Florence Visits and It’s Okay Thursday

Hey guys and happy Thursday!

I’ve had a pretty eventful week so far. On Monday afternoon, I left Charleston to visit Florence and stay with my friend Susan so I could work in the office on Tuesday. I had to go to some meetings for my new job duties and also train my friend Kelli, who just moved from Tech Support to Technical Writing (congrats to her on the new job!).

When you work from home and visit the corporate office, you feel like a celebrity. Everyone wants to chat or go to lunch or hang out. The people who didn’t get to see you are disappointed, even if you’re only in town for a day and obviously can’t see everyone. People randomly stop by your desk to chat.

Eh, maybe that last one was the Trader Joe’s cookies I brought with me… yeah, I think people maybe just wanted those ;).

I had a great visit and got to see lots of people! My company has a Couch to 5K program on Monday nights, so since I was in town, I went out to support some of the beginners and walk/jog with them (everyone did a great job), then Susan, her husband Dan, and I had food from Mellow Mushroom that night for dinner. Kels and I went out for lunch on Tuesday, and on Tuesday afternoon, I went to Sweet with Nick and we hung out and ate cupcakes.

Sweet is the local cupcake shop and a popular hangout- it’s like the “Cheers” of Florence lately where everyone knows your name and is glad you came :). I had a peanut butter cupcake called “The Burris” which was really delicious, and I got an Elvis cupcake (banana, peanut butter fluff, and crumbled bacon on top) to bring home for Clay. He really liked it.

When I left Sweet, I went over to see my friend and fellow FTC coach Belinda (affectionately known as my Florence Track Mama) and hung out with her, her dogs, and her niece Kailey for about an hour before heading back to Charleston. Belinda has autographed pictures and books from lots of professional runners so it was super fun to look at the running stuff and catch up with her- since I can’t catch up her when actually running… hehe.

It’s Thursday, so I’m linking up with Brunch with Amber and A Complete Waste of Makeup for It’s Okay Thursday.

It's Okay

To love everyone’s First Day of School pictures on Facebook. Some of my friends who have kids in private schools posted pics of them this week, as well as some people who started at the local community college. I guess the first day of school never gets easier, whether you’re sending your 5 year old to kindergarten or your 18 year old to FDTC.

To pretty much live and die by my new Lilly Pulitzer planner. I don’t want a SmartPhone or an electronic planner- this one is much cuter! I got the mini planner and it fits perfectly in my purse. The first thing I did when I got it was write down all my Fall races as well as the Gamecocks football schedule, so I could plan accordingly (my half marathon falls on the off week- yay!).

To “awww” loudly when you pass the billboard on I-526 that shows baby pictures. It’s an advertisement for a local hospital (I don’t remember which one), and each day it changes to the cute newborn baby picture of the day. If I ever have kids, I want to have them there for the chance my child would appear on it, hehe.

To go to Starbucks after a Thursday morning track session in Mt. Pleasant. I’m pretty sure Starbucks was built beside the track for a reason, right? Specifically for my dark roast with skim milk fix after 4 miles of intervals!

To get addicted to watching “World’s Worst Tennants” with your husband. He DVRed the entire season and we’ve watched it almost every night this week. It’s hilarious trashy TV.

To feel a little apprehensive about my upcoming 10-miler on Saturday. I’m training for a half marathon, and this is our longest run yet. I ran 8 last Saturday and ran/walked 8 the Saturday before, but double digits are just scary.

To warn your family that you will run 10 miles before heading to the family reunion/birthday party on Saturday, so they need to provide extra food for your crazy runner’s appetite.

To be grateful for the 3 free music downloads per week that coming with having a Charleston County library card. Way to go for free yet legal downloads!

Q1.) Do you go to the public library? I went last week… checked out five books and found out about the free music downloads. Ours is really nice here and can get pretty much any book you want. It definitely saves money too.

Q2.) When was your last family reunion? I went to one last Fall with my mom, but we have one coming up on Saturday. Actually, it’s a birthday party for my uncle, who is turning 70. My aunt who organized family reunions passed away this summer, so I’m thinking this will sort of replace it this year.

Q3.) Did your parents take pictures on the first day of school? Or do you, if you have kids? I’ll probably do it when I have kids, because I love pictures, but I don’t remember my mom taking them. Still, she took enough pictures every other time to make up for it. She still has the camera she bought in the 80s to take pictures of me when I was a baby! I think the camera still works too.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Couch to 5K, Florence Fun, Friends, Half Marathon, It's Okay Thursday, Technical Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Florence Visits and It’s Okay Thursday

1. Nick says:

They need to have you come in once a month! Great hanging with you although it was only a short while. will def plan a trip this fall some time!

Thanks Nick :). I will come in whenever they want me too. Once a month would be totally fine by me *shrugs*. Depending on the day I may come back for my anniversary lunch, but I don’t know when it is yet.

2. Rebecca says:

Hey Amy! :)

I did It’s Okay Thursday today as well. It’s been awhile!

Wow. 10 miles is a lot! I’ll be rooting for you. I know you can do it. Hey, I’m getting more serious about finding a gym to join around here. But I need to wait until after my friend’s wedding, because finances aren’t working outt for it right now. But I’m thankful for the

• Rebecca says:

exercises I have done lately. I’ve started doing jumping jacks and sit-ups this week, and even though it makes me sore right now, I’m loving the results I’ll eventually see. And of course, I’m still taking my walks and trying to get some running in, or whatever running I can do right now. I need to get better workout shoes when I come back!

Have fun at your family reunion!

• Rebecca says:

Oh, and to answer your question… my family is big on pictures! And was big on them growing up. Birth, birthdays, vacations, anniversaries, first day of school, holidays, etc. You name it… we have a photo for it! :D

And my family doesn’t really do family reunions. I mean, for Christmas every year my some of my dad’s side of the family gets together. But my mom’s side of the family is a little hard to come by. Long story.

And yes, I go to my public library. That’s how I get my wi-fi usually, or I use the computers there. :)

Yup, free wifi is another amazing benefit of the public library. Also ours has great movies, but we have movie channels, direct tv, and netflix, so I don’t really rent movies anyway. I’m glad the working out is going well for you, definitely get new shoes when you can, that’s more important than a gym membership anyway.

I don’t know if you have one there or not but here we have a gym called Planet Fitness and it’s only like $10 a month, so if you have that it’s definitely the budget friendly gym (it’s not the nicest gym in the world, but $10 a month is pretty cheap and I have some friends who are members there).

3. allieksmith says:

I saw “World’s Worst Tennants” on the TV guide but didn’t watch it.. now I totally regret my decision. Especially because I watched a gross shark week episode and I usually love all shark week episodes LOL. Anyways… I’m glad you got to visit Florence and a Starbucks next to a track sounds like HEAVEN!!

4. Mar says:

I live in my lilly planner too! Have a happy Thursday and be sure to check out my giveaway ending tonight!. BTW I cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog!

5. You are going to dominate that race, don’t worry about it!

The actual race isn’t until November, so hopefully being able to run 10 miles in the August heat will make running 13.1 in November seem like a breeze… literally!

6. Sean Newell says:

I wanted to give you a big “THANKS” for giving Lisa some encouragement at the ACS C25K class on Monday. It means alot to the both of us and I know with continued encouragment, practice and effort she will start to see what we all know that she is capeable of .
    I think its safe to say that you shouldnt have to much problem with the 1/2 Marathon in November. I wish my first 1/2 was on a different day so I could run with you….well more like way behind you. I know what you mean about double digits but I used to think the same thing about single digits about a year ago so if I can push it with some training and go the distance I know you can.

You and Lisa are both super capable *and* inspirational. It really says a lot about your character that you both are willing to get out and do the runs, in this heat, sometimes on your own. With the training you’re doing, Lisa will succeed in the 5K and you will succeed in the half (especially if you’re already up to 8 miles).

Savannah will be awesome and even though I won’t be there, tons of people from my running club will be, you never know you might meet some of them! Plus it would be good for a first race because you won’t be alone on it, there are tons of people and paces. The local half marathons in Florence, you pretty much run alone much of the time, but in Savannah you will have a lot of people around you and a great race atmosphere to push you :).

7. lindsay says:

i go to the library too – except most recently i forgot to take my books back on time and now i owe a late fee. but, since the fees are still only like $0.10 a week it’s manageable, ha.

8. That Sweets place sounds like such a store to hang out at… and nice job on the cupcake choice, I concur with the flavors you chose :)
    I am sure the Starbucks inside the track was set up like that for a reason haha… it would definitely suck me in when I was finished with my run! 4 miles of intervals?! Awesome job Amy! It is indeed okay to be nervous for the 10 mile run, but you are obviously going to rock it, good luck deary :)

9. Kara says:

I love Mellow Mushroom! I ate there in Georgia once and it was sooo good! That planner looks so cute, I am obsessed with calendars. I don’t like using my phone or computer either, I enjoy writing everything down :) I don’t know why, haha. Can’t wait to hear about your 10-miler!!!

I like writing things down too. I guess because I’m always using a computer, it’s just fun to actually write something by hand when I can? Mellow Mushroom is delicious, we have it here in Charleston but it’s harder to park and get to, so I like to go when I’m in Florence!

10. I have a feeling I’m going to be addicted to Starbucks soon–my new apartment is a block or two away from one, so I’m going to be refilling my card for maximum usage!

Good luck with the half marathon training! I’m sure it’s really exciting, even if it’s kinda scary too.

11. Wow you were busy. Your blog made me hungry now I want cupcakes and Mellow Mushroom!