Five Question Friday- Short Work Week Edition!

Five Question FridaySo, I think it’s harder to come back to work after a 3 day weekend than a vacation. After a vacation, you’re ready to get back to a routine and real life. After a 3 day weekend… you wish EVERY weekend was a 3 day weekend because a 4 day work week would be awesome. My friend Terence works at my alma mater and has a 4 day work week during the summer months.

Jealousy, much?

Five Question Friday

Besides working, the only thing I really did this week was sign up for a painting class, get a Formspring (ask me anything!), and go to lunch with some coworkers. We went to Mellow Mushroom and it was awesome, except I didn’t feel like working for the rest of the day.

Oops. So much for a “recharge” lunch.

Here’s Five Question Friday!

1. Do you think cursive writing is overrated? (Schools in Indiana have now voted to take teaching cursive writing out of their curriculum.)

I think it’s overrated, but I’m slightly biased because my cursive is horrible, and it’s hard for me to read cursive writing. At my elementary school, we started using computers in kindergarten (this was 1990, mind you). We didn’t start cursive until 3rd grade. My cursive was horrible then, and despite my mom’s best efforts at buying me workbooks and making me practice, it never got much better.

After all, I’m a technical writer, not a cursive writer. Have you ever seen an instruction manual or e-mail newsletter written in cursive? Alrighty then…

2. Do you still use a pocket calendar or notepad or do you keep your info on your smart phone?

I’m too dumb for a smart phone- actually, I’m surrounded by technology 40 hours a week at my job, so I like being away from it when I’m not there.  Seriously- one of the best parts of my honeymoon was the fact that I was away from technology for 7 entire days.

I tend to write to-do lists every morning on scrap paper and when I’m in a meeting, I take notes by hand in a Vera Bradley notepad. I’ve noticed lately that I’m one of the few people in my meetings NOT taking notes electronically, but I’m fine with that.

I love my little Vera Bradley notepads and until my company gives me a Vera Bradley iPad, I’ll use it :).

3. What 3 things would you save if your house was burning down? (family & pets are already safe)

I’d save my computer (or portable hard drive) because it has all of my pictures stored on it. That sounds cheesy, but it’s just for the pictures, because I don’t have hard copies of them.

I’d probably also grab the big box of Christmas ornaments, since many of them are passed down from my parents and grandma.

I’m not sure what the third item would be because that’s pretty much all I have that I couldn’t easily replace.

4. Country Mouse or City Mouse, err Person?

I’ve never lived in a city before, but I’ll hopefully never live anywhere smaller than the town I live in now. No way could I live in a small town again. After growing up in one and moving away, I’d die if I had to drive an hour to do anything fun.

5. If you could pick ANY reality show to go on, which would you pick?

I always thought it would be cool to go on The Real World, back in the 1990s when it was actually good and the people actually seemed normal. Except for Puck, of course ;).

I don’t watch this show anymore (does it even come on anymore? I thought they replaced the “M” in “MTV” with “Maternity” instead of “Music”).

I’ll have to say my favorite reality show is Cops- the most “real” reality show of them all- even though I hope to NEVER wind up on it!

This entry was posted in Five Question Friday. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Five Question Friday- Short Work Week Edition!

1. I don’t think writing in cursive is the biggest deal. I know a lot of people that don’t even use it in our society anymore. Our society has evolved so much, I think in the next 15-20 years that people won’t be using it anymore anyways.

• proudpatriot07 says:

Haha, all I ever use it for is signing my name. I wonder who decided signatures have to be in cursive anyway?

2. Rebecca says:

Haha! That is funny that we both talked about cursive in our posts! Yeah, my cursive iisnt that good either, but I practice it every now and then, and it slowly gets better each time. Hehe. It has definitely improved since I signed official “documents” to get my learner’s permit. Haha! Well, that’s good though.

Yeah, its funny. I’ve grown up in the country, and 5 years ago, I was still attached to the country. Even though I still love the country, I’m ready to move to the city… especially since I’ve worked at Cedar Point, gone to NYC for a week, and even just went to college in Springfield, MO for 2 years. Its funny how experiencing city life changes your view on life. Imagine how much gas money I would have saved if I was within walking distance of my job… or even just a 10 minute drive. Well, I’m sure I wouldn’t mind walking a 10 minute drive. 😉 I would lose my “college weight”. Hehe.

Well, as far as a notepad goes, I do carry one with me! Its very convenient. I love making To Do lists. Hehe. And I do have a notepad on my phone as well. Its also convenient. I have addresses on it, as well as hours for the work week, and also just info that I will need to know for more than just a few days.

Hehe. I work about 4 days right now, but hopefully that will change. I want more days! 😀

• proudpatriot07 says:

I hope you get more hours- I can’t wait to read about your new job :).

I really want to experience living somewhere else one day, especially somewhere I could walk places. I can’t even walk down my road because of the crazy construction around here, and the only thing to really walk to is a gas station and a park a little further away, no stores or anything. There are hardly any sidewalks around here, it’s just not conducive to walking or biking for that matter.

3. I hate cursive & when I was still going to school in New York– we used computers & had to type our documentations. When I moved down to SC, I guess they were behind because I had to write in cursive for my history class. And then when I got to high school I had to write in cursive for my English classes. I hated it sooo much! lol.
    I used to love the Real World. I haven’t watched it since Real World Chicago!!! that was one of my favorites by far!!!
    And I think they actually replaced the M in MTV, but didn’t make it Maternity lol. I know it’s no longer called MTV. I remember watching the last TRL. =( I was sooo sad to see that go, because it used to be so good– and I always watched it at 4pm everyday! =)

Well I hope you had a great weekend =)

-Mel

• proudpatriot07 says:

That’s so crazy they made you write in cursive for things like high school! I mean once I got to high school we had to type our papers but in middle school we didn’t. I think it was more because of when I went to middle school though (mid 90s) a lot of people didn’t have computers.

TRL was always so awesome- used to come home and watch it every night with Carson Daly :). I loved how they were in Times Square too and people went there with signs :).

4. Stephanie says:

I can totally relate to your comments abour yoga!! Saying I am inflexible in an understatement. Sean and I went to a yoga class to start working our poor flexibility (that is most noticeable in my hamstrings and glutes as well). Little did we know it was power yoga night. What we thought was going to be relaxing turned into another hard workout. I spent the entire hour trying to not laugh out loud as I repeatedly fell over time and time again. I definitely gained a new appreciatin for yoga. 🙂

• proudpatriot07 says:

Yeppers I fall over too! I wouldn’t even try power yoga- if I’m doing yoga, I want to relax. If I want a power workout, I’ll do speedwork :).