Downtown Desserts, Painting Classes, and Hanging with Friends

So I’ve had a pretty busy last few days! It’s the end of the month at work so I had a lot to do today- so much that I ended up missing my run club and running 4 miles on my own this evening. I also ate lunch at my computer desk, but at least it was a lunch I prepared myself (definitely the best thing about working from home: being able to cook your own delicious and nutritious lunch without resorting to TV dinners or takeout.

Also, I hung my painting this week! Last week, I did a painting class at a local studio here called Wine and Design. It’s a guided painting class, so the instructor helps you and shows you all the strokes. Even if you’ve never painted before, you can go to the class and do it, and you leave with a finished painting. I had a Groupon so I redeemed it to paint this really pretty palm tree. They have a lot of neat Lowcountry-themed ones, and one of the studios here offers a buy one get one free neat in October. Can’t wait to take advantage of the art studios here and paint more.

This was the fourth painting class I’ve done, and I think I’ve improved each time. I hope to decorate the whole apartment (and our future home) in paintings that I did myself.

Tuesday night, my friends Liz, Nadine, and I went downtown to have a girl’s night. Our husbands are all friends too, so we all see each other a lot and hang out (there are other couples in the group too). The guys stayed at my apartment and grilled on Clay’s grill and enjoyed mixed drinks and we hit the town- downtown Charleston!

The first place we went was the Moon Pie General Store. The Moon Pie store sells a huge variety of Moon Pies, even ones I’ve never heard of, like mint Moon Pies and peanut butter Moon Pies. They also have big barrels of old fashioned candy and taffy and other cool stuff. They even had Fruit Stripe gum- something all of us 90s kids remember.

fruit_stripe_gum

The three of us snagged a random tourist to take our picture in the Moon Pie store, too (Liz, me, and Nadine).

After we left the store, we went down the street to Kaminsky’s Most Excellent Desserts, where I had a Mochachino and Liz and Nadine had ice cream- the brownie and chocolate chip cookie sundaes. My coffee was super rich and delicious (my tummy was thankful I ordered it with skim milk, but it was still super chocolately and rich), and the ice cream sundaes were too big to finish.

kaminskys_brownie_sundae

I think next time we’ll get a couple desserts and share- it would be really fun to take a huge crowd here and just pass the desserts around the table. With restaurants like Kaminsky’s, you can skip going out for dinner and just head straight for the dessert. If you visit Charleston, this place is NOT to be missed (neither is the Moon Pie General Store, especially if you’re into candy).

We had an awesome time just hanging out and talking about stuff- not just talking about our husbands, either Smile. Nadine just moved here from California so it’s neat exploring our city together, and Liz works for one of the local newspapers, the Charleston City Paper, so she always knows about the fun stuff going on and the great restaurants downtown (their office is downtown).

kaminskys_desserts

We came back to my place and hung out with the guys while my caffeine high wore off (yeah- if I have a lot of caffeine at night, I act like most people act when they’re drunk…), then I took Nadine home and Clay and I *crashed*. Needless to say, we both slept in a little that next morning.

Despite the fun stuff this week, it’s almost the weekend again. Clay and I are planning to watch football (South Carolina vs. Kentucky game) and hit a Food Truck Rodeo nearby, and I’ll do a long run Saturday morning and yoga class on Sunday. We’ll probably cook and have friends over this weekend too, and maybe I’ll hit up the pool one last time before it closes for the season (our pools here are open until October, because it’s still 85 degrees here and you can swim!).

Hope everyone else is having an exciting week!

Q1.) What would you order off the Kaminsky’s menu? I want to try the Café Vienna next. It’s vanilla flavored.

Q2.) What decade do you identify with growing up? Even though I was born in 1985, I think of myself as a 90s kid and I’m a millennial teenager. Most of what I miss as a kid is from the 90s, though- like boy bands and classic Nickelodeon.

Q3.) Are certain times of the year or month busier than others at your job/school? Mine usually gets crazy busy close to release time, but we had some end-of-month stuff for September. Also, tax time is busy too since I do technical writing for financial accounting products.

Q4.) Are you happy the NFL refs are back? I know this question has nothing to do with my blog post, but I’m watching football and everyone’s making a huge deal about the refs being back. It’s definitely a good thing to have knowledgeable refs, though.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Charleston SC, Friends and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Downtown Desserts, Painting Classes, and Hanging with Friends

1. what fun places you explored!

2. Melissa says:

I want to go to that Moon Pie store! It sounds delicious. And oh man do I remember that nasty fruit stripe gum, lol..it lost flavor within a minute, haha! I’ve only been to Charleston once (for a day while on a cruise) and it’s definitely a place I want to go back to…my husband and I really liked the feel of the town and want to see more of it. Have a great weekend! :)

It is a really nice city, and yeah we have a cruise ship here now :). I see it quite often when I go for runs in the morning, which is neat (seeing it always makes me crave pancakes, though). You should definitely come down for a few days, there’s a lot to do here!

3. Shayna says:

Wow! Looks like you have settled in well. Kaminsky’s sound awesome! I will have to try that when I am down there again!

Hey girl! Yeah, I’ve definitely settled in pretty well (did I mention it’s great to hear from you, too? Nick said he saw you the other day but I don’t know if you saw him?).

Let me know when you come back down to visit and we’ll hit Kaminisky’s together. And I coach track and cross country here now too!

4. Steph says:

I think I’ve been to Kaminsky’s! At least, those cheesecakes look familiar ;)

I bet they’re delicious… I’m honestly not huge on cheesecake, would rather have something like a flavored coffee or froyo/ice cream. But Kaminsky’s definitely had a big variety to chose from for all sweet teeth.

5. What great places you are going Amy! I took a peek at that menu and I would order what you would too… it sounds like something I would definitely enjoy! Oh and heck yes to that gum… but I would go through a pack or so a day because the flavor only lasted about 5 seconds lol

You are right, the flavor never lasted long at all. It was probably some marketing ploy to get kids to chew obscene amounts of gum so our parents would buy us more. I didn’t even know it still existed though. Heck, it could even be a new and improved formula by now, but I don’t like gum much so I won’t find out.

I do like desserts but flavored gourmet coffee is definitely worth it too :). That mochachino was super rich- it wasn’t crazy weak and sweetened, it was more of a very rich semisweet chocolate flavor.

6. oh my gosh fruit stripes gum!!!! haha…i luv it, total flashback there. :) but i’d def opt for those awesomely droolworthy desserts of that gum any day!
    i hope u get all the busy work biz taken care of, i kno i get stressed when i have a TON of stuff i need to get done.
    so i’m glad u were able to meet up and have a blast with ur friends…keep having a wonderful weekend! :)

Yeah, none of us actually bought anything at the moon pie store. If we had, we would have taken the stuff home and not eaten it right then. I’d rather spend my money on sweets from Kaminsky’s anyway!

7. runwkate says:

Wow! Yum – the only thing I can see is that brownie of the menu – I’ll have that thanks. I’m a 90s kids too, but we didn’t have that brand :-).I have no answer to Q4 – but being busy always goes in spurts. For me it’s usually Fridays, the end of the month, and oh, when an assignment is due!

8. You have got to get the berry cobbler at Kaminsky’s with ice cream on top. Wow! It is absolutely heavenly and enough to share between 2.
    Your painting looks great. I’d love to do a palm one so very SC,

That does sound tasty… I don’t even know what I want to try next at Kaminsky’s because I just want to try it all. The studios here have tons of palm tree paintings and SC themed, just buy a groupon because they all offer the same types of things… you could paint a palm tree every week if ya wanted, lol.

9. what do you do with your paintings? i’ve thought about going again (it is a fun outing!) but i don’t like the one painting i made enough to hang it up anywhere in the house haha.

i always thought kaminsky’s was just part of the t-bones. good to know it’s standalone too! mmm

I have three paintings hanging in my apartment and I gave one to my (well, Clay’s, technically) grandparents for Christmas. I intend to decorate the apartment in my paintings and have one in each room eventually.

Yup, you can get Kaminsky’s without having to eat in T-bonz. But if you do eat there and order dessert, it’s actually from Kaminsky’s.