Lowcountry living through a camera lens…

Hey guys! After getting up early Sunday to get my morning newspaper, I decided to drive around town and take some pictures for the blog. I haven’t posted that many Charleston pictures since moving here, so I wanted to do a post on the sights of West Ashley just to show you guys what it looks like over here. I hope you guys enjoy them!

Charleston 9 Memorial

The first place I went for pictures was the Charleston 9 Memorial. It’s a local memorial in honor of 9 firefighters who died in 2007 in a Sofa Super Store furniture store fire. The memorial opened a few weeks ago with a big dedication. It’s in a nice little park off a main road here in town and does a great job of honoring those who passed away.

There are markers for each firefighter who lost his life.

Sign outside the park.

I liked the statue.

These are actual pieces found after the fire.

Avondale Art

My next stop was the Avondale area of West Ashley, where I took pictures of the murals. Aren’t they awesome?

Hippiness… and the top of a recycling bin.

Hippie looking mural.

She looks pretty cool.

People here really like cows!

Thrift store… and a mermaid.

These ladies got “reinvented” by shopping at the upscale resale store, hehe.

Comic mural!

I think this is supposed to be the road splitting. It’s pretty neat.

Avondale Places

Avondale has lots of specialty boutiques. Since it was Sunday morning, I didn’t go inside, but they are pretty nifty.

Notice the Charleston 9 flag underneath the American flag in the pic.

The Roost is a University of South Carolina Gamecock themed bar and grill. Maybe Clay and I will go here during football season!

Art studio and gallery. Can’t wait to paint here.

Mellow Mushroom! This was one of my favorite places in Florence. I like the Florence one better too- it has better parking and I liked the food better.

Triangle Char-N-Bar. My friend Erin and I went there Saturday. They serve grass-fed beef burgers and drinks out on the deck.

The Coburg Cow

The Coburg Cow deserves his own section! He’s a local landmark, and people use him for directions (think “About 4 blocks from the cow”). According to my friend Damien, who’s lived here all his life except for college at FMU, the Coburg dairy was bought out by another dairy, but residents protested to keep the sign. Of course, there’s also a sign on the cow that says not to climb or ride on him, and he is decorated for holidays such as Independence Day.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Avondale/West Ashley, Charleston SC and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Lowcountry living through a camera lens…

1. I have been to charleston but never this part, it looks beautiful!

2. allieksmith says:

How awesome that you took pictures of your new living area! I think it is slowly becoming “yours” if that makes sense! :)

Yeah, it kinda is becoming like home, I guess. I lived in Florence for 9 years, so it will have a special place in my heart no matter what, but it’s really nice down here so far!

3. KrisLawrence says:

Gorgeous! Such a great area. I am glad you are enjoying it!

4. Looks like an awesome time and am loving all the photos. I’m glad you are enjoying down there and pretty soon it will feel like home sweet home. :-)

5. What a great idea Amy! A good way for you to get out there and take in your town as much as possible, plus I truly love to get a glimpse of the new area too :)

Yeah, it was. I probably wouldn’t have visited that memorial if I hadn’t wanted to stop and take pictures. And it made me pay a little more attention to the art too.

6. Kara says:

Hahaha. “About four blocks from the cow”. That cracks me up! Love the photos, I really enjoy getting tours of other towns I’ve never been to :) The murals are funny!

They change out the cow too! My friend told me this morning that occasionally they put up ones with spots or without and they have an “eggnog cow” for the holidays. It’s a cool local landmark. The grocery store I shop at is beside the cow so I’ve started referring to it as that too.

7. chasingthekenyans says:

You certainly went looking at interesting things! Haven’t seen most of these myself but like others I tend to stick to the main parts of charleston / mtp / IOP… Etc. maybe one of these days you will get to show me around the local dives :)