Ebenezer Miles for Missions 12K and Restful Saturday Recap

Happy Sunday Peeps :). I hope everyone’s having a great weekend and staying warm!

Our temperatures took a nose-dive downward and it’s now too cold to wear shorts. The high today is only supposed to be in the 40s, and the wind chill made last night’s temperatures seem to be in the teens. Fortunately, we’ll be back in the 60s by Wednesday, and this is the first real winter cold we’ve had so far. I guess everyone who got a new coat for Christmas (including my husband) can finally wear it for a day or two…

Fortunately, the cold and winds held off until last night, which meant that the weather was great for the 12K race I did. The Ebenezer Baptist Miles for Missions 5k/12k was Saturday morning at 8 AM, and the fact that I live super close to the race made up for the early start time.

Here we go!

I’ve never actually raced a 12K before, so I wasn’t really sure how to train, so I tried to do as many longer (meaning 5 miles or more) runs as I could in the past month or so. I also ran the 12K distance probably 4 times to get used to pacing myself for 7.45 miles (even though everyone’s GPS watch or RunKeeper said the race was actually 7.7 miles).

I also loaded more songs on my iPod. Longer race = Need more music. I don’t see how people can do races longer than 5K without music.

This was the race’s first year, and it was really well attended- 121 people did the 5K, and 35 people did the 12K. A bunch of us from work ran it, along with some of my other runner friends like Colea and Running Tracts, the Coward running club (No, that’s not a typo- South Carolina has a town named Coward). We even convinced Nick to run the 12K the night before the race :).

My running buddy Colea and I pre-race

One of my coworkers at ACS is actually going on the mission trip that the race funded, so it was pretty neat to have a personal connection to the cause.

Hoping Sharon's trip to Kenya goes well!

The course was really well marked and had lots of volunteers with water stations (4 total for the 12Kers) and police presence- which was really nice considering we had to run over an overpass. I hate running over bridges or overpasses and looked the other direction- NOT toward the cars below- the whole time. The weather wasn’t bad (little chilly, calm winds, sunny) and the road was pretty much empty of cars at 8 AM.

The 12K peeps also had to run past the 5Kers finish line- what a tease!

I really didn’t pass many people (I did pass two of my fellow track coaches…) and tried to keep up with the same lady the last half of the race. I kept up with her, but never could pass- she beat me by one second. Since she’s the mom of one of the kids I coach and a really nice lady raising another amazing runner, it’s all good :).

Some ACSers after the race...

I finished in 1:01:56, for a 7.7 mile course, and it was about an 8:01 pace. That’s my usual pace for pretty much any distance lately; I’m definitely a distance girl and do better in long races. I was the 2nd place female overall :). Pretty sure I owe it to the delicious Snickers cupcake I had the day before…

One of the little boys from the Track Club won 3rd place overall in the 5K (yes, he is 8 years old and was 2nd place overall male). He outran his dad and all of us coaches were super proud of him, even though we can’t keep up with him either ;). The ACS crowd pretty much all said they did better than they expected, and Nick surprised himself, running about a 10:00 mile pace (ran the whole time) with Colea. Pretty good for deciding to race the night before ;).

Nick and Colea :)

I got a cute t-shirt that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day and a sweet red coffee mug as a prize. I love medals and plaques, but with the way I drive coffee, this mug will definitely hardcore use- especially if the weather keeps up!

This was a great race and very well organized. The church actually asked us for our feedback, but all of us who ran it really enjoyed ourselves and said we’d run it again and wouldn’t change anything.

After the race, I came home and took a nice hot shower, ate lunch, and watched Gossip Girl and Clueless. Clueless is the quintessential 90s movie and always reminds me of junior high- As if! I basically snuggled in front of the TV all. day. long. and didn’t even get dressed to leave the house!

The wind picked up that evening, so Clay and I opted for Papa John’s delivery for dinner. I had a coupon for a free one-topping, so we got that and some wings (for him) and stayed inside and watched The Source Code. He got it from Netflix, and it was definitely a weird movie but really good, if you haven’t seen it. We like nerd movies :).

Since I’m officially caught up with running and resting, I’m going to make a grocery list and head to the grocery store and then the gym… and stay warm :).

Q1.) Which movies remind you of your childhood? Well… Disney movies like Aladden remind me of elementary school, along with movies like Heidi, Little Rascals, Home Alone, Richie Rich, and A Little Princess. Clueless reminds me of my middle school/junior high days. As for high school, I always think of Remembering the Titans because I saw that when it came out, either my junior or senior year (don’t remember).

Q2.) Would you prefer prizes like medals or plaques, or something you can use (coffee mugs, hats, gift cards)? To me, the coolest “memento” type prizes are those that are handmade (wood-carved plaque from the Polar Bear 5K). Otherwise, I’d rather get something like the coffee mug because I can use it. Medals are fun if they’re personalized with the race name and place, but even those tend to just collect dust…

Q3.) Do you get pizzas delivered or go to the restaurant and pick them up? We do a mixture of both, usually picking them up ourselves, but we were more than happy to pay the delivery charge and tip last night instead of getting dressed and going out!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Race Recaps, Running and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Ebenezer Miles for Missions 12K and Restful Saturday Recap

1. Kara says:

Awesome job with the race! I think I prefer medals because I like to hang them up as a reminder of what I’ve accomplished…or, for the bigger races, put them in a shadow box/frame with my bib #. I’m totally going to have a sports room in my house one day and hang them all up in there!

I have all my bibs hanging on my cubicle wall at work, and I have my medals on a medal hanger. I actually have a wall and a shelf in my room for my running swag. I like some of my medals, especially the nice ones with the race name and date and award name on them. However, if a medal just says “5K”, surrounded by studs and looks like it’s bedazzled (yes, I have this hanging on my wall), I’d honestly prefer a coffee mug.

2. Serial says:

Congrats on the finish!

And YES. It’s so freaking cold! We went through the house last night finding drafts and tacking towels to them (drafty old farm house FTW) but I still can’t get my house above about 65. BRRR!

Thanks! Yeah, that’s gotta suck living somewhere so drafty. Fortunately I think it’s supposed to warm up by Wednesday and we’ll be back in the 60s… couldn’t come fast enough!

3. Rebecca says:

Wow! I feel like a bum. Hehe. I’ve been slowly getting back into exercising, and I’ve been taking walks throughout these past few weeks. But way to go on the 12K!! That’s amazing! :D :D

I’ve never been on a missions trip, but I’ve always wanted to go on one. The opportunities that I had, I was “too young,” according to my parents. And looking back now, I guess I was a little young to be traveling with teenagers. And as I’ve gotten older, I haven’t really had as much opportunities. A missions trip is on my list of travel dreams though. :)

Oh, I’ve consumed a lot of pizza lately. Too much. Just had leftovers today!

• Rebecca says:

Oops. Not done. One moment…

• Rebecca says:

Q1. Lots of movies remind me of my childhood! :D The Lion King, Home Alone, Bambi, Back to the Future 1,2,3, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, The Princess Diaries, The Princess Bride, Mulan, The Lizzie Mcguire movie, Toy Story, Adventures in Babysitting.

Q2. Oh, I don’t know. I think it’d be cool to have my name on a plaque, like the plaque Sigma Tau Delta in the Humanities office at MVNU. But then, I like the idea of having things that I can use. :)

Q3. When I’m with my parents, we pick them up, because my parents live out in the country. But at college and now in my apartment, it’s nice to have delivery… especially in the winter. :)

4. Wow great job girl! I have never raced a 12k either. I would have no idea how to train either but Im’ glad you did so well. I’m def a distance type of girl too! ;)

Thanks, yeah 12K isn’t a really common distance, so it was neat… instant PR :). You’re super fast even if you are a distance runner, I wish I could run a 5K at your pace… or even something remotely close to your pace!

5. Patty says:

Congrats on the race!!!

I LOVEEE the morning bed quote. You summed me up! Have a great week chica!

6. Tiffany G. says:

Congrats on the run amy-proud of you girl :) -i wish my legs would get back right :-/
    lol @ the morning bed pic
    and speakin of childhood movies i watched lion king this weekend-i felt like a kid again lol

Thanks! I really hate that you’re having all this trouble. You could always try doing Couch to 5K or something that is 3 interval runs a week and that might be easier on your body than trying to run straight out like you were before.

I haven’t seen the Lion King in forever. When you move, we have to get together and have a kids movie night!

7. way to go speedy, you did great!

8. Wooo Amy you are amazing! Congrats on the second place finish as well…. I am sure your speed and talent helped., although the cake might have a bit too :) A perfect way to fuel if you ask me!

9. Good job with the race! I love that it was for a good cause too.

One of my favorite movies from my childhood is Parent Trap, the version with Lindsay Lohan. My sister and I used to be so obsessed with that movie that we named our American Girl dolls after the twins, Hallie and Annie!

I haven’t gotten delivery pizza in forever, mostly because I don’t eat cheese and most delivery pizza places don’t offer cheeseless pizzas and also because my house is too far out for the delivery people so we always just end up picking up pizzas from the store or making it ourselves.

Thanks girlie :). I loved my American Girl doll, but I feel old because she actually had a name and was a historical character… by the time the girl of today ones came out I was pretty much too old for them.

I’ve wanted to try cheeseless pizza… I noticed when ordering there was a thing on the website where you could have them use less or no cheese. I do eat cheese, but I don’t like pizza to have a ton of cheese on it, though. I bet if you made a request at a nice pizza parlor, they’d do it for you.

I saw Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan (before she went berserk!) with my cousins at the movie theatre :). Fun times!

10. Sarah says:

Love love love your blog :) Congrats on the 12k! LOL the morning quote is cute!

11. Pingback: {Race Recap} Run for Brighter Days 5K/10K |