Dropping the Pen

With so many friends, social networking accounts, and a blog, I’ve never been good at keeping things under wraps. So, I’m going to come out and apologize to anyone who’s found me a little… weird lately. Anxious, worrisome, short (in attitude- not stature, as that’s always a given), or resembling a passenger on the Hot Mess Express train. I’ve had a lot on my mind.

We’re relocating to Charleston.

Clay has accepted an amazing opportunity as a computer programmer at a company in Charleston, so this is all happening very fast for me.

Moving away is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do- granted I’m only 26 and have lived a very sheltered life. I graduated from college here, settled down here to work as a technical writer for five years at two different companies, grew to love running through the humid swamps, got engaged and married here (at my alma mater!), and started coaching young runners here.

Florence will forever have a special place in my heart- even if I didn’t grow up here, I grew up here. Somewhere in there, a scared 17-year-old moving into the Belle Isle dorms at Francis Marion University with her high school best friend, transformed into a 26 year old married professional writer.

In almost nine years, I’ve lost about 20 pounds, a close lifelong best friend (miss you Danielle!), two grandmas, and a career path I never wanted to take. I’ve gained an amazing husband (Majoring in biology for two years did pay off- just not monetarily), numerous friends who’ve come and gone and stuck around or not, coworkers I love, and an amazing running community.

Leaving is difficult but due. As all writers know, no draft is ever complete- you find a good stopping place and let it be. Knowing when to drop the pen is the most difficult part of writing (and life), but it’s time to finish this chapter and begin a new one.

As Natasha Beddingfield says, the best is still unwritten.

I guess I should get started.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Charleston SC, Life after College, Married Life, The Handsome Husband. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Dropping the Pen

1. Amanda says:

Congratulations! It’s scary and exciting all at the same time, but the best thing to do is just love every minute. Dive right in and start meeting people. I hope the move is smooth and blessings are around every corner.

2. Wow that’s exciting! It must be hard leaving the place you really lived your life in. My family’s actually moving to a different part of town than we currently live in so not as big of a change but it’s so weird having to leave the house I’ve lived in since I was 12. Good luck on the move and with packing!

Yeah, it is exciting. Even moving to a different part of town is a change though leaving a house behind, but you can make new memories in a new home and new friends in another part of town. Plus there’s new restaurants, stores, etc to explore!

3. Well wow, how very exciting Amy! I know this is a stressful and mentally hard time right now, but it sounds like you are handling it all with the best of your ability, and doing a great job! Good luck with everything, I can’t wait to read how it all goes :)

Yeah, it is stressful. I’m definitely handling it a lot better than I thought I would! I’m grateful to have a strong support system though, and of course a job is a good reason for moving :).

4. Cori H. says:

Congrats to Clay! I know this has to be exciting and sad for you at the same time. How far is Charleston from Florence? Hope it’s an easy transition for you both. I’ll be praying for y’all!

It’s about 2 hours away by 95 and 26. So I’ll be able to visit occasionally and people can come see me too! I’ve already invited anyone over who wants to come stay in our spare bedroom!

5. Congrats on the move! Moving can be nuts and scary at times, but it opens up soooo many new things to do and people to meet over time!! That’s what I love about moving for my job; new experiences that help me grow! Yay for you!!!

Yeah- you definitely move around a lot! But I guess you get used to it too. I could probably use some moving tips from you on getting rid of stuff too… *looks around living room*. And you’re about to have a very amazing experience soon that you wouldn’t get if you weren’t willing to move.

6. Wow what a big change! I can’t belive it but I’m so happy for you (of course) at the same time!

7. oh my goodness, u have to be full of so many emotions: excitement at the prospects the new change brings but rightly reminiscent and sad to go!!! as fast as things seem to be moving for u try to just take it one day/thing at a time and know in the end it will be okay. u’ll have clay with u when u move and u will of course meet new friends and connections there too…and even find some awesome new running routes. :) u’re not losing ur ‘old friends’ either thanks to all this crazy social media. but i know how tough this has to feel…take care and try not to get too sad!

Oh definitely, there are tons of places to run down there and a lot more races (but super tough competition too!). And people will miss me once I leave, I guess that will be an interesting feeling! Thanks for the support!

8. lindsay says:

i already said it… but i’m so excited and jealous! :) i didn’t know you weren’t always from florence, for some reason i assumed you were. change is hard, but i’m pretty sure it always leads to something better. luckily you have clay and the two of you can conquer it all.

I’m from close to Florence- I actually grew up in a small town around an hour away and a little closer to the coast. But I really identify with Florence and have liked living here. It gets a bad rep sometimes- it’s really not a bad place to live :).

9. Congrats! My sister goes to school there and freaking loves it. I mean loves it, I mean she never wants to come home and will probably end up there after Charleston. I love visiting her, that place is seriously amazing.

Thanks :). Yeah, a lot of people who come to the south for college end up sticking around, I’ve noticed that. I’ll be right there if you wanna have a blogger meetup!

10. That is SO exciting! I’m sure it’s scary but you’ll make it through just fine :)

11. How exciting!!! i know it can be scary. But think of all the opportunities that can be there! Also, there might be some great running trails. I also find a change of scenery can be good. I’m sure it can be very stressful, just take one day at a time. We are here for ya!

12. Kara says:

Wow!! That is exciting! And scary, I know! I think I actually stopped in Charleston when driving to Georgia (not positive though). Do you have to get a new job? How far is it from where you are now?! This will be great for you i’m sure :) :)

13. allieksmith says:

Congrats on the move! I know you can do this :)

I can’t wait to hear ALL about your journey <3