Restful Weekend Recap, Last Summer on Earth, and Marvelous in my Monday

Happy Monday!

Despite not running this morning (I will get to the details soon), I feel like I hit the ground running at work and it’s been a pretty productive morning so far. As always, I’m jamming out to 90s Hits while working and taking the occasional dance break when a goofy pop song comes on.

So, I took the weekend off running. After running the Ebenezer Miles for Missions 12K in February, I started having hip pain. I took some down time to focus on cross training like weights and yoga, and a few months later, the pain was totally subsided and I upped my mileage again.

Coworkers and I at the Ebenezer Miles for Missions race back in February. I won a kickin’ coffee mug as 2nd place female!

Thursday, I planned a speed workout for myself- 1/2 mile warm up, then intervals of 2 minutes hard, 1 minute recovery. I got through 20 minutes of the workout, then took a 2 minute break before tackling short intervals, and I couldn’t get started again. My left hip was in *pain*.

I did the smart thing and walked a little to cooldown, foam rolled, and left the gym. You can run through discomfort, but it’s not a smart idea to run through pain. I did yoga on Friday, then took complete rest days on Saturday and Sunday. As much as I missed my group run peeps, I thought about what I’d tell the track kids I coached if they were in the situation- no way would I let them run through pain!

Fortunately, my hip is feeling *much* better this morning, so I’ll either run this evening or tomorrow morning. I’d much rather take a few days off from my half marathon training early than risk getting injured and not being able to run another half.

My weekend didn’t involve running, but it did involve a concert! Clay and I went to the Last Summer on Earth Tour, which featured Barenaked Ladies, Blues Traveler, Cracker, and Big Head Todd and the Monsters. The first two are 90s bands and why we went- almost everyone in the audience was a child of the 90s too. The concert crowd was pretty big and everyone was definitely pumped for it.

We had a great time and the weather was amazing with the nice breeze. Clay and I love 90s music and had an awesome time singing along and reliving our childhoods, hehe. Definitely the highlight of our weekend.

Blues Traveler! He’s so talented on the harmonica.

Today, I’m linking up with The Healthy Diva Eats for Marvelous in My Monday. I discovered this linkup on Alex’s blog, but it’s brand new to me.

Since I obviously fell for the post-weekend positivity, here goes:

Marvelous… On Sunday afternoon, I drove to the mall by myself. It was my first time driving there and involved two interstates and some traffic, so I’m sorta proud of myself. I bought a pair of yoga pants at Hollister and a cup of coffee from Gloria Jean’s (best mall coffee shop ever).

Marvelous… Watching movies with Clay. On Sunday night, we watched The Help. It was a great movie- thank goodness for DVR so we can pick and choose what to watch and when to watch it.

Marvelous… Having a place to store my clothes! One of my dressers broke during our move, so after getting paid on Friday, I bought a new dresser and my cousin Matt helped me get it home. It’s now upstairs in the office/spare bedroom, and all my clothes are off the bed. This means the guest bedroom is officially ready for visitors… hint hint!

Marvelous… Getting two tickets done at work before 9 AM. Work from home productivity at it’s finest.

Marvelous… Sleeping in on Sunday morning, then lounging around in my pajamas and watching Soul Surfer (another great movie). Nothing like an inspirational, active movie to substitute for your usual run, right?

Marvelous… Surprise phone calls from friends. My buddy Nick called on Thursday night and we talked for almost thirty minutes! Texting and facebook are great, but it’s awesome to hear a friend’s voice too.

Watching the Once Upon a Time finale at Nick’s place- miss these guys!

Q1.) Tell me a fun highlight from your weekend!

Q2.) What’s the last concert you went to?

Q3.) Have you watched any cool movies lately? Do you DVR movies to watch when you have time?

About these ads
This entry was posted in Back of the Pack, Marvelous in my Monday and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Restful Weekend Recap, Last Summer on Earth, and Marvelous in my Monday

1. I am sorry about your hip but so happy to hear you are staying smart about it. hope it continues to feel better. looks like a wonderful weekend overall!

Yup it was a great weekend, definitely not overdoing it with the hip either. As much as sitting around sucks, I’d rather do it now than end up seriously injured.

2. ladycoop says:

Glad your hip is doing better!

1) I went shopping and got a high. LOL Found some GREAT sales and paid almost nothing for a ton of clothes.
    2) John Legend at the Houston Rodeo
    3) movie- I watched 21 Jump Street. SO funny, alot of language though.

Yeah, it’s definitely feeling a bit better each day. I’m not sure if I’ll run today or just cross train.

I love sales! There were quite a few good ones at the mall, but I’m holding off on buying clothes because I have too much already!

3. Cori says:

I’m sorry about your hip pain! I’m sure a little rest was needed. I probably would have loved that concert. I love 90s music!

Q1.) Tell me a fun highlight from your weekend!
    Spending time with the little girl my mom nannies for. She’s so much fun!

Q2.) What’s the last concert you went to?
    Honestly, I haven’t been to a concert since 2005. Yes, that’s sad!

J and I watched Think Like A Man while we were in Atlanta. It was pretty funny! We watched it on his iPad. I do enjoy recording movies to watch when I have time. That’s if I have enough DVR space, haha! Mine’s usually always full.

Haha I’m surprised our DVR isn’t full. We love that thing, this is the first time we’ve had it. Now if only DirecTV will get the Viacom channels back… grrr…

Spending the weekend with kids always makes for a nice time!

4. allieksmith says:

Yay for being able to have visitors.. That’s awesome !!

You are so smart for waiting on running instead of injuring yourself further.

I loved The Help as well.. Good book, good movie!

5. highlight from my weekend was def my birthday ;)

6. Patty says:

I hope your hip is doing better!! And love love having visitors!! Hope its fun!!

7. Rebecca says:

Hello, Amy!

Glad your hip has improved! Nice picture from back in February. I believe I remember that exact blog post of yours from that race. :)

I like going to the mall myself. It’s nice. Of course, there’s none in my area, so now I have to actually make plans for a little road trip (like what I did today for example!), and sometimes I do enjoy going with people. :)

Wow! That sounds like a nice concert! I love it when the radio plays Nsync, Backstreet Boys, etc. And, I know it’s not a 90s hit, but there’s a newer song out now. “You don’t know your beautiful”, and I forget the group that sings it, but listening to it excites me and brings me back to my Nsync days.

1. Well… I worked. Burnt myself. Cut myself (by accident) at work…. ummm. I’m trying to remember what else I did this weekend.
    Oh! On Friday, I went to pick up my parents so that they could get their new motor home. Well, it’s used, but new to them. My dad will retire in 2014, I think, so my parents are already planning their funness for that. They’ll be testing out the new motor home within the next several months. :)
    2. My last concert? Sonfest, back in 2010 at my college MVNU. I don’t get out much in that department. :P
    3. Well, I DVR´ed movies at my parents house since they have Direct TV. That’s how I watched most of my Lifetime movies. :)
    But now that I’m in my apartment, I have no cable (out of my budget for now!), so I rent DVDS from the library for free, or I rent from Blockbuster or Family Video where it’s 99 cents per day at Blockbuster, or 1$ or so for a week at Fam Vid.
    And I’m fine without cable. I have my 7th heaven, degrassi and Lizzie Mcguire season sets, since I don’t watch much TV outside of those shows. And I love movies anyway!

And Soul Surfer is a WONDERFUL movie! :D

8. Kara says:

Your weekend sounds so fun :)

STUPID HIP! I always have to remind myself to take care of myself NOW so I can run in the future. No use continuing to run when in pain! I’m glad you stopped when you needed to.

The last concert I went to was Dave Matthews Band! Yours sounds fun too!

9. Patty says:

Oh!! I’m glad your hip is feeling better!! I hope it stays that way!!

10. oh man, sorry about the hip! but kudos for u in doing the smart move and now keep spooning with that foam roller. ;) i’ll be sending all my fast healing vibes ur way!! dang, at least u got to rock out to a fun concert to take ur mind off it!

11. Oh goodness Amy I am so sorry to hear about your hip… but the fact that you are being safe about it is fantastic and I am proud of you for that!
    Glad you had a nice weekend, and yay for a concert! The last one I went to was to see Dispatch back in 2007, so it’s been quite awhile