Hump day, the Green Door birthday dinner, and Marine Corps Marathon worries

Hey everyone and guess what day it is? Hump day!

In honor of hump day, I made this cute comic on Bitstrips, one of my favorite Facebook apps. The hill at the Park West track in Mt. Pleasant is the closest thing to a mountain in Mt. Pleasant.

1376467_664141334113_830881890_n

When I coached cross country for the Mt. Pleasant Track Club, we played a game called “King of the Hill” where the kids raced up the hill in groups and were eliminated in rounds. At the end, we had a girl and boy who were the fastest at getting to the top of the hill- it was a fun way to incorporate hills into our workouts.

As for hills, I went to the Cooper River Bridge for Happy Hour yesterday (i.e., one hour of running, 7 miles). It went well, and when I finished, I ran an extra 3.2 miles with the TrySports Run Club.

I didn’t intend to run 10 miles yesterday; it just kinda happened. Run Club was a lot slower because I ran with some girls training for their first half marathons and marathon, so it was more like an extended cool down. A 3 mile cool down, haha.

Speaking of marathons, I hope the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC takes place this weekend. According to USA Today, it may be cancelled due to the government shutdown. Most of my training partners are registered and worried sick about non-refundable flights and hotels or finding “backup” races. It sucks that they have to worry about this instead of resting, packing, and planning for a good race day.

image

The marathon I ran, the Darlington Marathon, was an inaugural race and it had its share of issues, but at least I never worried about it not occurring! If it is cancelled, there’s a grassroots movement of registered runners to run 26.2 miles around Washington, D.C. anyway, but I hope it’s on and official for my friends’ sake. Especially those who are first-timers.

In non-running news, Clay and I went out for my birthday last weekend. My birthday was last Tuesday, but I’m not one of those bloggers who constantly celebrates- it’s just another day. I turned 28, so it’s not an exciting birthday anyway. No new privileges or age groups with 28.

We went downtown to The Green Door to celebrate. We’ve been there before, and we don’t repeat restaurants often, so it definitely gets our seal of approval. I had a delicious chickpea burger with tots and he had the Buddha Bowl of noodles.

The_Green_Door

The Green Door isn’t the healthiest place to eat, but they have some truly unique offerings, such as deep fried pork belly, thai chili pimento cheese, beef tongue and cheek, and mason jar salads. Unfortunately, the restaurant is closing at the end of the month since the tavern beside the restaurant is kicking the owner, Cory, out, but hopefully he’ll find a new location around Charleston.

The Green Door is super popular in Charleston, and his following will follow him anywhere- the proof is in the Yelp reviews. We really hope he’ll relocate, but if you’re in Charleston, you better hit The Green Door in the next two weeks!

Well, that’s all for now. I need to get back to writing and working, and Clay and I are headed out for a Yelp Elite event tonight, so I need to get ready and dressed in real-girl clothes. Have a good one!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Coaching, Downtown and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Hump day, the Green Door birthday dinner, and Marine Corps Marathon worries

1. Amy says:

Happy Birthday! October is a great month for a birthday :)
    It looks like things are looking good for MCM. Seriously, after NY being cancelled last year and the tragedy at Boston this year, DC needs to put on a fantastic marathon!

I really hope it will be on and was glad to hear about the possible shutdown resolution about an hour or two ago… maybe I needed to blog about this sooner and things would’ve gotten done sooner, haha?

2. Liz says:

Although I do think a marathon cancellation is probably the least of the worries of the government shutdown (compared to people not getting paid), I do agree 100% that it’s a huge disappointment! I know I would be really upset if I had spent money on something like that and then it wasn’t going to happen! Especially because it’s hard work to train for stuff like that!!!! But it is pretty cool that even if it is shut down, that people would still run it around DC. I think it’s good to make statements like that! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I don’t really like to do huge things for my birthday. Last year my friend made me get my friends together. A handful of us just went to a bar that had just opened and there was just us and three random guys that we walked past on our way in the ENTIRE bar (it was new). It was awesome! But I feel like if I make a big deal out of the day, it’s usually a disappointment, so I try to keep it low key!

Oh yeah- you can’t stop runners. A few years ago the Myrtle Beach Marathon was cancelled due to snow. It wasn’t even real snow, just a few flurries. Everyone knows it doesn’t snow in coastal SC! People still ran, some still volunteered, and they got the finisher’s medals at the end (they had been made so I guess they had to do something with them).

I do agree the marathon is the least of the shutdown’s issues, but at least it looks like a resolution may be near. I guess things like potential race cancellations show how much it can affect anyone regardless of their job or what they do.

We went on a cruise one year over my birthday and nothing can beat that. No other birthday will come close, haha.

3. allieksmith says:

Oh jeez, I would be SUPER sad if the Marine Corps. Marathon is cancelled. That’s just outrageous. The government shutdown is actually impacting my school. My professors often have the students visit government websites to get information for assignments and stuff… but now we can’t. Ugh.

I remember when you went to the Green Door before! I’m glad it gets your seal of approval. Jimmy and I are the opposite of you and Clay with restaurants. We find one we like and go every. single. week. until we’re 100% sick of it haha.

Yeah, when we lived in Florence, we always went to a few restaurants all the time. But, there are just so many here and we have a lot of foodie friends who are always telling us new places to try. I went to a Yelp Elite event at Outback tonight and came away with a full tummy as well as another list of places to eat!

Hopefully they are reaching a deal and the shutdown will end (yay!!) and MCM will take place. But you are right, it is impacting everyone.

4. I know of a few people running the marathon as well (or planning to!) and they are so torn about this. Like you said, besides the enormous of dedication and training that has gone into this marathon, there are booked hotels, travel plans made, meets ups arranged…. gah it’s just beyond ridiculous <- For lack of a better term!
    On a happier note, happy belated birthday to you :) 28 is a good age if you ask me, a nice even number! That's great you have been able to find a restaurant you will keep going back to, always nice to have a default place. I know if I find a restaurant I like, I definitely venture back to it! Perhaps more than my family wants to sometimes haha

Yeah, The Green Door is delicious and will hopefully reopen somewhere new… maybe even closer to our home. It takes a lot for us to become “regulars” somewhere, but good food, cheap, and close to the house are definitely what makes that happen.

One of my friends had non-refundable plane tickets and a non-refundable hotel for MCM. Losing a race fee is one thing (there are always other marathons, and they would be willing to take would-be MCMers). But that’s a lot of money down the drain!

5. Your government is a hot mess, methinks. I hope it’s not cancelled either!!

6. Terri says:

Amy, MCM was my first marathon last year, and I’m remembering the nervousness of tapering AND watching the weather reports as Hurricane Sandy was heading toward the East Coast. it was a tough call on whether to travel INTO a storm for a race that MIGHT not happen. This year is another situation entirely. I feel for the runners and race organizers. Those Marines are the best though!

7. spectacuLAUR says:

Happy Belated 28th birthday! I definitely understand not being big on birthdays. I barely want to even celebrate mine because it really is just another day. Lol Good news is the government is no longer on shut down! HOORAY

I know! So glad the shutdown is over… but can’t believe all that money was spent on it, ugh.

My birthday was really just another workday too… I guess that’s how it is when you get old!