JOGA- Yoga at Joe Riley Baseball Park

Last Friday, Teresa, Stephanie, and Mary traveled down from Florence to visit, and we all went to a huge yoga practice at the Joe P. Riley baseball stadium- home of the Charleston Riverdogs. Since we’re a football family, it was my first time at the stadium.

The event was sponsored by Lululemon, who just opened a store here in Charleston and had a huge yoga practice on King Street this summer when the store opened. I think their goal was 500 participants doing yoga in the outfield. I’m not sure if 500 people were there or not, but everyone who was there really enjoyed it. Fortunately, a nice breeze came through to cool us down a little. Yoga might not be “cardio”, but trust me, YOU WILL SWEAT.

I started doing yoga at the beginning of 2012 because I had a nagging hip issue and wanted a little break from running so much. I was getting burnt out, and during track season, I either ran, raced, or coached 5 days a week, so it was nice to have a day when I did yoga instead of any running related activities. Plus, I made tons of friends :).

Recently, I found this article about how yoga helps runners, but, even if you’re not a runner, yoga is great for relieving stress and just “calming down”. Definitely something I need with my Type A, ENTJ personality!

After our practice at the park, we headed over to Earth Fare for some shopping and a quick dinner before everyone headed back to Florence. Hopefully Lululemon sponsors another huge yoga event soon and they can come back down for it!

You might like…

About these ads
This entry was posted in Charleston SC, Friends, Weekend Fun, Yoga and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to JOGA- Yoga at Joe Riley Baseball Park

1. what a fun way to enjoy yoga! I want to go to Charleston so bad!

2. Rebecca says:

I have never attempted yoga; however, I’ve heard people say that it’s very relaxing and that I will enjoy it.

I guess the idea of everyone standing so close together, exercising like that, makes me feel nervous. I hope that one day I will get over my fear though. Because I do like people, but exercising with people has been hard for me.

Great post! :D

Yeah, I’m a little uncomfortable with that too… usually if you do yoga in a class at a studio, it’s not as packed. I guess because this was a big event, they tried to pack everyone close so they could hear. You should definitely try yoga, I bet you would like it. It’s very calming and relaxing but also great exercise, you will sweat and you will know you did something the next morning!

3. That looks like so much fun!

It really was! It wasn’t a “serious” yoga practice but that’s what made it fun, you could talk, move around, etc as you pleased. It was very positive and uplifting!

4. that last one is the CUTEST picture ever!! i luv it!! okay, so when i first read ur title, i thought Joga would somehow try to combine actual running with yoga…like, run a mile stop and do a pose. downward dog anyone?? :P

Haha, that sounds like a weird CrossFit style workout, LOL. Nah, I guess they just combined the name, Joe Riley Park (nicknamed “The Joe”) with yoga… but yeah, it was kind of a weird name for the event haha.

5. That looks like fun! I don’t think we have had any events around here like that but I will look for them!

6. allieksmith says:

Okay, this seriously looks like a ton of fun!!

7. Cool event Amy! I would love to do something like that, especially because I am much more into yoga these days (power vinyasa FTW) and like you said, it’s a great way to meet people!

8. So cool. I was actually in Lulu buying my favorite running crops today. I bought a Groupon for Yoga and am thinking that with my injury it will be a good bet. I tried it once and hated it because I have no balance, but am ready to give it another shot.

9. Ali Mc says:

I love yoga!!!!! I just recently discovered its benefits and I couldn’t agree more that it’s nice for runners :) I am also I ENFJ…I used to be and ENFS but becoming a mother made me turn into a ENFJ ;P lol

Yeah, I’ve read they change as you age, graduate, get married, become parents, etc, just as your life changes :). I’ve done lots of them and sometimes the two middle values are different for me too, but the E and J are always there, haha.

Yoga is so amazing for runners and everyone really!

10. I’ve always wanted to go to one of those huge yoga in the park kinds of events, they look like fun and a nice change from practicing at home or in a studio. I just did some yoga on Friday after neglecting it for awhile and it felt so good so I definitely need to remember to do it more often.