Five Question Friday and Celebrating Good Times

Five Question FridayFive Question FridayHey guys! It’s time for Five Question Friday!

I’ve had another busy week here at work (what’s new?) and also with coaching cross country, FMU alumni networking events, and taking down an evil sinus infection that hit me Tuesday night. Fortunately, I feel much better now, which is a good thing because I have an anniversary luncheon at work today and it’s Halloweekend!

Before I get into Five Question Friday, I’ll talk about my job and the perks of it. This month, I celebrated three years working with ACS Technologies, where I’m a Technical Writer (this means I write training and procedural manuals). I know three years isn’t a long time to stay at a job, and we have many people here at ACS who’ve been here 20 years or more, but when you’re 26 and have only been out of college for a little over four years, three years at a job is a pretty long time.

Each year when you celebrate your employment anniversary, the company treats you to a lunch at the Florence Country Club, and you get a restaurant gift card AND a longevity bonus. Pretty sweet, huh? So I’m glad I’m feeling better so that I can enjoy all of that today!

1. Do you prefer cotton, silk, or flannel sheets?

I prefer cotton sheets and my amazing flannel pajamas :). Unless it’s winter, when I wear fleece pajama pants and random long-sleeved t-shirts. I’m also fond of electric blankets and think they’re the best invention ever.

2. What time zone are you in?

Eastern! So I don’t have to do the math when TV show times are announced :).

3. What is your favorite part of the holiday season?

This is my first holiday season with my husband, and I can’t wait to experience my first Christmas as a married lady. We moved in together in December of last year, and we got married in March, so technically last year was our first holiday season in the same house. I really love decorating and pulling out our Christmas ornaments, most of which have stories behind them and were made by members of our families or hold special memories to me from being a kid.

We also like watching holiday specials on TV together. Wednesday night, since I was recovering from the evil sinus infection, we laid around the house and watched National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation!

4. What is your favorite “wintry” drink? (It doesn’t have to be an “alcoholic” drink!)

I rarely drink alcohol (I can count the number of beverages I’ve had in the past year on one hand), but I really like the pumpkin spice lattes at Dunkin Donuts. Now that I’m the proud owner of a keurig, I bought a Fall Variety Pack of K-Cups so that I can make pumpkin spice coffee at home, and I have pumpkin spice creamer for it! I know this is more of a Fall drink than a wintry drink, but I’m sure I’ll buy the winter seasonal K-cups when they come out next month.

5. In your opinion, what is the worst job in the world?

The worst job in the world is any job with a company that does not value its employees. I have “been there, done that” with my last job, and it doesn’t matter how much you get paid, how often the company feeds you lunch, how many vacation days you get, or how much free candy you get- if you’re not appreciated, you won’t be happy at work. The worst thing is when the job consumes your life to the point that you can’t even take a vacation without worrying about your job and how much work you’ll have to do when you get back (fortunately, I haven’t ever experienced that here! It’s nice to have coworkers who have your back, especially when you’re like me and love your vacations).

I think it takes having a crappy job to really appreciate a good job. I know that thinking back about my experiences at my previous company makes me appreciate my current job that much more!

This entry was posted in Five Question Friday. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Five Question Friday and Celebrating Good Times

1. Tiffany says:

you coach cross county? wow how cool!
    the pumpkin spice latte sounds tasty…i dont think i ever tried drinks at dunkin (evn when i was in columbia for 3 years..i need to do better)
    happy 3rd anniversary at work 🙂 I reached my 1st year mark in an unofficial capacity end of aug this year, and I will reach it in an official capacity end of next month (pre and post attorney status). Don’t think I will be here 3 years but who knows…

Yes! Just started a few weeks ago. I am a volunteer coach with the Florence Track Club. I don’t have any sort of certifications or anything like that, but they needed adult runners to come run with the kids and cheer them on/motivate, so that’s what I do. It’s pretty fun and a great way to be involved in the community.

Don’t worry about the time you’re at your job. Sometimes jobs aren’t meant to be forever or for a long time they are meant to be stepping stones :). That’s how I think of my last job- it was a stepping stone to get experience to get on here!

And come to Florence so we can try Dunkin! Or either you can try out my Keurig!

2. allieksmith says:

Heating blankets ARE the best invention ever! Love em!

Also.. Dunkin Donuts is pretty spectacular 🙂

3. Dunkin donuts pumpkin spice lattes are SO GOOD! I know everyone raves about them from starbucks but I prefer dunks! I just like there coffee more and it’s cheaper… win win!

4. ladycoop says:

I love PSL! No Dunkin Doughnuts here, so I have to settle for Starbucks. LOL

We just got our Dunkin a few months ago :). It came in the summer. Before that it was just Starbucks, I’m glad to have a Dunkin so there’s something different!

5. lindsay says:

what great little perk to your job! my company just does milestones for longevity – 1 yr, 5 yr, 10 yr… we get to order something lame from a catalog. and you can wear jeans!! ahh i am jealous.

i’m cotton sheets – flannel pj’s (in the winter of course)

Oh wow… we get to wear jeans every day…

My last job did that for my one year anniversary. I got a lame catalog gift. I don’t know what they did for other anniversaries because fortunately I only had to celebrate ONE year there!

6. Pee Dee Foodie says:

Congratulations to you on your anniversary. I hear great stuff about ACS from my friend Garin. Lots of talented people there, you included. Very happy you’re a fellow Florentine blogger. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! Yep Garin was at our dinner yesterday, he is celebrating one year there and had lots of great comments :). It’s pretty much the best employer in the Pee Dee!

Keep up your hard work with the restaurant news too!

7. Rebecca says:

I wish I would’ve done this Five Question Friday. Hehe. 🙂

I’ve never… slept with an electric blanket. I know they’ve been around forever, but I’ve never had one. Heh, every year I’m always undecided on what I want for Christmas. Maybe this year, I will ask for one. 😉

We have a pumpkin spice latte at work. Its ok. I’m not really into pumpkin though. We’ve been selling pumpkin spice lattes a lot this week. Hehe.

Christmas, yay. 🙂

And yes, I do agree with the valuing employees perspective. The ther day, I was asked to work 10 hours, and Panera bought me lunch. I thought that meant a lot. Because I was really tired that day, and I gave them my time, and they gave me lunch. Which is good. Hehe.

Thanks for the feedback in my blog. I replied back. 🙂

Have a good Satuday!

Some people just don’t like electric blankets and can’t sleep with them.

Not surprised you guys have sold so many pumpkin spice lattes! They are definitely popular this time of year, we don’t have panera here but I know Dunkin and Starbucks sell a lot. I wish we had a Panera.

It’s great that your job bought you lunch for working a 10 hour day. Little things like that really do mean a lot in terms of keeping employees happy. After all, you guys can’t really keep customers happy if you’re not happy, right?

And I replied back to your blog comment! Wish blogspot had thread replies like WordPress does, though.