Waffle House Valentine’s Date 2014

It’s been a week since Valentine’s Day, but I thought I’d share our Valentine’s date at Waffle House.

waffle-house-001

Clay and I don’t make big plans for Valentine’s Day. Both of us feel it’s an overly commercialized holiday and that you should express love spontaneously, not necessarily when the greeting card companies suggest it.

Plus, we live in Charleston and we are kid-free, so we can go out to fancier restaurants anytime we want- including nights that are more convenient for us and when those restaurants are not packed with other couples.

We went to Waffle House for Valentine’s Day last year and had a great time, so we wanted to do it again. Last year, the John’s Island Waffle House treated us to a pink waffle with whipped cream and even put music on the jukebox for us. They did not do either of those things this year, which was a bit disappointing and would have improved our experience. Oh well.

For Valentine’s Day, you’re supposed to make a reservation, which I did several days before (there was no big crowd so we had no trouble getting a reservation!). Our Waffle House decorated and lit a candle on the table, and the food was typical Waffle House greasy deliciousness (I had a blueberry waffle and scrambled eggs).

Clay’s happy he married an easygoing lady like me who doesn’t want super fancy things for holidays, and I’m happy he plays along with my typical goofiness. We love our little nontraditional traditions like this one and getting ice cream on our anniversary!

Do you and your significant other (or family) have crazy traditions? If so, what?

About these ads
This entry was posted in Holidays, Married Life, The Handsome Husband and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Waffle House Valentine’s Date 2014

1. harveylisam says:

I think I’m a similar kind of person… I’m not one for fancy dinners or big gestures, but waffles sound amazing!! Glad it was a great weekend for you guys.

2. I still have not been to Waffle House!! Ahhh. I’ve been told from certain people that WH’s are “too dirty,” but I think that depends on each restaurant and how it’s ran by management and staff. But I still would like to eat at a WH sometime in the near future. We have them in bigger cities, especially near hotels. Maybe I’ll finally make it so one this year! :D

That’s neat about being treated to a pink waffle last year. Remind me again what that is?? Sorry they didn’t treat you to it this year. But I’m glad the date still went awesome.
    Yeah, I’ve only had boyfriends for two of my Valentine’s Day in times past (when I was at Evangel U.). And the first time was my first ever boyfriend, Ken. We didn’t do anything on the actual V-Day…but he asked me out on the 15th in the student lounge. He got me a rose, a stuffed animal, and I think some Reese’s peanut butter cups. The relationship only lasted 4 months.
    Then, for my sophomore year, Sean and I had been a couple since Oct 2008… and honestly, I don’t remember us doing much of anything. It was a bad relationship, really. Sean didn’t stand up for me when his family treated me badly, and I think for Valentine’s Day, we probably watched a movie in my room or something… but that relationship lasted 9.5 months.

I haven’t had a boyfriend since then for V-Day, but that’s okay. If I’m with my parents, we’ll go out to eat, or we’ll do a nice supper at home. If I’m by myself, I’ll do my own things, which is usually watching movies or something. Lol. This year though, I made cards for my parents, grandparents and my Aunt Ruth.

Have a good day!

The waffle was pink because it had pink food coloring in it. It was just pink, nothing special about the taste (of course, it was delicious). There’s a picture on my blog post from last year.

I don’t think Waffle House is dirty. It’s certainly not fancy or pristine, but ours isn’t any dirtier than a fast food restaurant or any other diner would be. Everything depends on who runs a restaurant- even chain restaurants like Chick-Fil-A can be good or bad depending on who the manager is.

I saw your cards on your blog, they looked cute.

3. My bf and I don’t like to go out for dinner on Valentine’s Day because it’s too crowded. And because of my work schedule, I’m often not free in the evenings anyway. On V-Day (or some other night if I’m not free on the 14th) he gets me cut flowers and a present (He keeps a list of things I like and picks something from that list whenever he needs to get me present. The list was his idea.) and I make his favorite meal of pesto lamb chops with roasted red potatoes and some kind of green and I bake him a chocolate cake. We’re both very happy with this arrangement/tradition.

BTW, I saw this earlier today: https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/8011_425650457565748_1575867817_n.jpg
    and I thought of you. The link is safe. It directly takes you to the photo. The original is on Facebook.

Thanks for sharing that picture, it’s really cool (and thanks for insisting it is safe. I’ve gotten some crazy emails lately with weird links, not fun).

I love the idea of having a list of things you like or need and then picking from it for presents! I make wish lists for things like the holidays, that makes it easier. It’s nothing against surprises, occasional surprises are fine (hubs surprised me with bringing a veggie burger home last night- good stuff!), but for a big holiday present, I agree it’s good to get something you like :).

4. KrisLawrence says:

I LOVE that you do this. It seems so perfect because everyone thinks Valentines Day is about going to some uber-fancy, expensive place and its not. I may have to steal the phrase non-traditional tradition. ;) Glad you both had a great time even if the service wasn’t exactly as perfect as last year. I haven’t been too a Waffle House in so long (we don’t have one near us) but I used to love going there!

A lot of areas don’t have Waffle House, seems like it’s mostly a Southern thing. And, near interstate highways.

Most of the time, I honestly don’t care where my husband and I go on dates. As long as there’s *something* I can eat there and we’re together, it’s all good.

You can’t ever go wrong with waffles, though…

5. that sounds like a great valentines day! I don’t like the idea of valentines day either, but rather that it should be ever day that you appreciate your love ones.

6. allieksmith says:

I think it’s so cute that you two went on sch a down-to-earth V-Day date again this year. I love that the Waffle House decorated the tables, too! Adorable :)

Thanks girly! Yeah they decorated the restaurant pretty cute. No one else in there knew about it, I think Clay and I may have been the only ones to make a reservation. I don’t think our Waffle House exactly promoted the event very well…

7. Kara says:

Awww! How sweet. I love your date :) And I love Waffle House, haha! We don’t really have any traditions that I can think of…I guess I should start one?!

Happy (late) Valentine’s Day!

8. LilMysNinja says:

I agree with you. :) I’m not big on valentine’s day either because I feel it’s important to show it all year round. This year we actually went a bit more traditional that we had before. I enjoyed it yet, but it won’t be something that I would expect to do each year. We’re like you, no kids and can go out to eat whenever we want. But I do love special traditions! Love that you guys have those too.

9. Same here! My husband and I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. We show our love for each other everyday so we don’t need really need Valentine’s Day to show it more.
    You and your hubby are too cute by the way!!! :)