Five Question Friday: Of Calcium, Class Rings, and College Days

Five Question FridayFive Question FridayHappy Friday guys! The past week has been pretty… crazy.

After my doctor’s appointment last week, I found out my calcium levels are low. I get bloodwork done every 6 months because of anemia, so they’re not incredibly low, but osteoporosis runs in my family (my mommy has gotten shorter) so I’m going to be especially careful about taking calcium supplements from now on. I bought Adora Dark Chocolate supplements so I can get my calcium every day after lunch when I have my little post-lunch chocolate! I really recommend them if you want a calcium supplement that’s not chalky or gross.

Calcium Chocolates!

I don’t have bone loss and everything should be okay, but taking care of your bones is important as you get older, especially for female athletes. After all, if I don’t take care of my bones, I won’t be running 5Ks when I’m a grandma like my friend Susan.

Aside from that, I’ve been recovering from slogging through the muddy trails on Saturday and rewriting massive amounts of financial accounting documentation. But, I definitely made time for National Coffee Day on Thursday with a White Mocha from a local coffee shop called Bean Groovy! Love some coffee!

Here’s Five Question Friday!

1. Do you apologize to your kids if you’re wrong?

I don’t have kids, but if I did, I would definitely apologize to them if I’m wrong. Like Becca, I’m a chronic apologizer. I hope one day I’m secure enough to think “Sorry I’m Not Sorry”, but we’ll see…

2. Do you have a class ring, Letterman’s jacket, or similar obscenely priced high school “must have”?

Yes, I own both! They’re both at my parents’ house and they’re both ridiculously too big now. Not that I’d ever wear either again. Looking back, I really wish I hadn’t bought either thing, and that’s one piece of helpful advice I’d give to anyone in high school. Letterman jackets are a good investment if you buy one your freshman year of high school, because you can wear it all 4 years, but no one wears them after high school. It’s kind of embarrassing to walk onto your college campus wearing something that screams FRESHMAN.

3. If you could be one age for the rest of your life, what age would you choose?

Probably 21. Here’s a pic of me on my 21st!

Me with my Mudslide.

And here’s a pic of me with my “future” husband :). Of course I didn’t know that then!

At the SAA Dinner

Finally, here’s one of Jenn and I on our Honors College trip to DC.

Jenn and Amy in DC

4. What is your favorite (unused) baby name?

Having kids is still a few years off for me so I really haven’t thought of baby names yet. We may go with something that includes a family name.

5. If you could make your child like something what would it be?

Like I said, having kids is still a few years off for me, but Clay and I have actually discussed this.

First, we hope our kids want to be active. Both of us like computers and reading, and Clay loves video games, but we both live extremely active lifestyles. Even if our kids aren’t into organized sports (I wasn’t, he was), we hope they like riding bikes and playing and being outside like we did as kids.

Biking through Walmart

Wait, I was 21 then… my bad, not a kid!

Second, we hope to raise our kids to have open minds about things like foods and other cultures. Both of us love ethnic foods and probably eat those more often than American food when we go out. Yes, our kids will be offered sushi and tofu and lots of vegetables. And even though I’m vegetarian and Clay’s not, I have absolutely no qualms if my kids are meat-eaters.

Oh, and hopefully our future children will be Gamecock fans :). Some major redecoration will have to go on in our house if they decide to go to Clemson!

This entry was posted in Five Question Friday, FMU, Memories. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Five Question Friday: Of Calcium, Class Rings, and College Days

1. Rebecca says:

Aww. You linked to my blog. Thanks!! 😀

Haha… have you ever apologized for apologizing? I have! And like I mentioned in my blog, I hope to get out of the habit of over-apologizing.

21 actually wasn’t a good year for me. I had to go to the hospital on my birthday, I was in a bad relationship, and I had a chronic yeast infection. But… some good things happened that year. I transferred to MVNU, I finally broke up with “him,” and I learned the art of starting over. Just wish the first the first six months would’ve been better. 😉

That’s a good wish to have for your children. 🙂

2. Rebecca says:

And… I hope your calcium deficiency improves. 😦

Thanks. I called the doctor’s office, and my levels are 8.5. 8.7 is normal. But, it was 9.0 back in March, so it’s definitely dropped. I’m trying to eat foods with calcium in them too, but those chocolates are really great. They seriously taste just like candy.

3. Lisa says:

I came from FQF. I like all your answers. Good advice.

4. lindsay says:

lol, at least you sound a teeny bit open to your future kids going to clemson. i’ll have to do some recruiting! 😉

i love that you found chocolate calcium supplements. i hope it helps get your levels back to normal. and i was thinking the same thing recently about high school letter jackets and rings… i wish i hadn’t gotten the ring, but i don’t regret the letter jacket. i do wish i could do something with it now instead of leave it in a closet (somewhere back at my parents). i’m not sure where my ring is. i didn’t get a college ring because i thought i might not want it after a few years like high school but now i am thinking i kinda want one! did you get a college ring?

I didn’t get a college ring, although I know a few people who did get them and still wear them several years later. I think if you like school rings, a college one really is a better investment than high school. Graduating from high school is something that most people do now, graduating from college is definitely more of an accomplishment to celebrate, and it’s weird because it seems like it’s celebrated a LOT LESS.

I’m totally fine with Clemson as a university- I think it’s a great school. It’s definitely the place to go for engineering, agriculture, and a lot of other majors. I don’t ever wish for Clemson to lose (well, except that last game in November 😉 ), but Clay and I really hate the color orange!

5. 21 is a nice age but I think 25 would be the best (granted I’m not there yet). But with 25, you are a pretty settled in life, and can rent cars freely. Seems optimal…;)

Haha I’m 25 and it hasn’t been a bad year at all. But for a lot of people, 25 is a far cry from being settled in life (not so much with me, but I know others who definitely aren’t).

You can rent a car at 21. It just costs more money. Clay and a friend went to Vegas a few years ago and they were able to rent a car. It may not be with every company, either.

6. I agree with Holly… I have always thought 25 would be a great age to stick at haha
    And I am sorry to hear about your calcium troubles, I hope they improve Lauren!

7. Love your Q&A! I especially think introducing your kids to different things is so important to them being open and flexible about life as they grow! (((hugs)))

8. I’m sorry I haven’t written, or replied in so long! =/ But I must say those calcium supplements look YUMMY! =)
    Here’ s the answers to your questions for Five Question Friday =) (Gosh… I really should start doing these shouldn’t I??? Where do you guys find the questions at?)

1) Do you apologize to your kids if you’re wrong?
    – Well I’m not in that stage right now, where I have to apologize if I’m wrong, however; when does come up, I will apologize if I’m wrong, because I believe that my children should have instilled in them what is right and wrong, and to recognize that they’re wrong. I don’t believe in saying you’re right when you know you’re not.

2)Do you have a class ring, Letterman’s jacket, or similar obscenely priced high school “must have”?
    – I do have a class ring, and I have a Letter for a letterman’s jacket (but I never could afford the jacket). My class ring has my birthstone for december, has 06 on one side and music on the other with two diamonds in the middle of the center of the ring.

3)If you could be one age for the rest of your life, what age would you choose?
    -The age I am now. 23. I believe that this has been an amazing year. I got a new job, my son turned 1, and my third wedding anniversary is coming up.

4)What is your favorite (unused) baby name?
    – Well seeings as my son already has one of my faves (Christopher Michael) I’ll tell you what I would like to name another son we may have and possibly two more girls (yes I do a lot of planning… just not enough planning to know whether I’ll be pregnant and when haha)
    1) Johnathon William (for another boy)
    2) Melody Rose (for a girl)
    3) Harmony Faith (for a girl)

5)If you could make your child like something what would it be?
    – I have come to learn to never make my child like something if he/she doesn’t want to like something because it’s just going to make them rebel. I got lucky with my son Christopher because he loves most fruits, and he loves his veggies (in fact he’d rather eat those than actual meat– so who knows Amy I may have a vegetarian on my hands =) ) And if he doesn’t like a certain toy, I don’t press him to keep playing with it… he may come back to it later on. If he doesn’t like getting held– then we put him down and let him explore. We let him make the decisions. We’re not letting him over-run us (he knows the words no, I don’t think so, and get your ass back here VERY well), but we’re not saying “no” to the fact that he wants to be independent.

I hope you like what you read =)
    Have a good day!!!!

-Mel

You can find the questions at fivecrookedhalos.blogspot.com. They post them on Thursday night so you have time to write them for Friday :).

Oh and I love your proposed baby names :).

9. Allie says:

I loved reading these questions and learning more about you!