Weekend Recap + It’s Okay Thursday (Sept. 20)

Hey guys :). I hope everyone’s having a good week! It’s been really busy here, so I haven’t been thinking about the blog much. Sometimes it’s nice to just live life and not worry about documenting it all anyway.

Last weekend was busy but great. I started my Saturday by running 10 miles with the Believe/Achieve Run Club here. I ran with Scott, Will, Ed, Rachel, and Gary, and Gary and I ran back together because everyone else we ran with was doing 20. They’re training for the Savannah Rock N Roll marathon, but I’m doing the half marathon training plan. I guess that makes me “half crazy”.

I’ve actually *enjoyed* the long runs lately. Each 10 miler gets easier- the pace Saturday was about 8:48 per mile which for me is great. Plus everyone chats and has a good time, and you make friends pretty easily talking to people on the runs.

When I got home from the run, I ate breakfast and napped for about 2 hours while Clay helped one of our friends run some errands (our friend got in a car accident last week- he’s okay, but needed help getting to places like the bank for a couple days). Then we went out for Mexican before heading to Columbia to watch the South Carolina Gamecocks beat the University of Alabama Birmingham Blazers!

Carolina won by a landslide and it was a great game, minus our quarterback getting hurt and having to miss the second half. Fortunately, Connor Shaw is recovering and will be able to start on Saturday, but it’s nice to have a good backup in Dylan Thompson. Clay and I loved the new video board and the renovations around Williams Brice stadium, and going to the games is always fun. Maybe we can get back for an SEC game this season too- our games always sell out though.

Football is big business in the south! Lots of girls dress up in their little black dresses or gameday dresses. I’m really not a girly girl, and my southern card is long gone, but I do rock my pearls :).

It’s Thursday, so I’m linking up with A Complete Waste of Makeup for It’s Okay Thursday.

It's Okay

To get a caramel macchiato from Starbucks after your speed workout. Hey, Starbucks is right across the road and I deserved a treat for running 4 miles on a track at 6 AM (It’s still not cool enough for me to get a Pumpkin Spice, but it’s getting close…)

To feel sad when you realize you won’t be able to celebrate your birthday with coworkers this year since you work from home. Working from home has a ton of advantages, but I do miss birthday celebrations.

To be a little overwhelmed by financial planning. Clay and I met with an agent to plan for our retirements and things like life insurance, and it’s a little scary to see how much things will cost when we retire and how much money we need to put aside now for it.

To be thankful you’re in a place in life, at 26/27, where you can save for the future instead of paying off consumer debt or scraping to get by.

To avoid planning too much for a vacation. Clay and I are going on a cruise in November, and instead of obsessively planning and booking excursions like I usually do, I sorta think it would be more fun to wing it this time (we do have a hotel booked and insurance, of course).

To feel thankful for health insurance. I had some tests done last week and looked at the original cost… wowsers! And I thought having to pay the deductible was tough!

To want the election to end already! I’m so tired of the mudslinging and endless Facebook and Twitter posts about it.

To look forward to your afternoon walk and trip to get the mail each afternoon. It’s a nice mental break from work.

Other Fun Posts:

About these ads
This entry was posted in It's Okay Thursday, Weekend Fun and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Weekend Recap + It’s Okay Thursday (Sept. 20)

1. I love those it’s ok, especially the clear your mind walk!

Thanks girl, yeah since I work from home it’s like my daily workday outing, haha! Obviously I don’t go to lunch, but I usually go to run group before work or a group fitness class after so I get my socialization that way!

2. allieksmith says:

I am so ready for the election to end too. Does that make me a bad American?! LOL. Ah, still not pumpkin spice time for me either! Soon soon!! It’s still summer… for a few more days.

I like your idea of winging the excursions!

Definitely still summer here but feeling more and more like Fall each day. One of our other MPTC/BA coaches went to Starbucks this morning too and got pumpkin spice but I just couldn’t bring myself to it :). Fall will officially be here like Saturday so maybe then!

3. runwkate says:

I love ‘it’s ok’! I work from home too – I know what you mean :-(. But … totally worth it.

Nice job on the ten mile. A running group helps so much more than I ever realised before.

Yeah definitely, it’s so much fun training with everyone else. This is the first time I’ve ever trained for something with other people for a few days a week and it’s really helping with the accountability side of things!

4. I feel like Starbucks is totally warranted after a workout:)
    Occasional treats making working out that much sweeter.
    I love your football game pearls. Too fun.

5. Sarah says:

I’m so with you on being thankful for health insurance, my gosh tests are so pricey these days! Glad to get some updates on your life and looking forward to keeping up with those to come, tis good to be back to the blog world :)) Keep up the long runs!!!!!!

6. chasingthekenyans says:

i am also tired of the political FB posts. ugh. people, you’re not going to convince me to see your side of things!

health prices – suck. i am glad to have insurance but seriously, sometimes i want to walk back into the doc’s office and get in an argument. i got a bill once that was like hundreds of dollars (before insurance contributed) and the doctor’s office said it was a “level 3″ office visit. i asked what qualifies for level 3 and they said “either a prescription was written or MULTIPLE PROBLEMS WERE DISCUSSED”. i’m thinking to myself, this is going to encourage me to NOT open my mouth at the doctor because they’re going to tack on another $100 if i bring up an ache in my knee or an occasional cough, you know? ridiculous… (ok ending rant, sorry, ha)

also, dresses at football games are just not comfortable. :)

Yeah, I don’t think I’d be comfortable in a dress at a football game either. Not so much the dress, but mostly the shoes I’d have to wear with it… all that walking, I have to wear tennis shoes which would look horrible with a dress. And no way would I take shoes and change.

That’s crazy about the visit being a “Level III” visit because multiple problems were discussed. I mean seriously, at least you were asking then instead of making another appointment to take up more of the doc’s time?

7. Kara says:

I love a good long run (obviously!) And yes, financial planning is scary!! But glad to hear you’re doing it!!