It’s Okay Thursday- Sunburn Streaks and Trashy Tracks

Hey guys! I hope everyone’s having a good week so far.

It’s sunny and hot here in Charleston- perfect for going to the beach, but I’ve been really busy with an upgrade for work this week (I actually have to work tonight, from 8-12, but I work from home so at least that’s one advantage).

I’ve had a busy week with something fun on the calendar each night! On Monday, I did speedwork with a running group here (different group than the one I ran with on Sunday).

We ran 400s with 200 recovery and it was fun meeting other new runners and some others who are new in town, but I think we’re going to find another track to run. The track where we met was the worst track ever- there were ants all over the place (we couldn’t put our water bottles on the ground so sitting in the grass was OUT), kids were biking on the track, and worst of all, there was a designated smoking area. No lie- two benches were sitting beside the track with a sign that said “Smoking Area”.

Gotta say… you didn’t smoke at the Florence track. You also said ma’am and sir, picked up your trash, and no matter what, you never, ever, EVER, climbed over a fence.

Last night, Clay’s job hosted a party for their employees, complete with free cupcakes, free food, free beer, and arcade games, so he stayed at work late (I don’t blame him- what a great treat for your employees, they got it from working overtime a few weeks ago to finish a project). I went running with a group from The Foot Store and met a guy named Stephen Pifer who is a 1500 runner participating in the Olympic trials next week. He’s a travelling professional athlete for Newton Running, and he spoke about nutrition, training, and showed us some leg exercises.

After his presentation, five of us went out for a run on the Isle of Palms connector and talked- we even saw dolphins jumping in the water on our way back. I love having local running stores that sponsor things like this, it’s a great way to get to know people and also explore my new town. I guess I should’ve taken some pics, but I forgot my camera in the car.

So, since I haven’t done this in awhile, I’m linking up with A Complete Waste of Makeup for It’s Okay Thursday.

It's Okay

• To blast 90s Hits in your spare bedroom/office and randomly get up and dance to the music during your workday. The songs remind me of my childhood and teenage years, so this is what I listen to when I work.

• To love seeing what my husband is wearing to work each day. He dresses so nice for work. I’m glad I don’t have to match my husband’s clothes for him like I’ve heard other wives have to do.
  • To have a weird red sunburn streak on your back because you wore a low-cut bikini bottom. I don’t usually burn, but I laid by the pool the other day and got this… streak. It’s a little painful to sleep on my back because it’s right where my pajama bottoms hit!

• To be excited about the group fitness summer kickoff party at the gym tonight and the Italian food that goes along with it (okay, so maybe I’m a little more excited about the Italian food…)
  • To feel sad that you didn’t get to see your dad or your father-in-law on Father’s Day.
  • To plan outfits for lunches and networking events since you rarely get dressed in anything but shorts and t-shirts now.

• To look forward to checking the mail each day and mailing cards and notes to people.

Q1.) Where’s the craziest place you’ve gotten sunburn? Mine is a tie between this streak on my back, along with the time I burnt on the top of my head where my hair was parted!

Q2.) What do you usually wear during the summer when you’re not in school? As for me… my daily uniform is now snarky t-shirts and workout shorts or khaki shorts.

Q3.) Do you check the mail each day? Gotten anything cool in the mail lately? I do, partly because it runs around 2:00 here and I can get out for a little walk around the block- but I haven’t gotten any fun mail at my new residence yet.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Charleston SC, It's Okay Thursday, Running Clubs and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to It’s Okay Thursday- Sunburn Streaks and Trashy Tracks

1. Gosh you have really hit your groove, I love hearing about it. Free food anyday is great! I am a huge fan of many of your loves… including being sad that you weren’t with your dad, seeing your husband go off to work each day and be excited about a group fitness class. Way to go! ps. who the freak smokes at a track, I would take that from them!

Even though a lot of people were using the track (including for non-track purposes, like biking and skating), I’m thankful no one was utilizing the smoking area…

2. Amanda says:

Q1.) My visor slipped down during band camp one summer and I had a nice red line across my forehead right under my hairline.

Q2.) I like capris and it gets pretty hot in my part of california, so tank tops and flip flops are great.

Q3.) The mail is the highlight of my day, mostly when I’m waiting for magazines. Other than that I don’t get very much special mail. I did get my skater socks that I won on another blog this past week. That made me smile :) and a huge box of chobani yogurt from the same blog a month ago.

3. ladycoop says:

1) a small spot right above my elbow. I put lotion on the top of my forearms and my shirt covered most of my upper arm. :/
    2) Jeans, shorts, tees, flip flops or cute sandals.
    3) I check the mail everyday at the house and then about 3 times a week for my PO box (where my real mail goes)

Any patchy sunburn is definitely worse than it just hurting all over.

I mostly just check the mail so I can walk to the box, we don’t actually get so much mail that I need to check it each day, lol.

4. Kara says:

Haha I hate wasting good outfit! And I always get sunburnt, it’s bad! I’ve gotten much better about sunscreen lately, though. I try to think about my future self. Future Kara doesn’t want skin cancer!! :)

That’s funny about the differences between the different tracks. A SMOKING area?!?! That’s nonsense!!

I’m pretty good about sunscreen on my face, but I like to be tan. I guess I should be better about it, since my mom had melanoma, but I don’t lay out a whole ton. Most of my sun exposure is just natural from being outside and running. I will say the sun is strong here in SC, though.

Yeah, the track Monday was a complete change from the one I went to on Sunday, which was really nice! But regardless of what happens, it’s always nice to find new places here, drive around, find new roads, meet new people.

5. KrisLawrence says:

Sounds like you are fitting into the new town really well! Yeay for working at home!

During the summer I wear either a sundress because its easy peasy or Nike tempo shorts and a Target tank top. It’s seriously either one or the other 99% of the time, ha.

6. Since I am not in school I am like you and wear shorts and t-shirts usually except for during my swimming lessons. I will be getting a free 11×14 print for free from Shutterfly in the mail soon. The craziest place I got sunburned was on the middle of my back in about a 2 in. length space. I got burned so bad that it actually scarred a little bit. It sounds like you are loving your new town! Glad ya’ll got the move finished and done!

That’s cool that you get a free picture in the mail, definitely something to look forward to. I certainly hope my sunburn will not scar, really sorry to hear yours did, that must have been *painful*!

• It is not to bad. My tan that I usually get during the summer is helping quite a bit with covering it up! Yours is probably not that bad. I love the bullfrog suntan lotion. It is one of the best (and most pricey) that I have ever used!

7. shannonjoe says:

I got a little sunburned this past Wednesday, but it never hurt. Thank goodness. :)

Sounds like you are having a blast in your new life already! Good for you!

I wish there was a running group close to me-the nearest one is 1 hour away!

Shannon

8. dang girl, way to get ur 400’s on. :) okay, smoking is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine!! i hold my breathe and cough around people sometimes just to send a not subtle cue. :P and smoking around a track is major taboo…get this, i one saw a guy smoking on the starting line of a race! he stomped out his butt right before the gun went off and then started running…seriously??

That’s so nasty! Clay and I have seen people smoking after 5K races before and one of my friends has actually seen people smoking at one of those Rock and Roll marathons she did, icky. Why smoke at a healthy event like that? Don’t blame you for your subtle cue… I don’t have a problem with smokers or smoking, just don’t think it belongs at a race or track event… anyway.

9. I can’t remember ever getting a weird sunburn but one summer I got the worst burn ever on my back. The sunburn ended up turning into huge blisters and made it so hard to sleep! Now I know to be more careful when I lie out so that doesn’t happen again!

I get way too excited about the mail, especially when I’m expecting something like a magazine or package. But usually I end up disappointed because the delivery ends up being delayed by a day and I get excited for nothing.

Yeah, definitely be careful! Mine has gone in a bit, but the sun is definitely pretty strong here.

I hate when I’m expecting something in the mail and it’s a day late! I obsessively track packages online too, best technology ever :)

10. allieksmith says:

A designated smoking area on te track?! What is up with that?! Lol. I like that 90’s kid picture :)

11. i wish i could wear workout clothes always. after being on vacation last week it was hard to get up and get dressed in “real” clothes for work today! :)

It’s going to be super hard for me to start wearing actual clothes again if I go to work in an office one day. It’s not so hard getting dressed to go out somewhere, because it’s summer so a t-shirt and shorts pretty much goes, but still.

I had to put on real clothes Friday to go to a lunch with some of Clay’s coworkers and I kinda liked dressing up, but that’s because it was the first time I’d worn pants in 3 weeks… LOL. Nike shorts are my official work uniform!