Five Question Friday: Afternoon Runs, Anxiety, and Avoiding the Prom

Five Question FridayHey guys! I hope everyone’s had a great week.

Mine has been a little emotionally crazy due to Clay’s upcoming graduation and job search. This graduation and job search are even more stressful than the one five years ago. There’s definitely a lot more on the line this time around.

Not one for spontaneity, I have trouble dealing with the unknown, which is huge when the unknown includes living and working situations in the next six months. Hey, I don’t do well with not knowing what I’m having for lunch by 10:00 in the morning…

Nevertheless, Clay finished his exams and programs and is just waiting on graduation right now (there’s a hint for upcoming blog posts).

I’ve run once on my own and twice with friends this week. Running with a group is always a highlight, and five of us got together yesterday to run and walk the Race for Taylor course (you can read my recap of last year’s race here). This is a great afternoon running route because it’s 3.1 miles and begins and ends conveniently close to a bathroom (inside Walmart, but hey). The neighborhood doesn’t have a ton of traffic, it’s shaded and relatively flat, and running the course prior to race day is a good idea.

Running (or walking!) the Race for Taylor course *ON* race day is even better, Florence peeps ;). Hint hint…

Some of us crazy runners last year at the race.

My rockstar running friends (Susan, Tiffany, Colea, and Al) and I hit the roads, and Al saved the day with a case of Gatorade in the trunk of his car! Some people keep junk in their trunk, but not Al. He surprised everyone and passed out Gatorade after the run- my kind of running buddy!

Today I’m linking up with Five Crooked Halos for Five Question Friday.

1. What did you wear to prom? Include a picture if possible.

I never went to prom or planned to go. I was actually sick the night of my junior prom, and for my senior prom, I ended up spending the night with my friend Danielle, who was a few grades behind me. I think we just watched movies and chilled, and maybe we went out to eat. Don’t think any pictures were taken that night.

I went to a Hollywood-themed dance my freshman year of college and took a picture that’s similar to a prom picture. My parents still have the picture up on a shelf at their house, and for all parental prom picture purposes, that was my “prom”. I wore a short velour looking dress, nothing too special, and the guy I went with wore a blue dress shirt and tie.

I have no regrets about missing the prom. High school wasn’t the easiest time of life for me, and those years definitely weren’t the “best years of my life”. I always knew I was a weird kid, and lately I’ve realized that apparently I wasn’t alone- other weird kids are out there, but they all have their little place in this world, and that’s fine.

2. Would you rather be on the biggest loser or a food eating challenge?

Neither- both encourage disordered relationships with food. For years, I watched and followed The Biggest Loser but now I can’t stand it. Rapid weight loss, dehydration, and overexercise is not good for anyone, and bingeing and overeating is not a “challenge” or “contest”. These are serious issues that numerous people struggle with each day, and I think the way our culture looks at them- as well as how our culture looks at food, exercise, and diet in general- are the reason why America has an epidemic of both obesity and eating disorders.

The two are more closely related than you might think.

With that said, the 24 hour gym access on the Biggest Loser would be nice. I could work out on Sunday evenings…

3. What’s your favorite Sonic drink or refreshing summer drink?

I usually stick to coffee and water. I’ve had vanilla diet coke from Sonic when laying by the pool, and it certainly tasted good.

I had an amazing cup of Powerade the other day between my 6 mile run and coaching track (Coach Bill always preaches about not drinking sodas, and to be respectful, I didn’t want to show up at the field with one). The Walmart across from the track doesn’t sell cold, bottled, sports drinks- so I had no choice but to hit the McDonald’s inside for some blue flavored Powerade. I’m sure the flavor has a name- probably “Blue Thunder” or something like that, but nobody pays attention after 6 miles.

I drank an entire cup of Powerade standing at the soda machine, then refilled my cup before heading out to coach. That’s like a buy one get one free deal right there.

4. What was your first car, and what did you call it?

It was a 1995 Ford Probe, and I called it my first car. I still remember my dad surprising me by picking me up from school in it. I hadn’t asked for a car- I think he felt guilty that I was learning to drive on my mom’s Mercury Grand Marquis and wanted me to have something sportier.

Me with car. Circa 2004.

I drove that car through my junior year of college until I got the car I have now- a 2001 Honda Accord. Yes, my car is 11 years old, I have no plans to get a newer one anytime soon, and except when it stalls when I’m on my way to a race, it runs great.

Well, at least I ran pretty well that day- makes one of us.

Not my first car, but definitely me sitting in a car! Spring 2008.

5. What’s one thing your spouse does that sends you over the edge?

I can’t really think of anything Clay does that truly sends me over the edge. He’d probably say I was over the edge before we ever met. Sometimes I wish he’d keep his room cleaner. I think now that he’s done with school and has more time, he will. Every couple has their little annoyances, but we’re both pretty patient with each other.

Q1.) Tell me about how a friend surprised you recently!

Q2.) Answer any of the other questions above :).

About these ads
This entry was posted in Five Question Friday and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Five Question Friday: Afternoon Runs, Anxiety, and Avoiding the Prom

1. Cori says:

Congrats to Clay for finishing school! Sounds like he’s had a lot on his place while getting his 2nd degree, but I know it’s worth it! I went to my Junior prom and honestly, it was such a boring night. I decided not to go to my Senior prom. Instead, I hung out with my friend Halie who was also ditching the prom. We had a great time! My car is also a 2001. It’s paid for and has low miles for its age. I definitely don’t want to take on a car payment anytime soon even though it would be nice to have a newer car. Hope you have a great weekend!

I actually plan to pay cash for my next car, and have been “making the car payments to myself” for a few years now. I’m on the Dave Ramsey plan, only less religious and I don’t think credit cards are inherently bad. To me a car is a car and I’m not all about having the latest and greatest. I’d rather spend my money on cruises and vacations and road races.

Most people I talked to who went to the prom were a little disappointed. I think it’s one of those things you anticipate so much, you have an “ideal” of how the night will turn out, and things usually don’t work that way in life, so we’re disappointed.

Clay’s had a ton on his plate, but he’ll have his own blog post about that :).

2. Patty says:

Congrats to Clay! That fantastic! I loved this post. Cheers to being weird kids in school :) Its a good crowd. Your race looks fun! Running in groups is definitely an awesome way to get hyped!

My first car was an 89′ camry. It was brown with peeling paint and the ceiling inside drooped. My parents kept it for years so they could teach me how to drive stick on it. It was such an eye sore but it could really book it. I called it the flying piece of…

Have a lovely weekend lady!

I actually think driving an older first car or something like that gives you character. Clay and I have discussed this, and we said if we have kids, their first car won’t be something nice and brand new, etc. Although I have to say I had a pretty awesome first car compared to a lot of friends.

The support you get running with a group is unlike no other, and the accountability I get from my running friends keeps me out there sometimes when I don’t want to be. Pretty sure I’ve kept some peeps going myself too!

3. Andre D. Gaddy says:

Great Blog!!!

4. hehe my car is 2000 and I absolutely adore it as well. People that cycle through cars so quickly are ridiculous.

I know I was a somewhat interesting character is high school and late middle school as well so I feel you on that. Plus kids are just about at the rudest point at that time so it makes it even worse!

Yeah, the preteen/early teenagers are the worst to deal with sometimes. I feel kinda bad for my parents at that stage now that I’m older and realize just how much of a drama queen I could be sometimes!

Nothing wrong with an older car :)

5. I am sorry you are a bit worried about the post-grad job situation.. I certainly understand your words when you say you are not one for the unknown. I am sooo the same way and hate not having a plan in mind or a clear idea of what I am doing. I am sure a job will come along soon though, just try not to stress as much as you can now!
    I actually really enjoyed both of my proms, senior especially because that was the year I had a large group of friends in high school. Without them though it would have stunk!

Yeah, I’m trying not to stress. I have a good support system (between my coworkers and friends), so that’s nice. Although I dread if I move and have to leave that support system behind for a place where I don’t know a lot of people. I’m glad you enjoyed your proms!

6. I didn’t go to prom either. Both were when I was really struggling with my ED and I kinda lost touch with all the friends I’d had since elementary school plus I was super self-conscious so I didn’t really feel up to going to prom.

My first car is/was a blue 2003 Subaru Impreza wagon. It was the first car I learned to drive in and once I got my license, I drove it to school every day my senior year. It was hard going to college and not having a car for my first two years–but I think I’ll be getting the Subaru back for next school year since I’ll be living off-campus. The car has almost 150,000 miles on it but it’s never had any major problems and I still like it.

Yeah, it would stink to not have a car for two years at college. Actually, it was nearly impossible at my college. Even if you lived in the dorms, you weren’t close enough to walk to anything except class and three gas stations. It was definitely a commuter campus. Glad you get to have your car next year- any car is better than none, and if it runs well with that many miles, it works :).

Very sorry about the reason you didn’t go to prom. I didn’t miss prom for that reason, but as someone who missed it, don’t ever feel like you were alone in not going.

7. chasingthekenyans says:

i didn’t go to jr. prom but i went to sr prom with a friend who had just broken up with her boyfriend like the day before (she asked me to go with her since she had the tickets anyway – he didn’t go to our school). for some reason i already had a prom dress ?? i’m not sure why/how i ever talked my mom into buying one without having set plans to go… anyway, so i just went with friends really. i don’t recall it being super fun? haha. the after party was fun – a friend’s parents had us all over (so it was supervised) and they had arcade-like game machines in the basement and stuff.

A lot of people went to the prom with friends at my school too- just big groups of people who wanted to go and have a good time but didn’t have dates. That’s so sad that the guy broke up with her right before it, though!

8. Can I just say you ROCK! I’m a senior in high school, and I’m dreading prom. I just got an email through about our senior prom which goes from 5 PM until 3:30 AM the next morning! And it’s on a boat, so there’s no escaping it! Ugh. Everybody else is so psyched, but I’m dreading it. I don’t want to stand around in high heels for xx hours on a boat all night! Oh- and our prom costs 140 dollars to attend! I know, right?! Maybe I should reconsider not going. Be an individual like you:)

Yeah, ours cost a bunch too! I just didn’t feel like paying it, along with having to pay for a dress, hair, makeup, etc. It’s really an expensive event for such a broke high school population!