feel nice after you rinse them off. 🙂

Yeah. I think i’d like a facial. The trouble is though… when I have that extra cash, I go out to eat, go to arcades, and drive around different parts of Ohio. Well, at least I’m having some sort of fun and spoiling myself some way though. 🙂

5. Cori says:

I love how you put the conversation hearts on the pie! Very cute idea! I also like the card you gave him! Those muffins look very yummy. That’s cool that you went to eat with your parents. I love having my mom live with me. Neither one of us wanted to live alone since we’re both single (or at least unmarried) gals! We have the best time! Hope you have a great weekend! Have fun at Homecoming and going out with Clay!

Yeah, my mom has my dad around, and they do a lot together, but I’m pretty sure if he wasn’t around, we would do more things together and she’d be around here more.

The muffins were delish! I shared with my coworkers and they loved them. I also shared with my in laws… it made a lot of muffins!

I’ll have another blog about homecoming soon!

6. I feel the same way about my parents now–I only see them on breaks from school and maybe two weekends per month so it’s a lot easier to get along with them and have a good time when I know I won’t be seeing them for another two weeks. It was definitely hard to transition to that, but I think I appreciate them more now than I did when I was living with them every day…especially because they buy me all the groceries I want haha!

Haha, I wish mine still bought me groceries! They did that some when I was in college though, I always loved it :). Sometimes they do take me out to eat now, which is pretty nice. We definitely make the most of our time now!

7. Pingback: A Weekend of Celebrations- Homecoming, Valentine’s, and my first Mardi Gras! |