Partying at the Park

Hey guys and happy Thursday! Let’s recap this week’s happenings…

• Clay is loving his grill so far. Last night, he grilled burgers and portobello for me. That portobello sandwich sure tasted good after I busted it out in my Body Pump class. Of course, this morning reminded me that I’m a runner who has little upper body strength…
  • My Florence Track Club kiddos were in the newspaper for their accomplishments at the USATF State Meet- they broke five state records and 42 club records. Thanks to my friend and rockstar runner Susan for cutting out the article and mailing it to me.
  • My mommy has been sick with a cold and fever that won’t go away, and one of my friends back home broke her foot and is on crutches and can’t run. It stinks when you can’t physically be there for people when they’re down and out.
  • I had to buy a new car battery this week and get a headlight fixed, so between that and purchasing a grill, I cannot wait to get paid again.
  • I signed up for the TrySports half marathon training program. I debated between that and the full program since there’s a full here in January, but I decided on the advanced half program because it trains you for a half in November, and I figure I can build my mileage up more in two months if I want to do the full.

Now, let’s talk about some fun stuff.

On Tuesday night, I went to Party at the Park with my college friend Monica and some of her friends. Monica and I met on our first day of freshman orientation at Francis Marion University where we were both Pre-Pharmacy majors. Neither of us graduated with that degree (college-bound peeps, it’s totally okay to change your mind!), but we’ve remained friends even nine years later. It’s been nine years since my freshman year of college? *Que old feeling*.

Party at the Park is a local concert series that a country music radio station here puts on every Tuesday night in the summer. Have I mentioned that it’s so cool they do this on *Tuesday*? I’m not accustomed to having things like this to do on weeknights, so it’s neat that there’s something to do almost every night here.

I’m not really into country music, so I didn’t know any of the performers and only knew one song, but it was fun and everyone was really good.

We also grilled burgers, hot dogs, and wings at Monica’s apartment before the concert. I got some really delicious veggie burgers at Whole Foods (my first trip to one- I was amazed) and they were quite tasty. The weather was gorgeous and perfect- super cool with the breeze from the ocean, plus it was fun hanging out with a big group.

I’m definitely going back to the park and hopefully more concerts like this- Monica is moving to Tennessee soon, so I’m really glad we got to hang out while we still can :).

Q1.) When was the last time you went to an outdoor concert or event? This was Tuesday night, but I hope to make it out to a few more things like this over the summer!

Q2.) Have you ever done any sort of group workout or training program? Did you like it? This TrySports program is the first I’ve done since I did CrossFit with my company last year, I’m hoping to make some new friends in town by doing it. I liked doing CrossFit and got to know some of my coworkers better that way, too. I was also on our now non-existant company softball team for one season, but I suck at ball sports so we won’t go there…

Q3.) What’s your favorite grilled food? I really like grilled portobello mushrooms in served buns like burgers…

About these ads
This entry was posted in Charleston SC, Florence Track Club, FMU, Friends, Summer Fun and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Partying at the Park

1. Colea Coker says:

I’m so glad you’re adapting to your new city and life so quickly and have friends there to do things with you. As much as I hate not having you here, I’m glad to know you are doing so well. HUGS!!

Thanks Colea! I will definitely see you when you come down to do the Bridge Run, though. You should also think about the Charleston half marathon or Kiawah, if you want to do another half. I’m thinking I will do the Run Like a Nut half too, so if you do one of those races, I’ll see you there.

Hope you got your card! I miss my running partner!

• Colea Coker says:

I’m so sorry – I did and I meant to let you know I got the card and say thank you. That was so sweet. I miss you too!!!!!

2. Awe you really are adapting so quickly! Glad you are having a good time. I haven’t been to an outdoor concert in ages but I’m really excited to go to the Fleetwood Mac concert in a couple of weeks!

3. I am just so impressed everyday by your willingness to try new things in your new environment.

Thanks- I know that’s what it takes to get to know people and form relationships, especially working from home, I don’t exactly have a ready-made social circle of coworkers. It’s pushing me out of my comfort zone, but so far, so good.

4. Kara says:

When I was in college we had community running workouts every Mon/Wed/Fri (I think) at the school’s football stadium. IT WAS AWESOME. I miss that so much! I agree with Alex though, it’s so great and admirable that you are jumping right in to your new community. Love it!!

PS I love grilled shrimp the best. And mushrooms too!

That’s so awesome that you guys had that at your college. I wish mine had something like that, we only had intramural sports and they weren’t even that popular (my school was basically a commuter college though).

Grilled shrimp are tasty… will have to give some hints to Clay :)

5. Rebecca says:

Hello, Amy! :)

I am glad that Clay enjoys his grill.

Wow, it looks like Party in the Park is so much fun! Every Tuesday evening in the summer, huh? That is nice. Yeah, I like country music, but I don’t *adore* it as much as I did in middle school. Back in 7th grade, I would MOSTLY listen to Shania Twain, Martina McBride, Alan Jackson, etc. with some Nsync and Britney Spears. But now I listen to more variety.

1.. the last outdoor concert was… Sonfest in fall 2010 at MVNU my senior year. I volunteered for the “trash pickup” crew. Haha. :) I did that my junior year, too.
    And can’t think of anything after that. I don’t get out much, as you can see. ;)

2. Nope. I’ve always done my own thing for exercising. I may consider it though. :)

3. Oh, you’re talking to a girl who loves meat! Especially from the grill. :) I love grilled chicken, steak, burgers, and hot dogs every now and then.

• Rebecca says:

Oh, and I forgot to say… shrimp. And salmon. I haven’t been able to order or buy salmon lately, but I miss it. It’s so good for you. The only problem is… salmon is not filling. :( I eat it with veggies and potatoes, and I’m still hungry. :P

Yeah, seafood can get pricey! Clay bought some salmon buy one get one free a few weeks ago so I think we’ll grill it soon. That’s the good thing about being close to the coast, the seafood is fresh and cheaper.

I remember you telling me about SonFest and the outdoor concerts you guys had in college, I was super jealous that Christian bands came to your college to perform- almost no one really came to my college to perform at all, let alone anyone people would actually know (sometimes they had student bands though). I do like a few country songs and I’m getting a little more into it now that I moved here.

6. DANG!!! u are seriously the fastest person to completely hit a new town and make it look like u’ve lived there forever….sooo happy for u!! looks like u’ve been up to plenty fun, and CONGRATS on ur kiddies breaking all them records, and u kno u had more than a bit of a hand in that one! errr, maybe a foot?? jk. okay, i luv me my portobello burgers too! :)

Hehe, yeah I agree, I had more than a hand in them breaking records :). They are an awesome group of kids all around though, but they do have some great coaches.

7. That’s so exciting that you went to Whole Foods for the first time! It’s become my favorite store because it’s just so amazing and huge–I end up buying a new-to-me product almost every time. Veggie burgers are my favorite thing to grill, especially homemade kinds, but I have yet to try making my own portobello burger at home. I’ve loved them when I’ve gotten them at restaurants so I really want to make one myself!

You should definitely try it :). I actually made my own veggie burgers once, using black beans and spinach. They were okay, I’d really just rather have restaurant or store bought, honestly. Grilled portobellos are delicious, you would really like them!

I think you could go to Whole Foods every day and try a new-to-you food and never run out of things to try.

8. i change majors 4 times :) totally normal. i was thinking recently how it’s been 10 yrs since my freshman year!! i feel so old! 10 years ago i was getting ready to go ‘off’ to college… crazy.

Yup, 9 years ago I was getting ready for college. Makes me feel old too! I guess my class reunion will be next year, although I highly doubt I attend.