Save the Date…

I signed up for my second half marathon this week.

Historic Georgetown Bridge to Bridge Half Marathon
October 13, 2012 – Georgetown SC

When I moved to Charleston four months ago, I didn’t know many people. I left behind the Florence Track Club, my Fitness World Run Club friends, my amazing yoga class, and many, many, supportive coworkers and friends.

Nine days after moving, I started training with the Believe Achieve Run Club and signed up for a half marathon training program, mainly to some long runs in before the Run Like a Nut half marathon in November in Florence and to make friends.

After all, you learn a lot about a person when you run double-digit mileage with them and chat the whole time.

I never imagined I’d be running the Bridge to Bridge half marathon. I remember feeling so nervous the first time I ran over the Arthur Ravenel Bridge here in town this July. Now I’m running a half marathon that involves two bridges. I’ve also found a new gym (East Shore- complete with Body Pump and yoga), new running buddies, a club to coach, and tons of new friends.

The magic happens when you leave your comfort zone.

Here comes the Tiny Terror!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Believe Achieve Run Club, Charleston SC, Fitness World Run Club, Florence Track Club, Half Marathon, Mt Pleasant Track Club and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Save the Date…

1. Good luck on the half! And it’s so great that you’ve made so many connections in Charleston, that must make it feel so much more like home.

2. Rebecca says:

Wow!! Way to go, Amy! I’m very happy and excited for you. I know you’ve been working hard toward this, and I hope you have fun with this race, as well as more to come.

Best wishes as you complete your training!

And I’m glad of all the opportunities you’ve had before, during and after your move. Looks like you’re plugging in very well. :D

Thanks Becca. There’s a ton of opportunities here for us, with professional things like work and also hobbies like running, art, working out, etc. Even when Clay and I have kids, they will have more opportunities.

3. allieksmith says:

Yes!! This post makes me so happy!! You’re totally right about that whole comfort zone think too. You really took some brave steps outside of your comfort zone and look at you now! You’re going to rock your half for sure.

Thanks, it is a tough course so finishing in under 2 hours will make me happy. I would love a 1:55 but we shall see! Either way it will be a fun weekend for us, going to eat a nice dinner before and stay overnight.

4. Sarah says:

This post is seriously epic lady. I’m really happy AND excited for you and all that your doing! It’s great you’ve met some fellow runners and yay for the half, go run your little heart out and have fun along the way!!!!! :)

Yup, I will definitely run my heart out :). I have a few goal times in mind but honestly, I have already run 13 miles, I’ve run over bridges, I’ve really conquered of fears in the past few months… so in that sense, 95% of the race is done before I set foot on the course.

5. Wo. Cannot believe you signed up like a week before. guess you are in shape for it though so you’ll be all set. How cool! The half is my absolute favorite distance. You will have to let me know how this race is maybe post injury I can do it next year.

I actually signed up 11 days before the race… this is the usual for me. I’ve never signed up for one more than a month before, but I’ve only done local races. I guess if I did a huge race with dramatic price increases, I’d sign up early.

6. Steph says:

Woah, that’s next week! Good luck!

7. woot girl way to go! you are gonna rock it

8. runwkate says:

So true about getting out of your comfort zone (could you send a memo to Rake please? Thanks!). I am so excited about you signing up for the half AND about finding new friends and fitness options – I am moving into a new area atm, and it makes a HUGE difference to find special people.

Once you get involved in the new area it really helps. You have to work hard at it though, friendships and relationships definitely have to be nurtured like that. But you can do! I’m excited too :)

9. that is so awesome!!! congrats!!! You will definitely kick booty in the run. And sometimes (ok always) it is really hard to break out of your comfort zone, but 9 times out of 10, its totally worth it!

10. ha. here i thought this race was a few months out and i was thinking oh maybe i’ll do this too. but no, i won’t be in shape by then ;) good luck next weekend!

11. Patty says:

Congrats on your second half marathon sign-up!!

12. Amy I am so excited for you! I know you will rock this race.. you work so hard and deserve to have it pay off :) Awesome about continuing to make so many connections in Charleston too!

13. YAY for the tiny terror!! such a cute picture of u, i can’t wait to see u tear it up out there good luck! :)