Saturday long run, lunch, and football WINS

Hey everyone! I hope you guys had a good Saturday. We sure did Smile.

My weekend started Friday afternoon with yoga, which I was super excited to do for the first time in over two weeks! Between classes being cancelled and having other things to do on yoga nights (my gym only offers 3 classes a week; my gym in Florence had 3 classes on some *days*- I do miss that gym.). I always feel so much better and centered after I do yoga.

Picture 214

I also miss these yoga peeps from Florence…

Saturday morning, I got up at 4:30 AM and fueled up on some pumpkin spice coffee and oatmeal before my 12 miler. For the first time today, I tried a Gu gel, sucking down half of it at the 6 mile mark and another bite at the 9 mile mark. I’m not sure if it was the breakfast or the Gu, but my pace was faster in the second half of the run and I didn’t feel so wiped out afterward- I felt like I could keep going, which is a good feeling considering I’m training for a half and would still have a little over a mile to go.

Saw this walking around Avondale yesterday. Love it.

Having Siobhan, Krystal, Will, and Joelle for company and conversation makes the long runs fun- I’ll miss them when I actually race, guess that will be my one alone long run. Since long runs are on Saturday, we can hang out and chat more, compared to the weekday runs where everyone’s so rushed.

Saturday afternoon, Clay and I went to Triangle Char-n-Bar for lunch because I was obviously famished after running 12 miles and we hadn’t been on a date in awhile. Triangle is an open air bar and restaurant in Avondale, and since it was a cool day, everything was open. They serve grass fed beef, local foods whenever possible, and they compost the food left on plates so that it’s not wasted. Not that I left any on my plate Winking smile.

It was scrumptious! So we’ll definitely be back soon.

Portobello tacos and sweet potato fries with apple butter

That night, we watched the Carolina Gamecocks defeat the Kentucky Wildcats 38-17. Kentucky led at halftime but we managed to come back and pull off the win, by a lot (Side Note: did anyone else who watched the game think the commentators were blatantly biased and wanted Kentucky to win? Why do commentators always seem to want USC to lose?). ESPN College Gameday is covering the Carolina/Georgia matchup next Saturday so that should be fun to watch. We also watched the Clemson/Boston College game.

145170787959626093_dGle14Pz_c

Nasty or pretty, Gamecock fans stand by the team

Today… I’m trying out a new (to me) yoga studio. Yoga House of Charleston has a donation-based class, and since it’s close to my apartment and convenient, I want to try it out. Yoga after a long run- sounds great to me. We’ll probably watch some NFL and chill out this afternoon too. Happy Sunday!

You might like…

About these ads
This entry was posted in Avondale/West Ashley, Believe Achieve Run Club, Charleston Food, Half Marathon, Yoga and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Saturday long run, lunch, and football WINS

1. for some reason I am craving some good sweet potato fries, gluten free of course! glad your twelve miler went well. I am a strange runner and NEVER fuel during long runs. for some reason they make me feel sicker. hope you have a wonderful sunday!

I never fueled either and everyone else seemed to, so I figured I’d try it… obviously I don’t want to try anything on race day and there’s not much time left, so I needed to go ahead and try it to find one that works. I will most likely tuck it into my pocket for my half and at least suck did a little of it at the water stations. Some races aid stations actually have them there for you I think.

2. Steph says:

4:30 am??? you’re a wild woman! Also, now I’m really going to have to get some sweet potato fries.

Well, we start our runs at 6 to beat the heat, and I have to drive about 30 minutes to get there… so waking up at 4:30 is a must if I’m going to eat beforehand.

But don’t worry. I had a pumpkin spice coffee before I ran, then a fat free French Vanilla latte, then a cup of dark roast coffee with French Vanilla creamer. I didn’t even realize I woke up at 4:30!

3. runwkate says:

Gu is amazing – I don’t quite know how it works, but I always feel the same way – it lets me keep going! Great job on the 12 miler :-D. And do you have access to all the best food, or is that just me?

Charleston is pretty much the culinary capital of this state and possibly the Southeastern US. No lie, the food here is amazing… hence I’m training for two half marathons now.

4. Melissa says:

I used to have Gu but now I am on a Honey Stinger kick. And I agree with Kate above…the food where you live looks amazing! Glad your run went well and hope the new yoga studio works out well. Enjoy the rest of your evening! :)

One of the girls I run with ate a honey stinger waffle thing. I’ve seen those a few times at Try Sports but settled on the Gu since that seems to be the first thing everyone tries when they try a food on the run :)

5. Sounds like an awesome weekend! It must be nice to have running buddies!!

6. jaml905 says:

Oh wow! 4:30am… That’s EARLY! :) I am still dreaming at 4:30am, while you are already starting your day. LOL! How do you do that? What time do you sleep at night? Do you sleep early?

I’m amazed at how those energy gels work. It’s maybe the combination of your coffee and gel that made you faster. :) I used to not take those but now, I realized they really help. :)

Goodluck on your training!

7. I live right down the West Ashley Greenway from Triangle so I’ve run my own personal half marathon down the trail a couple times and ended up there for a reward lunch. I love their sweet potato fries.

That’s pretty neat… I think I might do that sometime, run a half marathon around West Ashley and then end with a meal at the triangle. I really loved the apple butter that came with the fries too.

We should definitely meet up for dinner sometime!

8. okay now i’m CRAVING some Mexican food sooo hard!! wat is with tortillas and making me love them so much? hehe. way to get ur long run on girl!

9. You make me want to start running more again! Keep it up :)

10. Patty says:

Yum those tacos sound delicious!! Can’t beat a weekend that has tacos, football, and yoga!

11. spectacuLAUR says:

Those portabello tacos look awesome! And sweet potato fries. YUM. I definitely think the Gel may have helped with your run. When I was training for my half, the first time I took Sports Beans with me, my runs completely changed and my muscles always felt better afterwards. I am a believer in those when you are a long distance runner. I think they really do benefit!