Your Questions Answered (Part 1)

Thanks to Ash, Lindsey, and Haley who responded to my Q&A post! Today I’m going to pick some questions to answer.

When did you become a vegetarian and what are some of your staple foods as a vegetarian?

I’ve been a vegetarian since my junior year of college. I was never one to eat meat every single day, making it a lot easier to eliminate it from my diet. When I ate meat, I didn’t like meat on the bones (I guess it reminded me that it was once alive?), and I usually doused it in hot sauce or ate it on a sandwich with a lot of veggies anyway.

Occasionally I try some meat just to make sure I still don’t like it and want to remain a vegetarian (so far I haven’t). I don’t like the taste of meat, and I can’t ever see myself eating meat every day even if I do “cross over” to the omnivore side.

Lisa Simpson, you are my idol in cartoon form.

As far as what I eat… I like spinach quesadillas a lot, especially when Clay makes them. We also eat a lot of spaghetti (with tons of veggies like spinach, squash, zucchini, etc). And, I love peanut butter and almond butter! My favorite peanut butters are the Peanut Butter and Company Cinnamon Raisin Swirl and White Chocolate Wonderful.

Why yes, I double fist peanut butter.

I also eat a ton of fruits and veggies (obviously) and dishes made with them, lots of cereal, oatmeal, and ice cream, and I love the hoagies at Mellow Mushroom and the Mexican food at Las Palmitas.

What is one of your dream/bucket-list races?

Last year, I read an article about a cruise that offered a race in one of the ports as a part of the cruise (you ran with celebrities and I think the CEO of the cruise line). I think it was in St. Maarten. I would love to do that, or one of the Rock and Roll half marathons.

Who cooks more – you or Clay? What’s your favorite thing he cooks/bakes?

Clay cooks more and I bake more. I really like to bake banana breads :). My favorite thing he cooks is stuffed pasta shells and Greek salad with his homemade dressing. That’s what he cooked for me the first time he ever cooked for me and on the night he proposed. The meal has a sentimental meaning and takes a long time to make, so he doesn’t make it often, but I still love it because it takes me back to those special times.

January 2011- Seafood Linguini

What got you into running, and what is your favorite thing about it?

I got into running the summer before my senior year of college (2006) because I worked a desk job and was tired of sitting around all day then going home and sitting around more. I also wanted to relieve stress. Needless to say, running has helped me do both of those things, but my favorite thing is all the friends I’ve made running. It’s really neat to go to races and see your friends, hang out, and run together.

Sure, there are placements and awards, but it’s really a friendly environment and I like that. Running also empowers other people and teaches us all that we can do things we never thought were possible. It pushes our limits and I like that.

Oldest thing you own (that’s always been yours, not given to you from a family member)?

I still have a computer from the previous decade. Does that count?

computer

It still boots and everything...

Don’t worry, it’s no longer in use :).

What is a bad habit of yours?

I’m cluttered, and I wish I was more organized. I also have a tendency to lose things underneath the seats of my car or my desk at work. Yeah, I once found a bottle of gatorade that had some sort of science experiment growing in it when cleaning out my car- yuck. None of you will want to ride in my car now, but I promise I try to keep it cleaned out!

This entry was posted in Randomness. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Your Questions Answered (Part 1)

1. Rebecca says:

Well, I hope it doesn’t gross you out with the fact that I just ate a ham/cheese sandwich within the past hour. I love meat! Not all meats. There are rather repulsive meats out there, and some meats I can’t eat anymore because they’re too greasy (pepperoni, sausages, etc.) unless it’s in extreme moderation.

I think that’s cool that you’re a vegetarian, even though I know I couldn’t do it for the rest of my life. But meat does some good things for you. I like it when my mom cooks salmon, especially when my knees are hurting because there’s something in the salmon that helps the knee pain. I think it’s Omega 3. Meat has also been my main source of protein and iron. When I donate blood, I *try* (but do fail sometimes!) to eat a lot of meat at least 2 days before donating. Because my iron increases when I eat meat. 🙂

I have a friend who has been a vegetarian her whole life, and she said she’s looking for another veg. to be her husband. I don’t blame her! It’ll be easier on cooking, planning, etc. if she finds someone on her path. Of course, I feel the same with alcohol. I don’t want to drink, and my prayer is to find someone who will abstain from alcohol. I’ve dated guys who drink or who want to drink from time to time, and obviously, it didn’t work out with them (well, there were other reasons, too).

ANYWAYS… I’m back from that rather long tangent. That’s awesome about your running. Hehe. I’m a walker with the *little* bit of running here and there. I still would like to run a mile without stopping. That’s a mountain for me to work on. But it’s only an ant hill for you! 🙂 Congrats on all your races and for keeping up with it. 🙂

It definitely doesn’t gross me out that others eat meat. People ask me that, as if I get offended if they eat meat around me, lol. I’ve never really understood that, my choices are just my choices *shrugs*.

Clay has the occasional drink but he doesn’t get drunk. Me, I only drink maybe a few times a year. He does have a drink more than that, but still not very many. It doesn’t bother me, as I used to drink more than I do now, and he doesn’t drink in an unhealthy way or to deal with problems or anything, when it really wouldn’t be a good idea to drink. Just socially.

Now smoking, that I can’t deal with in a partner, I will say that!

I couldn’t always run either. It took a lot of hard work for me to get where I am now. Some people tell me I make it look easy, but they don’t know how I’m really feeling inside sometimes!

• Rebecca says:

Oh yes! Smoking is definitely a priority about abstaining. Yeah, each person has their own opinions about drinking. I have friends who drink, and usually its okay. I just don’t want to put alcohol in my marriage or house.

• Rebecca says:

And yes! About the running and working on goals thing, I am learning right now that things don’t just happen overnight. Its a hard truth but I am learning.

2. Ash says:

I love all your answers to the Q & A’s! It definitely makes me feel better about becoming a vegetarian now, because most veg people I know have been since they were kids. I’ve never really loved meat either so it was pretty easy to eliminate it. It grosses me out too, but I don’t freak out if other people eat it.

I would love to find a husband that cooks for me haha! That’s so sweet that you and Clay have a special meal 🙂

Thanks! Nah most of the vegetarians I know didn’t become vegetarians until they were really old enough to make that decision. And I do think it’s the individuals decision, even when I have kids I’ll be fine if they want to be meat eaters. It’s really their choice.

Clay loves to cook! I’m glad he does too- it would stress me out to have to cook!

3. Ha. I have also read about that race and really want to do it. Sooo much fun.

4. lindsay says:

i have similar feelings towards meat as you. i didn’t eat it everyday and i never really craved it, and i definitely didn’t want it on the bone! i quit eating meat earlier this summer and i don’t miss it – except when it makes it harder to eat at a restaurant. i do still eat fish, usually when eating out if there’s nothing but a teeny house salad to eat.

impressive on the laptop still booting up and umm yum on the mystery gatorade flavor 😉

I eat seafood too, a lot of the reason why is because it opens up a lot of options at different restaurants. Still though, I only eat it maybe once a month or so (usually in something like sushi, lol… funny how I’ll eat sushi but not cooked meat).

I love my old laptop but the fact that there’s a John Edwards 2004 presidential sticker on it pretty much shows its age, haha. My current one is only a few years old but still needs replacing!

5. allieksmith says:

Yay for double fisting pb, running, and being a vegetarian!!

6. missymiller says:

LOve your open-mindedness about vegetarianism because it truly is a personal choice – – I feel like many jump on it like a band-wagon.

Just do with what you feel…you know?

I was vegetarian-ish since the age of 11. I cut out red meat, then white meat at 14 and even went vegan in college…..when I got very ill from anorexia I was out of my mind so all mental decisions regarding this were gone. I experimented with chicken (I just can’t do it) and turkey (about twice a year I could do it) and then I found seafood.
    Ahh….
    I will probably never be vegan again. Love seafood. Dairy? Turkey? Emmm…not so much right now. But you do the natural thing that comes to you.

We have so much in common, except for running and I am glad to find your fun blog.

Yeah, I could never do the vegan thing. I do like dairy and ice cream and stuff like that. And really, eating seafood offers a lot more options for me as well. And yeah, if you’re sick with an ED, a drastic lifestyle change like going vegan probably isn’t a wise decision to make under that sort of physical and psychological distress.