Happy trails until we meet again (National Trails Day 5K)

Hey guys! Anyone miss me this week while I’ve been packing and spazzing out like a crazy person? Actually I’ve been extremely busy with work, coaching track, throwing, giving away, and selling stuff online, and packing for the move, so I really haven’t had much blog time until now.

Yesterday I ran my last Florence race for awhile- the National Trails Day 5K at McLeod Health and Fitness Center.

With all the stress, I haven’t been resting like I should or eating a healthy diet. For example, I went back to work after track on Thursday night. I usually eat dinner when I get home from track, but instead, I ended up polishing off a bag of potato chips at my desk at work. I don’t even like potato chips, but I guess running, coaching, and then going to work messed up my routine and I went for the only thing available- which wasn’t healthy. I didn’t sleep too great that night either… or the night before, err, you get the picture.

Friday night- the night before this race- I went to a friend’s house for a going away get together and we ate Papa John’s pizza and S’mores ice cream. Yeah… definitely don’t recommend eating that pre-race, but I’d rather risk having a not-so-stellar race than miss out on hangout time with friends. We had a great time eating pizza and chatting!

Reppin’ my Fitness World Run Club hat- I’ll represent after I move, too!

What I’m saying is- if you put junk into your body, you can expect a junky run. It’s just like ¬†getting bad gas in your car- and if you don’t put enough fuel in your body, don’t get surprised when it “breaks down” on the road during a run.

The Start and Finish lines always hold you accountable for how you treat your body.

Running Club Peeps!

My finish time wasn’t great- I started out way too fast. The race was more about seeing all my running buddies one last time and hanging out than winning an award or running a personal record. I know that once I’m settled in Charleston, trained, rested, nourished, and less stressed, I’ll be able to run faster times. Finish times reflect more than numbers on a clock, and stress is definitely a factor.

But, any race is a nice break from packing and cleaning, and I really enjoyed myself! Over 100 people ran, including some track kiddos, Fitness World running club peeps, and my awesome friend Tiffany who hasn’t run a 5K race in *forever*. She planned her “comeback” so we could run one last Florence race together, until I return to visit of course ;).

Clay says this picture looks like Barney threw up with all the purple, but we love our purple! I look like a little child though!

Becky and I! Gonna miss seeing her on afternoon runs and in races.

My awesome yoga friend Stephanie and I!

Track kiddos represented today too. They’re all going to run amazing times at the USATF State Finals meet next Saturday, and I hate that I can’t be there. I’ll definitely see them at the Charleston area cross country meets next Fall, though. Even if I’m coaching for another team, I’ll still be super proud of the Florence Track Club kiddos- there’s something special about the first team you coach.

Ivan is one of my faves. Way to go on his 24 minute 5K. Bet he’ll be taller than me by the end of the XC season next Fall, too.

After the race, I came home, showered, and packed and cleaned pretty much all day. Then, Clay and I had one last Saturday date night in Florence; we went to Thai House for curry and shared a baklava sundae from Sundae House. No way would we move without one last baklava sundae!

Love this quote.

Clay starts his new programming job on Monday morning. He’s staying in Charleston with a friend for a few days until Friday when we officially move down. We still have tons to pack and clean and will probably come back on Saturday to clean the carpet in the apartment and move the last few things. I’ll blog again before we leave, but then posts will be sporadic until we’re unpacked and the internet is hooked up at our new home. Of course, I’ll have posts after we get settled!

Here’s to more running buddies, new courses to test out, and running race numbers to add to the wall- but never forgetting my Florence friends!

Last Florence race before moving… but not forever.

About these ads
This entry was posted in 5Ks, Coaching, Race Recaps, Running Clubs and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Happy trails until we meet again (National Trails Day 5K)

1. krisranhere says:

I didn’t even know there was a National Trails Day. I love the idea of writing memories on your bib. I have never seen that before and it’s super clever. Take it easy and enjoy Charleston!! I lived there for a year and it was a blast!

I didn’t know there was a National Trails Day either until I saw this race, LOL. I know a few runners who write on bibs, normally I don’t write this much, though. I’m gonna take it easy with working out for the next week or so and get back into it when I get settled in, can’t wait to find a race to participate in!

2. allieksmith says:

I have a feeling Clay is really funny (referring to the Barney comment haha!) I love that you wrote things on your bib.. so smart!!! :)

Haha, yeah he is pretty funny. I always write the race name, date, and my time on my bibs. Also the pace and if I win anything. But this one I obviously wrote a little more, hehe. I had them all up on my cubicle wall at work, but now I’ll probably put them up at my new home in my office/spare room somewhere.

3. I also enjoy the idea of writing memories on a bib that is cool. I’m glad you had a great last race and here is to a successful move! :)

4. Congrats on the race, I couldn’t agree more with not missing out on friend time. What a better way to destress before a race!

Destress yes, but unfortunately, it causes distress… in the tummy! Still had a great time hanging with my friends and running, though. I actually had a much better run this morning, almost 7 miles and felt better the entire time, LOL. I’m a distance girl.

5. ladycoop says:

Good Luck with the move!!!

6. Cori H. says:

Hope you’re enjoying your last few days in Florence! I love that you’re wearing all purple in that picture. It’s my favorite color! Good luck with the move!

Thanks for the good luck wishes, Cori! It’s been an interesting past few days, and I have a few more interesting days coming up this week. More goodbye parties too!

7. I write on my bib too! It’s such a great way to remember the day :)

Yep I write on them and keep them all! They’re all packed now though, after I did this race I sealed my running stuff box (and I won’t let the movers move it either, it goes in my car!)

8. Rebecca says:

Ooh, I like the writing part on the bib! :D are you going to write on the rest of your numbers, or just that one? On your first race at your new home, will you write on that one, too?

Hehe. Have you seen Meet the Robinsons? Disney uses that quote for the movie. It’s true! I try to rely on that quote more. Well, the good news is that the past will always be in the past… I just always forget. :(

Have a wonderful evening! So… when is moving day? I look forward to hearing your moving adventures!

• Rebecca says:

Oh! And I just read your commentt above mine. You do write on them. Awesome! :)

I move on Friday. We’ll be returning on Saturday to clean our apartment and turn in the keys for good. Sad day but also a new beginning.

I will definitely write on my first Charleston race number that it was my first Charleston race. So far it looks like that will be around July 4 because I know there is one that day there.

9. Kara says:

I can tell how much you love Florence in this post (and many others!) but I know you’ll have no problem adjusting quickly to the new place. Good luck with the move!! Wish I could offer a hand but it’s a little far away :) hope the stress decreases soon… I hear you about the less-than-healthy habits when big changes are going on in your life…I’m struggling with that right now too! It’s okay though- you know what you’re doing and you will adjust back to “normal” as time goes on :)

Thanks Kara. The adjustment won’t be easy, but I’m not too far away and I’m already planning to visit sometimes (and have invited tons of people to visit me). Plus, social media also makes it a lot easier.

I’m sure once I’m settled, I can get back into my healthy habits. I’m actually doing that now, I figured a new week, fresh start on Monday morning!

10. Tiffany G. says:

I had fun coming out of *retirement* to do a 5k with you. :) i was surprised at my time in compared to my running solo regular times but as you already know running in 5k environment pushes you to want to do better. my tight hammies are probably proof of that lol. I don’t have a collection of numbers like you do but putting notes on ur numbers seems like a great idea :)

It’s not too late for you to start a collection :).

Glad you did better Saturday than you thought! Plus running solo you’re more tempted to take a break when you otherwise wouldn’t. Yoga is good for your hammies, you should give it a shot.

11. Gah! I’m gonna miss you so much! This post made me tear up just thinking about coming down in July without you there. :( I’ll do my best to make time to visit you in the Holy City while I’m in SC. You’re gonna take Charleston by storm and show them what it means to truly be the Tiny Terror. They’re lucky to get you. :)

Haha, I probably won’t win many more age group awards because there are a lot more runners (not that I run for that reason). I think I may run more half marathons anyway since I’ve found 3-4 of them down there.

You’re welcome to come visit me in Charleston anytime, but I’ve told a lot of people that so you may want to check a few weeks in advanced to make sure my spare bedroom isn’t booked!

12. i too love the idea of writing on the bib! looks like u had a lot of fun, even if u didn’t feel so hot from the fueling choices earlier…but dang girl u’ve been crazy busy so do cut urself some slack. :) in the end it’s the law of averages and u kno u usually opt healthier! super cute for those kiddies, wish them luck come next weekend…exciting!!

Yeah, I’m cutting myself some slack and I know when I get over the move, I’ll eat better and run better. Right now some things in life are having to take a backseat, but that’s okay. At least I’m still running at all, so many people would’ve just quit probably with all this going on!

13. I write on my bibs all of the time now too! I didn’t used to though, and started to about a year ago, but I plan to do it from now on, that is for sure :)
    Even though you didn’t feel the greatest, I think you are doing unbelievably well considering everything that has been going on-that whole relocating/moving thing, kind of a big deal! Plus, I think it’s fine to eat more junky food once in a while.. it shows that when we do, we don’t feel the great physically, but we are also giving ourselves permission to.. both a mental and physical teach experience

I agree- I know I don’t usually eat like this, and with the stress I’m under, that’s what is causing it. Once I get settled and have a little less stress, my diet will be back like it usually is, and I’ll feel better. Plus, it would suck to give up meals with friends and other fun times to stick to a certain diet.

14. Patty says:

Congrats on the move! Moves are definitely stressful, and it’s hard to move on, but at least running is a great way to connect with people, as I’m sure you will in your new town!

Best of luck to Clay on Monday!! Try not to stress! (Easier said than done, I know!)

It went pretty well for him this week. He was super smiley this evening when he got back to Florence (he took tomorrow off so we can move). I’m sure I’ll make a lot of new friends through running, too!